Interesting-lightweight bullet proof foam.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Looks to me like you still need a plate. It ain't all foam:
    To challenge the foam material with bullets, the team built a shield. The strike face - the side facing the weapon - was made with the new composite metal foam together with boron carbide ceramics. The backplates – the side that would face the user - were made of Kevlar....The foam worked so well that an armor-piercing round could only penetrate less than an inch on the weapon-facing side of the shield.On the side facing the warfighter’s body, the bullet was only able to cause an 8 mm indentation on the back .
    Maybe the plate was just a backstop, but sounds kind of like it is part of the armor.I still think this is a cool innovation, but I don't think it is like wrapping oneself in bubble wrap.Especially since the foam sounds like it is very rigid:
    To make it, the team takes molten metal and bubbles gas through it. This process creates a sort of froth. When the froth cools, it becomes a lightweight, ultra strong matrix material.
    I think the heat and radiation shielding are pretty cool applications too.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    An Iranian woman invents something that may be used to save the lives of US troops and first responders. How ironic!

Top Bottom