Is it illegal to carry your sidearm into a police station?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Small town police station that I have gone into has no problem with carrying there. Might depend on the officer. Couple of them ask me if I have anything new. Which if I do I show them.

I have carried at the Grant County Complex. If has the sheriff based there along with the jail. I never go into the jail side, but have carried in the sheriff's side as well as the other county buildings like the treasurer or some such.

There are no courts based here. There is no security that I am circumventing. There might be a wand or other metal detector in the jail side. I have fortunately never had to go through there.

Have I been doing this wrong the entire time?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have carried into several different police stations, with full knowledge and consent from the police occupants.
    At least one contained the county jail.
    I had been called by the sheriff's office regarding a deer road-kill. When I showed up at the scene the officer did not have a deer possession tag to give me for transporting.
    I needed paperwork for my processor to accept the deer, so I headed for the sheriff's office.
    It was after hours and the outer door was locked. I pressed the buzzer and explained why I was there. The dispatcher told me to come inside and wait for an officer.
    I told the dispatcher that I was armed and she said "that's o.k., come on in."

I've also sat in the front seat of a patrol car to give a statement while carrying. When the officer told me to get into the car, I told him I had a LTCH and that I was in fact carrying. He said, "You're not going to try to shoot me are you?" I assured him that was not my intention and he told me to go ahead and have a seat.

The answer to the O.P.'s question is a definite maybe...

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    I do not know the Indiana statutes for carrying in a police station. There is several interesting replies to this thread. I think that if I knew several of the LEO's in the station I may feel somewhat comfortable with entering the station while armed if in fact it is ok. Other than this situation, I do not think that I would enter a station without having left the firearm in my vehicle. I think a police station is a rather safe place. Whether it is allowed or not, I see the potential for bad outcomes.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I do not know the Indiana statutes for carrying in a police station. There is several interesting replies to this thread. I think that if I knew several of the LEO's in the station I may feel somewhat comfortable with entering the station while armed if in fact it is ok. Other than this situation, I do not think that I would enter a station without having left the firearm in my vehicle. I think a police station is a rather safe place. Whether it is allowed or not, I see the potential for bad outcomes.

There aren't any. That's why it's not illegal. That's what this thread is about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Better question, are you waving your firearm around threatening people? CPD has a holding area, a legit cell, steel doors, the whole works. I've seen people OC in the station. So while you technically may be breaking the law, I think if dealing with smart officers, it's a moot point. Keep it holstered.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The law you are all seeking is IC 35-44.1-3-5 Trafficking with an inmate

However, that law has been changed like 3 times in the last 3 years, so it is no longer a crime under that statute to carry into the building or to have it in the car in the parking lot, only to carry into the building "with intent to deliver to an inmate or child of that building."

There may be other applicable law, but that one is what used to trip people up.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    The law you are all seeking is IC 35-44.1-3-5 Trafficking with an inmate

However, that law has been changed like 3 times in the last 3 years, so it is no longer a crime under that statute to carry into the building or to have it in the car in the parking lot, only to carry into the building "with intent to deliver to an inmate or child of that building."

There may be other applicable law, but that one is what used to trip people up.

Hope that helps.

Blessings,
    Bill
    Section 5 (d) does not mention intent.
    A person who 1) is not an inmate of a penal facility or a child of a juvenile facility; and(2) knowingly or intentionally possesses in, or carries or causes to be brought into, the penal facility or juvenile facility a deadly weapon without the prior authorization of the person in charge of the penal facility or juvenile facility;commits carrying a deadly weapon into a correctional facility, a Level 5 felony

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    IANAL.

Most police stations do not have a jail. They probably do have holding rooms. That's where it gets sticky. My opinion (key word) is the fact that there is a holding rooms does not make it a place of confinement. If this was so it would also be illegal to carry in pretty much all malls in the state as most have holding cells. In my opinion a place of confinement is a place where the main purpose of the building is to house prisoners. This would obviously include jails and prisons. A police station is not a place typically designed to be for confinement. Another example is when people are given time by courts they sentence them to the IDOC or the county jail. They don't sentence you to serve your time at a police station or a holding cell at a mall. Now, if the police station is in the same building as the county jail or attached to the court house I wouldn't carry there.

Also, don't think just because there are police present at a police station that you are safe and don't need to carry. Believe it or not police stations are attacked by suicidal gunmen. Not often, but does happen.
    Here's what the judges will use:
    Ind. Code § 35-41-1-21 : Indiana Code - Section 35-41-1-21: "Penal facility" defined

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Section 5 (d) does not mention intent.

Going on old info and in a hurry... No excuse. You are correct. At one time, it was included under Trafficking with an Inmate, or so I was led to believe Guy taught in his classes. They've made it a felony at some point, and yes, you're right, carrying there is forbidden without permission of the person running it. I don't suspect that a dispatcher, an individual road officer, or a detective could give you that authorization. The sheriff could, at his HQ, or the police chief in his station. At an actual prison, you'd need the warden.

I'm going to PM Guy to see if he'll take a look and verify this, as well as any changes from what he taught at his classes.

Thanks again... I appreciate correct information.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    with all the changes I was seriously thinking about getting Guy back up here to Lake County to give his class again. Unfortunately my entire life is "on hold" right now.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    The Bartholomew Co. jail building also houses the sheriff's offices. I know you have to go into that building to the desk to get your Larry paperwork done. I was uncertain as to the carry rules in there when I helped a friend get their license packet done, but I asked after all was said and done, and it is perfectly legal and acceptable to carry in the lobby.

I did not carry into the jail when I was on a tour of the facility, and in fact, had to remove everything from my pockets, my watch, my rings, etc.

I have not had a need to go into the Columbus PD in several years, so I'm not sure of their stance.

I've carried into our little town hall/PD.

Kirk's second law - "It depends" - is the best answer.

Top Bottom