• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We had long suspected enemy activity in the bottoms in the Southwest portion of the county. Although we'd never seen the enemy face to face during previous operations, we always knew he was there, lurking, and watching us with his beady little eyes, smiling with a sinister toothy grin.

Earlier this afternoon an enemy scout made his way into our sector. Jason was the first to make a positive ID. The enemey was closing in from our 9 o'clock, and apparently meant business, as he completely ignored the gunfire that was going on all around him.

As he entered my peripheral vision, I had to think quickly. Could this be just a scout, or could he be on a suicide mission, determined to draw first blood from us. I had heard stories of their savage behavior, and decided to take no chances. I had my 9mm side arm in my hand, having just sent 5 or 6 rounds down rage, but decided I needed something with a bit more power to be sure to stop him in his tracks.

I picked up my AR-15, and quickly chambered a 5.56 M193 round from the 30rd magazine. The range was about 15 yds, and he was moving from left to right at a slow pace. I think he was attempting to flank us. I put the sights on his head and pulled the trigger as he crossed our 12 o'clock. The round found its mark, stopping the insurgent possum in his tracks. He was still alive, and his toothy mouth was wide open in a defiant scowl. I squeezed off 5 more rounds into his head and torso, to make sure he was dead.

After the smoke cleared, the possum was still twitching, so I grabbed my sidearm and moved in closer. Three more shots to the upper chest and there was no more movement.

This was obviously a very experienced soldier (or just one of the most stupid), as it was quite possibley the largest possum I've ever seen. He was approximately 3' long from snout to tail, and probably weighed every bit of 20 lbs. His tail was about as thick as heavy garden hose, and his "boy parts" were about the size of 1/2 dollars.

Part of winning any war is using propaganda to your advantage. Included in this After Action Report are pictures of the enemy combatent after he was eliminated. Let this be clear message to future enemy possums that we are in firm control of the territory in Southwestern Jackson County. Future enemy attacks will be met with an equvalent amount of lethal force, and may result in even larger caliber weapons being deployed.

possum1.jpg

possum2.jpg

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Lets just say that in accordance with Indiana law, the opossum was humanely euthanized to prevent it from doing any property damage or spreading any disease. ;)

Works for me, they are disgusting little creatures that should be in season all year long in my opinion.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Don't forget your holdover when using an AR at close range. Shot placement on jurassic rats is essential regardless of the caliber!

I also did not know there was a hunting season for them. WHY? They're not game animals and considering them furbearers is a stretch.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, that is good point about the hold-over. I was holding pretty much dead on (with a 25yd zero), so I was probably a shade low at the range I was shooting at.

Coincidentally, the animal literally walked right behind the handgun targets we were shooting, which are in the normal place we shoot at on this property. So, it was about a best case scenario for me, since it was at a very well known location and range.

I did check for shot entry and exit points.

At least one shot went through the ears, entering from the right side of the head and literally removing the left ear on exit. After looking at that I remembered that an opossum really has no brain, so that shot probably just hurt really bad and pissed him off.

One shot went through the lower jaw an exited the top of the skull (probably one of the follow ups when he was on his back)

The rest seemed to be in the shoulder area. The two big exit wounds in the photo are from the 9mm, as the 5.56 probably had little time to yaw or fragment in the body of the opossum.

Re: a formal season, I believe there may be some restrictions based on live trapping, but I don't think there is a formal hunting season (at least from what I could find).

Here's the DNR link, which describes the opossum as a "Nuissance Animal."

DNR: Virginia Opossum

rev500ss

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Royal Center
    Yeah, that is good point about the hold-over. I was holding pretty much dead on (with a 25yd zero), so I was probably a shade low at the range I was shooting at.

Coincidentally, the animal literally walked right behind the handgun targets we were shooting, which are in the normal place we shoot at on this property. So, it was about a best case scenario for me, since it was at a very well known location and range.

I did check for shot entry and exit points.

At least one shot went through the ears, entering from the right side of the head and literally removing the left ear on exit. After looking at that I remembered that an opossum really has no brain, so that shot probably just hurt really bad and pissed him off.

One shot went through the lower jaw an exited the top of the skull (probably one of the follow ups when he was on his back)

The rest seemed to be in the shoulder area. The two big exit wounds in the photo are from the 9mm, as the 5.56 probably had little time to yaw or fragment in the body of the opossum.

Re: a formal season, I believe there may be some restrictions based on live trapping, but I don't think there is a formal hunting season (at least from what I could find).

Here's the DNR link, which describes the opossum as a "Nuissance Animal."

DNR: Virginia Opossum

page 5 shows the dates.Hunting seasons 2009 - 2010

Opossums around our neck of the woods are looked upon as merely varmints. They kill or attempt to kill our livestock, therefore they are regulated "humanely" to protect our animals.

This thinking may not work with the DNR officer if you have no livestock to protect.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I saw one these nasty boogers on the way to my parents house in Greene county yesterday. Had it not been for a ditch I would've taken it out with the Tahoe.

Top Bottom