Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    1942 Turkish Mauser
    7x57

Bolt face looks good
    Bolt closes easily, but not too easily.
    Rounds chamber as advertised from the magazine and eject without any sticking issues.
    20240507_191242.jpg 20240507_191310.jpg
    No case bulging, cracking, or splitting.
    I'm worried this is a sign of too much headspace, but I defer to others who are more knowledgeable than I.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I do, and these were, but not mine.
    Came with the Mauser.
    7MM or 8MM Mauser?
    You can cheat in a few ways to get brass to fire form in that chamber. Like place a few layers of tape in 1/4" square on the shoulder and when fired it will form except where the tape is. Then resize just to bump the shoulder a few thou and form or shoot them again and those cases with be good as to not push the primers back out.
    Read up on forming and then, fire forming brass and see what you come up with to keep the brass to the rear of the chamber so the shoulders blow out.

Once you get the brass the right length just set your sizing die up to just bump the shoulder back enough to make chambering easy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    7MM or 8MM Mauser?
    You can cheat in a few ways to get brass to fire form in that chamber. Like place a few layers of tape in 1/4" square on the shoulder and when fired it will form except where the tape is. Then resize just to bump the shoulder a few thou and form or shoot them again and those cases with be good as to not push the primers back out.
    Read up on forming and then, fire forming brass and see what you come up with to keep the brass to the rear of the chamber so the shoulders blow out.

Once you get the brass the right length just set your sizing die up to just bump the shoulder back enough to make chambering easy.
    So you wouldn't consider this an unsafe condition?
    7x57

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Me, not for me. I would fireform 50 cases to that chamber and shoot it.
    Did the rounds you shot, feel like good rounds?

And remember thats me, you do what you feel comfortable with.
    I'm not familiar with the round, so nothing to compare with, but I thought they felt underpowered if anything.
    I was expecting much more perceived recoil than what I experienced.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not familiar with the round, so nothing to compare with, but I thought they felt underpowered if anything.
    7x57 has some decent recoil. I'd compare it to my .270. Not bad but noticable. Not sure how to explain it any better.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    If you look at the bottom of the neck of this brass, you will see a donut that goes around the bottom of the neck. This will hold the brass in the back of the chamber when fireforming the brass to that chamber. I tend to fire form with normal loads to get a crisp shoulder.
    20240507_210412.jpg
    Load up a few of your own and shoot them and see what they do.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So you wouldn't consider this an unsafe condition?
    7x57
    I have a Turkish Mauser within a year or two of that and it's definitely 8mm. Is it marked?

By the late 1930s I thought they were pretty much all standardized on 8x57.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You know both the 7mm and 8mm are 57mm long.
    Yeah, which kinda makes me wonder if 7x57 in an 8x57 would chamber just loose enough to produce this result. Particularly with lower charge reloads.

Be like shooting an oblong musket ball downrange, though. Wonder if the case mouth would fire form to the 8mm case mouth diameter and be checkable with calipers.

It is the Turks, though, so who knows if some rifles went through the interwar refurb and remained 7mm.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah, which kinda makes me wonder if 7x57 in an 8x57 would chamber just loose enough to produce this result. Particularly with lower charge reloads.

Be like shooting an oblong musket ball downrange, though. Wonder if the case mouth would fire form to the 8mm case mouth diameter and be checkable with calipers.

It is the Turks, though, so who knows if some rifles went through the interwar refurb and remained 7mm.
    It looks like Big Red was wise to pass on the joke.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

It would just blow the neck out one more millimeter.
    I believe it just has a long chamber.

Heres a better pic of a formed case and the same case after fire forming and its been reloaded. Without that neck donut on the left case to hold it to the rear of the chamber it can float and do some of the same as that primer backing out, even with the rimmed case.

20240508_125442.jpg

Top Bottom