• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    So you would NEVER take anything to help your family survive? I can't make that statement because I can't say that is 100% true if I were to see my son starving or hurt. However, I can say that I would never intend on hurting someone to take things or would I take everything someone had and leave them with nothing. Personally, I hope the dilemma never comes on how to handle the situation.

So it's time based, not morally wrong all together, I see.....

You're going to do the same thing as the thug, just a few weeks later, nice to know where you stand too.

rylosplanet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I'm with you man. If we take that mentality, he's going to be the one that we'll need to defend ourselves from. He would be worse than just a looter. A looter just steals, a thug like him steals with the treat of death. A true survivor is the man who prepares properly to provide for his friends, familiy, & community, but can also be a man of war if needs be. If a survival situation is thrust upon us, we need to be willing to do the worst, but to maintain our honor and values at the same time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    :noway:

I hear all this "good will prevail" crap, and I dont buy it. First, the criminal elements are already organized beyond what we can imagine, considering they are relatively successful.

You think you may face just one? two? or even 3? Forget it, you may actually face 30+ initially. Think they wont have guns, too?

Survivalist, while many here, we're spread very thin, and lack any real organization, IMO.

Alot of people on here, are safe just by sheere luck that they arent located in the city. Which your best bet would be to grow your own food, and learn to cann it.

Look at the places where SHTF around the world, law and order DO NOT prevail.

This is why I support Community BOLs

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

I hear all this "good will prevail" crap, and I dont buy it. First, the criminal elements are already organized beyond what we can imagine, considering they are relatively successful.

You think you may face just one? two? or even 3? Forget it, you may actually face 30+ initially. Think they wont have guns, too?

Survivalist, while many here, we're spread very thin, and lack any real organization, IMO.

Alot of people on here, are safe just by sheere luck that they arent located in the city. Which your best bet would be to grow your own food, and learn to cann it.

i agree

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

If the above two statements which are highlighted are true, than if I was criminal element, I'd come after the folks in the county who are growing the food. Yes, first I'd hit the city folks and take the few can goods and boxes of dry goods. But these people are only good for one time.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I think it's hard to know, even for yourself, what you will do 'in extremis'; but as for me, I'm a team player whenever I get the chance.

The best way is to try and prepare for everything you can but there are not guarantees anywhere in SHTF except that somebody will eventually want what you have. Katrina is the best example of a disaster that many of us have ever seen and people showed their true ruthlessness and lack of sense when it came to looting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    If the above two statements which are highlighted are true, than if I was criminal element, I'd come after the folks in the county who are growing the food. Yes, first I'd hit the city folks and take the few can goods and boxes of dry goods. But these people are only good for one time.

Devils advocate.

I would not bother with the city folks, too many risks for low positive results.

City folks dont know how to grow food, typically.

I'd target country folks, simply because they live it alot tougher, everyday, and know how to grow food, then keep them alive under some inferior status, but with agreements to spare loved ones.

They're prowess to fight might end, if children are involved, then again, it might strengthen to fight to the death <--------- Which has occured more so than surrender - historically.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    The best way is to try and prepare for everything you can but there are not guarantees anywhere in SHTF except that somebody will eventually want what you have. Katrina is the best example of a disaster that many of us have ever seen and people showed their true ruthlessness and lack of sense when it came to looting.

THANK YOU!

However, we can also examine how the lawful also turned to monsters to prevent the more evil of humans from coming in.

runandgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    They're prowess to fight might end, if children are involved, then again, it might strengthen to fight to the death <--------- Which has occured more so than surrender - historically.

To my mind, especially if you have children this is my only option. I take that back, escape might be an option. But never surrender to MBZs. What would happen next would be worse than dying fighting.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    If a survival situation is thrust upon us, we need to be willing to do the worst, but to maintain our honor and values at the same time.
    No you are wrong. We must be willing and able to put our honor and values to rest for a time and do what must be done. There is no honor in taking a life whatever the reason. We must also be willing and able to bury what we have done very DEEP in our subconscious and move on without mention of it except in our prayers and be able to live with ourselves knowing it had to be done. ME OR HIM? I choose ME. There are countless tales of soldiers doing what they had to do with no honor and putting their values aside in the name of survival and getting home to loved ones. They move on.

YUP, this.

Additionally, begin to prep yourself mentally now for what unthinkable thing you may have to do later, or prepare your loved ones to dig a hole. All the "honor" and "values" in the world won't help your family if you forgot to buy a shovel.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No you are wrong. We must be willing and able to put our honor and values to rest for a time and do what must be done. There is no honor in taking a life whatever the reason. snip.

No honor in taking a life no matter the reason? I would be bummed, if I didn't disagree so strenuously.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

And, as I've posted elsewhere, if you look across the state line at Mississippi, you can see examples of where people pulled together for safety, security, and community. Not saying your point isn't valid; some people will loot any chance they get, but, in the main, the sort of folk who are willing to be neighbors will be _good neighbors_, and they are the sorts of people who will survive when SHTF. My guess is that people whose mindset is "me and mine; the rest can go _____" may survive, but they won't thrive.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    The more I read this post, the less I want to open up to the members of INGO. If you can't trust other INGO'ers in times of SHTF, who can you trust? As Jack Ryan says, thanks for the free lessons on who you are.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The more I read this post, the less I want to open up to the members of INGO. If you can't trust other INGO'ers in times of SHTF, who can you trust? As Jack Ryan says, thanks for the free lessons on who you are.

Heh, heh, heh. :yesway:

Of course Jack will kill you too.
    "Convince" them to move on? Who says I'll "let" them move on if I get the drop on them first? Why? Just to let them slink back soon as it's dark? I don't think so.

This is poor ground around here. Takes a lot of fertilizer if you want a decent crop.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    At least he'll give me an honest burial! I'm too fat to be part of an honest 8 man team trying to get back to their BOL... I've not found 7 other men to trust... heck, I can barely trust the one I see in the mirror. :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

It's not luck.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    No honor in taking a life no matter the reason? I would be bummed, if I didn't disagree so strenuously.
    Please Joe, elaborate for me. Just what honor can be found in taking the life of another? If you claim that honorable intent makes the act honorable I must disagree as the honor was in your intent, not in the act of taking a life.

Top Bottom