• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Why is it everyone is so offended by the Nazi Swastika, but not the communist hammer and sickel?...I mean, communism has killed far more people than the Nazi's ever dreamed of.:twocents:

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    On the Nazi memorabilia, you can assure him that for most people it is simply part of WW2 collecting. Having had two Uncles that fought the Nazis and one of the Uncles that was a POW of the Nazis, I have absolutely no fondness for that ideology. (I am also able to say for the Holocaust deniers that they are full of crap. But that is off topic.) There just isn't as much Japanese stuff partly due to the climate where we were fighting. If you fight on salty islands, humid jungles, long running rainy seasons the equipment just wasn't in as good condition.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Techres,

You have lived up to my expectations of you from the few times I have met you. You have a writing grace and excellence in intellect. You think of the situation as chess, not checkers. Anyone can scream and yell things they want to convince someone of, you have a much better and open mind than I would say I have.

I agree with a few things he has on his "report": The ObamaFingers and similar are attempts at making money on people's rage, nothing else, or else why would they even do that? I can seriously imagine someone on unemployment buying something like that or a t-shirt or similar, when they should be saving that money for an uncertain future.

All in all: Techres, you have my most epic support in this and if needed, I am an RO, I can help with any safety stuff or help out with this in general. We want to provide the idea of what most of us actually are: gun owners that are responsible, but maybe a little concerned about the rights given to us by the constitution, and also that we aren't all "hilljacks", we aren't all undereducated, we are all educated, patient and generally good people, as many of the guy's friends and family may be. I want to put my full support behind this action and look forward to any future opportunities to help people learn about shooting, not "teach them that they are stupid" approach that I see all too often nowadays.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Gaming threadjack moved to own thread:

Gamer Thread!

Gamers please take your dice and character sheets to the above thread, punch and pie will be available...

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Techres I commend you on reaching out to this guy with the invite that you have extended. That is great a great gesture. And I think it will be a real good way to help introduce him to some real gun owner culture. Cause yes there are some weirdos at the gun shows. They bug some of the rest of us too. But most of us are not like that and just like to be able to enjoy our 2nd amendment rights and protect ourselves and families. I really hope he learns something and enjoys himself. Maybe even turn him into a gun owner as well :rockwoot::ingo::patriot:

+1

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Mr. Considine has my respect for being open-minded and agreeing to meet with Techres for some range time. I agree with him that there are certainly a lot of disturbing items and characters at gunshows but that doesn't speak for the entire population of gun owners and enthusiasts. You will also find a lot of outlandish characters on this website but again, it doesn't speak for the entire group. I just hope he and Techres will both gain something from their meeting and that a fair portrayal of gun owners will be shown in the follow-up article. What firearms are you taking to the range, Techres? Maybe I could donate a box of ammo toward the cause?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Techres...one great question to ask him would be...

If he was so shocked that his bag was not searched, at a place where guns are in fact allowed, then is he really appalled at places such as the Simon Malls and other establishments where firearms are completely prohibited that also do not search and where they don't even ask?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Has anyone else seen the update yet?

Here you go:

Austin Considine - American Crossroads - True/Slant

A gun owner’s very thoughtful critique and invitation

I seem to have opened a real can of worms with Wednesday’s post about my trip to the gun show. Some readers have really liked it. I’m glad, because I legitimately had fun at the gun show, met some great people, and had fun writing the piece.
    Admittedly, I also enjoyed making fun of many of the people there. Which is probably why one reader questioned my reporting abilities, and another, on Reddit.com, called me an ******* and compared me to a ring wraith from Lord of the Rings.
    Fair enough. I never claimed my account was anything other than purely subjective. Being that I can, indeed, be an *******, that’s bound to come through once and a while.
    But a reader and gun-owner who goes by “techres” really astounded me with his grace, tact and thoughtfulness. His points were fair and humbling, without once being insulting. Despite our disagreements — some of which, I’m sure, may forever persist — he attempted to build a bridge. Which, honestly, is more than I did in my piece, even though I still stand by it.
    Because I can, I’m reprinting it here, in full. For the record, I fully intend to take him up on his invitation.
    Now, if only we could all talk about health care in such a reasoned manner:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Wow. The commenters were none too kind to techres. Not too surprising that they appear to be guilty of the same things that they accuse us of. Here's a guy who's trying to reach out to the "anti" camp and the anti camp has nothing but bile for him.

I expected far worse. And that is ok. Reverting to my Quaker training - the conversation is the key. So long as both parties are honest and willing to both speak and listen, the end point will be worth while. I have no idea if I can convince him of anything, and that is ok because convincing is not the point. Understanding is the point.

Plus dinner. Oh, and a later trip to the range.

Will keep you updated. We are gonna do the first meeting this week.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    All this discourse is great, but I just can't get over: "... the smooth, easy spin of a revolver carousel — so satisfying and frightening at once...."

You just got to love that revolver carousel.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    All this discourse is great, but I just can't get over: "... the smooth, easy spin of a revolver carousel — so satisfying and frightening at once...."

You just got to love that revolver carousel.

Wait for EBR disease. Revolver carousels are fun, and I am subject to their hold, but even my mother-in-law could not maintain in the face of the EBR and it's catchiness...

:rockwoot:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Excellent news on the update! Hope the meeting goes well and that there is mutual conversation and understanding on both sides.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, something that dissapoints me is how quickly the liberals can be to exclude and degrade conservatives in the same breath that they preach a message of equality and acceptance for all.

Kudos to you for starting to build the bridge, and demonstrating what makes our country great - That we can speak freely about our beliefs with conviction without fear of persecution.

Top Bottom