• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I also know that there are some NATO troops--yes, including ours--over in Europe practicing some of their own "games." I'm wondering if these two are related. My father used to go across the pond once and a while during the Cold War for stuff like this whenever the Russians started rattling their sabres.

'Iran, Russia, China, Syria plan 'largest'... JPost - Middle East

We play games, they play games. Isn't that what Cliff Robertson said in "Three Days of the Condor"?

Don't see China or Russia doing much to help Syria, beyond this symbolic stuff.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    We play games, they play games. Isn't that what Cliff Robertson said in "Three Days of the Condor"?

Don't see China or Russia doing much to help Syria, beyond this symbolic stuff.

I disagree. I expect these "war games" will provide "plausible deniability" for Russian SPECOPS and advisors to aid the Assad regime against the rebels. Russia doesn't dare lose its only warm weather port. "War games" will allow it to help put down the rebellion and maintain its influence in the area.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    I disagree. I expect these "war games" will provide "plausible deniability" for Russian SPECOPS and advisors to aid the Assad regime against the rebels. Russia doesn't dare lose its only warm weather port. "War games" will allow it to help put down the rebellion and maintain its influence in the area.

Russia still has a navy? Based in the Mediterranean?

Even if the rebels win in Syria, why would we not expect it to go Hezbollah or Muslim Brotherhood? Just wait, the Arab Spring is going to entail more headaches than we could have imagined.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Russia still has a navy? Based in the Mediterranean?

Even if the rebels win in Syria, why would we not expect it to go Hezbollah or Muslim Brotherhood? Just wait, the Arab Spring is going to entail more headaches than we could have imagined.

Russia has a dearth of warm water/deep water ports, so they don't have a large navy, but they do have one and Syria has served as one of their warm/deep water ports. They've supported the military who are the power behind the Assad regime and they don't want to see their port or their influence be lost by a Muslim Brotherhood takeover of Syria.

And if the rebels win in Syria, they WILL go to the Muslim Brotherhood, which is the group most prepared to assume power after a successful revolution, just like they look to be doing in Egypt.

I suspect China wants to preserve its influence in the Middle East and Western Asia for access to oil and as a counter-balance to Russia's ambitions, since the US and its allies have ceded the struggle to them.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Russia has a dearth of warm water/deep water ports, so they don't have a large navy, but they do have one and Syria has served as one of their warm/deep water ports. They've supported the military who are the power behind the Assad regime and they don't want to see their port or their influence be lost by a Muslim Brotherhood takeover of Syria.

And if the rebels win in Syria, they WILL go to the Muslim Brotherhood, which is the group most prepared to assume power after a successful revolution, just like they look to be doing in Egypt.

I suspect China wants to preserve its influence in the Middle East and Western Asia for access to oil and as a counter-balance to Russia's ambitions, since the US and its allies have ceded the struggle to them.
    We know the Muslim Brotherhood will win, whatever Russia does, and Russia will have zero influence in Syria. Where is Russia's home port, aside from Murmansk and Vladivostok? Most of the Black Sea stuff went with Ukraine...

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    That article smells like BS.

Now why on earth would china russia and iran and syria work together on a war games.?!?!?

Now lets gather some facts

Active and reserves personnel size supposedly ready or semi ready to go to war.

Russia armed forces sixe aprox.: 2.2 million
    China armed forces size aprox. 4.6 million
    Iran aprox:3.8 million
    North korea aprox. 9.5 million
    Syria:0.7 million

And the us aprox 2.9 million
    Uk : 0.4 million
    isreal. :0.7million

The numbers are not good. But china while having a small army compared to its population has a so many it could use as human shields, russia too has alot of people.

I just dont see these countries playing war games together. Russia and china have denied it.

If it was remotely true the USA Uk and isreal would be scrabbling.

I have not heard any real chatter.. sorry i will only believe it when i see it.

Fact is everyone is pretty much broke.. no one can afford such elaborate war games.

Uk is broke
    Russia is broke
    usa broke
    North korea broke
    china is possibly broke due to korea
    Spain broke
    greece broke
    irland broke
    Iran no so broke
    Isreal not so broke
    Cuba broke
    I will not go on.

The problem is all the big players are pretty much bankrupt.

And no one is talking about the world shortage of food!!!!!

Wake up everyone.. we are pretty much at maximum yeild for food.production at the moment.. food prices continue to soar... all this crap in the media is to side track the real global issues...

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    That article smells like BS.

Now why on earth would china russia and iran and syria work together on a war games.?!?!?

For the same reasons other countries do , to improve their inter operational efficiencies / capabilities .

Also to stop our expansion / exporting democracy / regime changing in the region and to make sure they have "first dibs" on the regions natural resources .

I just dont see these countries playing war games together. Russia and china have denied it.

Um , it's not like either / all of those countries are bastions of transparency or truth .

If it was remotely true the USA Uk and isreal would be scrabbling.
    Could be something to do with the recent announcement that navel forces are / will be shifting their attention from the Atlantic to the Pacific theaters .

Or , the fact that we've moved 2-3 carriers / battle groups to the region .

I have not heard any real chatter.. sorry i will only believe it when i see it.
    Videos can be found on YouTube of "generals" giving interviews on "official" news stations of their respective countries saying that if we (U.S) get involved in Iran / Syria like we did in Lybia then we will pay a heavy price .

Fact is everyone is pretty much broke.. no one can afford such elaborate war games..

Yet both Russia and China are so broke that they are spending billions upgrading / modernizing their militaries .

"Broke" has nothing to do with it when both countries employ conscription .

My theory , we (U.S) can go "toe to toe" with ANY ONE NATION and win the fight .

Now take into consideration the length of our recent wars , the expenditures of blood , equipment and treasure .

The seemingly apathetic malaise over the general population , distrust / disgust of politicians , border problems and all the rest of the problems we have .

IMO , it looks like we're creeping toward WW3 .

I think they've figured out that if they work together they can put a real hurtin on us .

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    How would Iran, Russia and China get enough troops into Syria to stage a large Wargame?

How could Syria afford to pull troops out of their civil war to participate?

Since when are Russia and China friendly enough to do something like that together?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    How would Iran, Russia and China get enough troops into Syria to stage a large Wargame?

How could Syria afford to pull troops out of their civil war to participate?

Since when are Russia and China friendly enough to do something like that together?

I expect they'll have their "war games" in and about the vicinity of Syria itself. Russia and China will likely use their limited seagoing capability to provide a screen for airlifted Spetznatz and Chinese Marines, which should be plentiful enough to help the Syrian military (which really controls the government) put down the revolution.

Top Bottom