• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    Bleach, rubbing alcohol, toilet paper, eggs and everything in between has seen shortages and soaring prices. I beginning to think dog food is next.

In the past few weeks I have noticed the shelves at Meier and Walmart were spartanly stocked with dog food. (Feeding two German Shepherds keeps me up to date on the market.) Yesterday I went to Ruralking to pickup a 50lb +/- bag of feed. I normally buy ims or science diet and have watched the price creeping up every couple weeks. While I was at ruralking I noticed they had more empty space than they had dog food. No ims or science diet unless it was in the snack size bag. I finally found a brand, “victor” that had ingredients I understood and could pronounce. Left with few choices I bought it for more than $2.00 per pound!

Is anyone else noticing this or is it that I don’t get out much?

It seems like the same old thing. Create a false shortage and gouge the price. I think the boys are going to go on a raw diet if this keeps up.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Co-worker was just ranting about a half an hour ago he went to pick up a 50lb bag and it was only 42lbs.

Looks like its already here.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I'd urge you to transition to a raw diet anyway. It's what their foredogs would've wanted. Or at the least, start to supplement kibble with meat, bones, eggs, fish, some vegetables, berries.
    If you and mcderf have any ration mixes and/or insight I would appreciate the advise.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    My cat passed in October, and it was about September when the local Walmart started having serious issues keeping cat food in stock.

321205370_531914412294482_2623668301349992152_n.jpg

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My dog gets some type of Purina and it was really hard to find for months Pet Smart seemed to be the only place that had it, but it was often a slightly different variation month to month. Shelves had big gaps for a long time.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I typically buy dog food online between a couple of sources, and while yes, I have noticed significant price increases on the particular brands I purchase, I've been able to watch for promo codes and sales to offset some of that, etc so far as long as I don't want until I need it. The brand of dog food I buy is not carried in every local store, but have been able to get it delivered in a day or 2 on most orders.

The cat food brand and specific mix for their conditions, I purchase has been readily available in Tractor Supply and other local stores, and I try and do the same with it (offset the price hike buying in bulk when there is a coupon or promo).

Dechrissen

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 17, 2023
    Vermillion County
    If you and mcderf have any ration mixes and/or insight I would appreciate the advise.
    I've had small dogs (dachshunds) my whole life, and what I've always done is fed traditional kibble and then make about half the meal something else, like some meat, organ, egg, etc. And then I add some vegetables like carrot, spinach, whatever. You can even crack an egg and let them eat the shell, if they want it.

Sometimes I'll give my dachshund a whole chicken wing section and hold onto it for him while he takes bites of the bone and all. It goes down so quick, since chicken bones are soft. This is easy for me to say though, because he's so small so one chicken wing is a good portion. I can't say I know how to portion for a German shepherd.

Anyway, my last dachshund lived to 17! So I think it's a good balance without having to worry about portioning incorrectly on a fully raw diet. You can of course, if you do your research, but I have never been brave enough to try.

I'd suggest just sprinkling in a little of one other type of raw meat in their meals to start. Sometimes their stomachs have to adjust.

Good luck! Do your own research!

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    I have worked in the industry 15 yrs. This time of year our orders typically taper off for Proteins, pets eat less when it is warmer. The 1st Qtr. of 2023 has been a little below average. Not certain if some retailers aren't playing inventory games. I haven't heard of any severe shortages on ingredients. Packaging can come into play and can be a limiting factor also. We ship to Mars, Hill's, Nestle, Well Pet, Diamond, and a couple co-packers.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    3 working line GSD’s chewy is my best friend. About 70.00 bucks a week. Mixed kibble (ims) n boiled chicken with canned pumpkin.

That’s our dogs food.

Not giving advice, but listen to your vet. Best source of quality nutritional information.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    3 working line GSD’s chewy is my best friend. About 70.00 bucks a week. Mixed kibble (ims) n boiled chicken with canned pumpkin.

That’s our dogs food.

Not giving advice, but listen to your vet. Best source of quality nutritional information.
    We supplement our LGD’s diets as well, sweet potatoes, Rice, Minimal processed dog food.

They also have a regular diet of invaders too stupid to leave.

Yes our RK has increased their prices and often it is in short supply.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Animal or human? (or both) :nailbite: I mean, I've heard of hogs to get rid of evidence but not LGDs...
    Mostly coyote, skunks, possums, and other 4 legged predators. The mystery around here is how they take out the Skunks with out them doing their thing, (stinking things up) .

we have 20 kids on the ground right now, Everyone is in condition orange.

They take their jobs very seriously.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Mostly coyote, skunks, possums, and other 4 legged predators. The mystery around here is how they take out the Skunks with out them doing their thing, (stinking things up) .

we have 20 kids on the ground right now, Everyone is in condition orange.

They take their jobs very seriously.
    Mine haven’t figured the no stink skunk trick yet, we keep the fixens for skunk wash in the garage. We get a good (bad) one a couple times a year. The only thing that gets away is rabbits, they head to the woods, a few make it.

Top Bottom