• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    A CO does not need a warrant if there is probable cause to believe that there is a crime a foot. Please know the laws before you quote one on here! Thanks

Probable cause is what is needed to get a warrant. They have no more right than a police officer without a warrant. So please don't lecture me without knowing the law or the constitution!

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Uhhhhh...baiting for deer....

So if a neighbor says that I put corn in my woods then a CO can come trekking through my private property?

Can I tell an officer that you're doing something illegal in your house and then they have the right to go through your house without you knowing?

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    The CO needed a warrant to legally be on your property. :dunno: If he thought you were baiting, then he should have gotten a search warrant to be on private property to check. He doesn't have a right to be there otherwise unless let on by the property owner.

Where did you come up with this idea???
    You know nothing about games laws
    they don't need a warrant

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    FYI:

Indiana Code 14-22-39

IC 14-22-39-3
    Searches of effects; entry onto property
    Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section, "public or private property" does not include dwellings.
    (b) The director and conservation officers may:
    (1) search a boat, a conveyance, a vehicle, an automobile, a fish box, a fish basket, a game bag, a game coat, or other receptacle in which game may be carried; and
    (2) enter into or upon private or public property for the purposes of subdivision (1) or for the purpose of patrolling or investigating;
    if the director or conservation officer has good reason to believe that the director or conservation officer will secure evidence of a violation of this article or a law for the propagation or protection of fish, frogs, mussels, game, furbearing mammals, or birds.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    They say they dont need a warrant. Just ask one. 2 came into the woods I was hunting this year during archery. They said they saw a truck parked along the road and thought they would check things out. I had saw 3 bucks and countless does before they showed up. I wish they needed a warrant that day. They made more noise than a herd of deer coming through the woods.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Into MY house ?

Without notice (knok-knok) and a warrant he MIGHT be a robber -- just as he MIGHT have suspected you MIGHT have been baiting in your woods -- and he MIGHT be dropped in his tracks at the door of my castle.
    So if a neighbor says that I put corn in my woods then a CO can come trekking through my private property?

Can I tell an officer that you're doing something illegal in your house and then they have the right to go through your house without you knowing?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Can't resist weighing in on this. Where can a hunter find out what a CO can and cannot do ? Questions such as : Corn bait pile in the woods - hunter in the tree stand during deer archery season holding a rifle. Deer season concurrent with coyote season. CO walks up says "infraction for sitting over bait pile." Hunter responds he is coyote hunting. Now what happens ?

My friends and I have talked about this and many other different scenarios - all just speculation. However, I have a problem with abuse of the authority I have personally seen some CO's use. CO's have more authority than any other law enforcement officer in the country (or so I've been told). Unbridled power can sometimes lead to unbridled abuse. Just say'in.

Amboy49

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Can't resist weighing in on this. Where can a hunter find out what a CO can and cannot do ? Questions such as : Corn bait pile in the woods - hunter in the tree stand during deer archery season holding a rifle. Deer season concurrent with coyote season. CO walks up says "infraction for sitting over bait pile." Hunter responds he is coyote hunting. Now what happens ?

My friends and I have talked about this and many other different scenarios - all just speculation. However, I have a problem with abuse of the authority I have personally seen some CO's use. CO's have more authority than any other law enforcement officer in the country (or so I've been told). Unbridled power can sometimes lead to unbridled abuse. Just say'in.

Amboy49

they can charge you with anything, but they would have to prove you were harvesting deer and not coyote.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have some interesting trail camera pictures as well.

I just retrieved my camera for the last time this year and I got a picture of this nice buck..... Then my uncle walks through our property (we own adjacent land and allow each other to hunt/walk on whatever part of the property anytime outside of deer season.)

DSC_0136.JPG

You can obviously tell how smart he is while rabbit hunting :rolleyes:

DSC_0143.JPG

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Please tell me your uncle isn't hunting in the field with a firearm and a bottle of liquor, and he just carries tea in that Jim Beam bottle...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Please tell me your uncle isn't hunting in the field with a firearm and a bottle of liquor, and he just carries tea in that Jim Beam bottle...

It is actully one of my uncles hunting buddies (I hope, i will be asking him about it) and he makes homemade wine, so i'm sure that it is wine in a bottle that made it easier to carry, but still..... :ugh:

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    i like how a lot of people here sound so confident in what they say and they have no clue what they are talking about.
    it just cracks me up

Top Bottom