Here's an interesting yard sign:
    NothingInside.jpg

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Awesome sign, yet this stuff only begs for thieves to challenge it. Kinda the same as OC Vs CC, nothing wrong with either. But OC provokes people to think they are a bill bad a$$ and challenge it.

You won't know I have a shotgun till you get inside my house, then it will be to late to re-think your strategy, my job is to take away there planned move.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Have you thought of it as a deterrent rather than bait?

I personally don't agree with your assessment that it will draw in people who seek to challenge it. IMO, that is simply foolish and beyond the level of most people. Is it better to have the jump on an intruder or to prevent them from ever intruding? No offense meant, but I think we may just have to agree to disagree on this one, I think we are 180 degrees apart.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    Awesome sign, yet this stuff only begs for thieves to challenge it. Kinda the same as OC Vs CC, nothing wrong with either. But OC provokes people to think they are a bill bad a$$ and challenge it.

Well, if they enjoy challenging that sign, how about the ones that say "Danger High Voltage" or "Warning Guard Dog" or "Do not lick the frozen lamp post"

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    Have you thought of it as a deterrent rather than bait?

I personally don't agree with your assessment that it will draw in people who seek to challenge it. IMO, that is simply foolish and beyond the level of most people. Is it better to have the jump on an intruder or to prevent them from ever intruding? No offense meant, but I think we may just have to agree to disagree on this one, I think we are 180 degrees apart.

Agreed, I've been a big guy all my life and I can vouch personally that just because I'm big (all over) people assume I can carry or lift anything. Granted I can carry/lift some hefty amounts but this is mainly due to me lugging this big ol body around. I have had guys want to arm wrestle because of my size. This is the same mentality as "some" have I'm sure when "lurking" or "scoping" an area. I'm sure that there is a large portion of people who do look at the glass half full (meaning; Hey this guy/girl has a gun, F*ck breaking in there) but then you have the glass half empty people also (meaning; **** this dude thinks we're scared of a gun, grab that crow bar and lets show this John Wayne<Taken from Jack Ryan :D:rockwoot:).

If I/we could know that placing a warning outside our homes stating, "Listen you punk thieves, we're sick of people not working and then stealing from the ones who do. So if you break in my home with force I will assume you know I can place 7 shots inside a dollar bill and will assume you intend to cause injury if need be" then every gun owners house would be painted in these signs. Truth is, thieves have no morals, no values, thats what makes them thieves. They're scum and don't care if they are stealing from someone who is as rich as Bill Gates or as poor as the homeless man under the Interstate over pass.

Criminals in general have no limitations, I went to school with 2 guys in this link and then read about them in the paper. Tell me if it was just some guys trying to have some fun? Or if they were scared by the guaranteed consequences? Again, none of this is meant to be pissy towards you. I just don't have a tolerance for criminals.

3 charged with plan to bomb homeless man's shack | WSBT South Bend - Your Local News Leader | Regional

Well, if they enjoy challenging that sign, how about the ones that say "Danger High Voltage" or "Warning Guard Dog" or "Do not lick the frozen lamp post"

Never seen "The Christmas Story" have you? :D

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

You won't know I have a shotgun till you get inside my house, then it will be to late to re-think your strategy, my job is to take away there planned move.

My arguement has already been covered from others above. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Agreed, I've been a big guy all my life and I can vouch personally that just because I'm big (all over) people assume I can carry or lift anything. Granted I can carry/lift some hefty amounts but this is mainly due to me lugging this big ol body around. I have had guys want to arm wrestle because of my size. This is the same mentality as "some" have I'm sure when "lurking" or "scoping" an area. I'm sure that there is a large portion of people who do look at the glass half full (meaning; Hey this guy/girl has a gun, F*ck breaking in there) but then you have the glass half empty people also (meaning; **** this dude thinks we're scared of a gun, grab that crow bar and lets show this John Wayne<Taken from Jack Ryan :D:rockwoot:).

If I/we could know that placing a warning outside our homes stating, "Listen you punk thieves, we're sick of people not working and then stealing from the ones who do. So if you break in my home with force I will assume you know I can place 7 shots inside a dollar bill and will assume you intend to cause injury if need be" then every gun owners house would be painted in these signs. Truth is, thieves have no morals, no values, thats what makes them thieves. They're scum and don't care if they are stealing from someone who is as rich as Bill Gates or as poor as the homeless man under the Interstate over pass.

Criminals in general have no limitations, I went to school with 2 guys in this link and then read about them in the paper. Tell me if it was just some guys trying to have some fun? Or if they were scared by the guaranteed consequences? Again, none of this is meant to be pissy towards you. I just don't have a tolerance for criminals.

3 charged with plan to bomb homeless man's shack | WSBT South Bend - Your Local News Leader | Regional

Never seen "The Christmas Story" have you? :D

I am not sure, but perhaps we agree more than I originally thought. Criminals do have no values, except for self preservation. Sure, some out there will be stupid enough to enjoy a "challenge". I may be naive, but I think that most people, when threatened with harm, will find an easier way. It's like locking your car at the mall. Sure, someone could knock out the glass and get what they want, or they could go to the next car that is unlocked. Does this mean that the act of locking your car is enticing to some criminals who like a challenge? Well, I suppose that a few would think this way. However, I maintain that most thieves would move on to an easier target. I feel that this is a good analogy, except that the original discussion puts the perp's life in danger. If that doesn't wake up a criminal, what will?

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think the overwhelming majority of criminals would not interpret that sign as a challenge, but would use it as an indication to move on to greener pastures. I am not a criminal so I don't know how they think, but nobody wants to be shot. Self-preservation is a pretty universal value.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I am not sure, but perhaps we agree more than I originally thought. Criminals do have no values, except for self preservation. Sure, some out there will be stupid enough to enjoy a "challenge". I may be naive, but I think that most people, when threatened with harm, will find an easier way. It's like locking your car at the mall. Sure, someone could knock out the glass and get what they want, or they could go to the next car that is unlocked. Does this mean that the act of locking your car is enticing to some criminals who like a challenge? Well, I suppose that a few would think this way. However, I maintain that most thieves would move on to an easier target. I feel that this is a good analogy, except that the original discussion puts the perp's life in danger. If that doesn't wake up a criminal, what will?

I am not saying you are wrong, but I think the overwhelming majority of criminals would not interpret that sign as a challenge, but would use it as an indication to move on to greener pastures. I am not a criminal so I don't know how they think, but nobody wants to be shot. Self-preservation is a pretty universal value.

Yeah, I have to agree with you...I know that home alarm systems are not that functional, other than the sounding ALERT shock that possibly neighbors will hear and also knowing that cops will soon arrive. Placing those alarm signs in front of your home must deter a segment of criminals. The signs use to not deter some, as they knew how to get around them, but with battery and cell phone backups on the systems, definitely make an intruder think twice before they target a home with a security system.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Criminals take the path of least resistance. This is NOT that path.

I like the sign, but doubt I would put one out to taunt them (back to the inevitable lawsuit after the fact :noway:). I'm not concerned at all about being 'challenged' by the BG, I'd just hate to have it turned into some sort of "you meant to kill the SOB" type of thing in court.

I agree completely that most BG's are lazy shmucks, which is why they don't earn their money like the rest of us. They will definitely take the path of least resistance if they can in most cases, which is why burglar alarms tend to deter. The alarm sure as heck won't keep someone from breaking in, it just might encourage the BG to break into the neighbor's house instead because it doesn't have an alarm sticker on the window. This sign would definitely get more BG's to reconsider than an alarm sticker.
    All that said, this sign rocks! :rockwoot:

As far as alarms go, I had a Brinks install about a year ago and the installer was bragging about their response time and how they will call the police for us, etc. My wife walked through the kitchen while he was saying this and said to the guy - "my husband doesn't care about that...he really just wants to know a target's in the house." The guy literally sat there with his mouth gaped open for about a minute. It was hilarious.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    The sign might as well read:

"There are guns inside this home. Please wait until I am gone to break in."

Your absolutely right, would make a great shop sign. That is the difference btwn gun signs and dog signs. Nobody says look this guy has lots of big dogs, lets wait till he is gone and go steel some. :laugh:

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Your absolutely right, would make a great shop sign. That is the difference btwn gun signs and dog signs. Nobody says look this guy has lots of big dogs, lets wait till he is gone and go steel some. :laugh:

Yep, that's because dogs are in go mode whether or not you are home. Sometimes even more when you are gone and the dog becomes the alpha at the home site.

Hmmm, I thought guns killed people. Wouldn't that mean that the house was just as protected when I'm NOT at home??? Uh oh...you mean the anti-gun folks weren't telling the truth??? I might need counselling.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom