• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    I thought I read somewhere, you can often pay the fee well before you get the email.
    it should be in your cores account under the (Manage existing FRNs / FRN financial / Bills and Fees) link

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The only thing showing in my cores at the moment is from when I paid my GMRS fee.

My information (along with everyone I tested alongside) likely hasn't even been batched in yet. The exam was on the 10th. Even if they priority mailed the tests/paperwork that day, the earliest it would have gotten to Delaware is the 13th and the system went down on the 12th. The alert about the system being down only just went away on ULS around 5:00pm Central time today. Maybe some time tomorrow it will be in. Thanks Feds.

Reactions: ACR

ACR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2024
    Goshen
    The only thing showing in my cores at the moment is from when I paid my GMRS fee.

My information (along with everyone I tested alongside) likely hasn't even been batched in yet. The exam was on the 10th. Even if they priority mailed the tests/paperwork that day, the earliest it would have gotten to Delaware is the 13th and the system went down on the 12th. The alert about the system being down only just went away on ULS around 5:00pm Central time today. Maybe some time tomorrow it will be in. Thanks Feds.
    That makes sense. Yeah hopefully you can get that done soon!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have to think about these things logically sometimes or I'll drive myself crazy. The post office does enough to my sanity.

Reactions: ACR

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, this next week I am going to work on setting up an server for small status reports of my area. This will be accessible via JS8Call. I will plan on having it available in an evening or two for people to access. I not sure I want to leave my IC-7300 unattended all day when a software glitch can key down forever.

Also, working on setting up an anonymous message relay system, like the Tech Prepper is using. Messages relayed from JS8, Winlink or APRS (sms or email). FYI APRS smsgte is down and you have to use SMS and opt in at http://aprs.wiki/SMS/ I like his ideas, but he is too narrowly focused on the gear and OS's that are used. I am not going to use Linux for everything.

Who is in for some testing?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    @Sailor

Is there any way, or should I say, do you have a good resource to learn about the nuts and bolts about the technical services you’re working with? I’m pretty up to speed on analog, repeaters and a little bit of digital, but beyond that I can’t find anything that breaks it down Barney-style for us just learning. I’ve seen a lot of videos from folks like Tech Prepper and such, but they don’t explain what it is, at least not that my brain will allow me to process…I feel like my missing the information in the middle.

There’s a lot of newfangled technology and guys experimenting with data transmission, it’s cool to see.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    @Sailor

Is there any way, or should I say, do you have a good resource to learn about the nuts and bolts about the technical services you’re working with? I’m pretty up to speed on analog, repeaters and a little bit of digital, but beyond that I can’t find anything that breaks it down Barney-style for us just learning. I’ve seen a lot of videos from folks like Tech Prepper and such, but they don’t explain what it is, at least not that my brain will allow me to process…I feel like my missing the information in the middle.

There’s a lot of newfangled technology and guys experimenting with data transmission, it’s cool to see.

Are familiar with JS8Call, Winlink or APRS? Do you have any HF gear or VHF/UHF only?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Are familiar with JS8Call, Winlink or APRS? Do you have any HF gear or VHF/UHF only?
    I’ve used Motorola digital trunked systems at work for 20 years, know my way around VHF/UHF with MURS/FRS/GMRS and can hand program a Baofeng to hit a repeater. Beyond that, those words you said might as well be Pashto.

I’m familiar enough to know that they involve data transmission over the air. I’m slowly working on my ticket but I haven’t really dove into it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I’ve used Motorola digital trunked systems at work for 20 years, know my way around VHF/UHF with MURS/FRS/GMRS and can hand program a Baofeng to hit a repeater. Beyond that, those words you said might as well be Pashto.

I’m familiar enough to know that they involve data transmission over the air. I’m slowly working on my ticket but I haven’t really dove into it.
    Probably the easiest path to start with would be using a Mobilinkd 4 with one of your existing HT's. You will need your ticket. With vhf packet (if supported in your area) you will be able to SMS or email via APRS, or Winlink. Watch videos on this, as a starting point.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Local ham radio club is hosting a brief talk/presentation on basic antenna designs that you can build yourself that actually work. Think copper tube , aluminum angle and rod, twin lead type j poles. If there is enough interest we will schedule a future build party.
    Open to the public at Cafe of Hope in Huntington, Monday, 25 March at 6;30 pm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm considering HAM or GMRS.

I've watched dozens of videos, pros and cons of each, etc. I'm a noob. Any advice?
    Why not both?

Go ham. It has more opportunities. You can talk locally, or even around the world with the right gear. Cant do that with GMRS.

And I'm about to voice an unpopular opinion. Dont bother with a GMRS license unless you plan on using repeaters. That license is simply a money grab. Any license requirement with no proof of competency is just selling back to you something you already have.

So if you are just wanting to chat with local friends and family at Six Flags, the county fair, hiking, etc. just buy some GMRS radios and use them. As long as you arent a foul mouthed jerk causing trouble nothing will happen to you. If anyone asks you are on a FRS radio. (no license, sharing many of the same frequencies) If somebody out of the blue asks you over the air, you simply didnt hear them and dont respond. ;)

If you want to hop onto the GMRS repeaters to talk to strangers, you'll need the license.

The pro to a GMRS family license is everyone can use it with no training. Not so for ham. Though a Tech license is very easy to pass. Lots of kids pass it easily.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ham is very easy to step your way into. Get your tech license and a cheap handheld and practice on Nets on the repeaters in your area. No more difficult than learning to use the GMRS repeaters.

Then as you learn more about it, you can advance into more difficult things at your own pace.

I think I started back in 2017. I'm just now really getting into the HF stuff and doing long distance stuff that most people think of when they think of hams.

And with the advent of Youtube, you can learn SO much.

GarandMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Lafayette
    I would encourage anybody to get their amateur tech license for local comms, simplex or repeater. There is no better time than now to get a Ham license as we are in the middle of the 11 year sun cycle and propagation is great. Testing is often free. The Tech license will also get you 10m and the world if you have the radio/antenna. There are inexpensive HT, hand talkies, that will do both ham 2m/70cm and the GMRS/FRS frequencies. GMRS/FRS works well in a small group within a short distance simplex (family at a park, ,etc) but if using repeaters then it is more complicated. And GMRS repeaters are often linked by the internet and busy with operators in distant areas. Since there are only a few channels/freq for GMRS, multiple repeaters use the same freq with different tones and programming code plugs (memory programs). GMRS/FRS simplex similarly is limited in the number of channels so there is the potential to have crowded frequencies. With Ham, you just dial up/down 3khz and keep talking. Of course the drawback of Ham is that everybody should have a license.
    I hope that makes sense as I may have rambled.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Opinion? yes I have an opinion.
    Gmrs is nothing more than rebranded CB . Extremely limited in scope, range , and equipment. Actually cb is a better choice as it requires no license (think off the radar) and the equipment is already tried and tested, available at yard sales and flea markets. Ham radio is a rabbit hole that can be all consuming in terms of time and money.
    Yes I am a ham. Yes I have cb equipment that I no longer use. No I don't have gmrs.
    Suggest you asess your requirements and attend several meetings of ham radio people and see what it is all about. You will find a wealth of information and a willingness to help you and enlighten you. We were all noobs at one time.
    Just my 2 cents worth. Just an opinion.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    CB is a sleeper in the preparedness realm. Easy to get into, no licensing fees, and easy to throw one in a vehicle and build a decent base station. Even good portable units are valve these days. I can see it applying very well to smaller communities, although I don’t know about propagation in developed areas, so would think it could work pretty well for a smaller town to build a preparedness network.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Here's my nickel worth (formerly known as two cents...but inflation ya know)

If you are thinking of getting into amateur radio, shoot for the General license. It means two tests, but the privileges it gets you are huge. The ability to communicate several states, or several countries away is useful and practical.

If just GMRS, I have to agree with Cameramonkey....if you're not going to use the repeaters, then don't pay $35 for a GMRS license. It is nothing more than a money grab. GMRS is UHF only, line of site, and the hand held radios are good for MAYBE 2 miles reliably unless in dense terrain, then it's even less.

If you just want to listen to local traffic, my advice is spend $300-$400 bucks on a portable scanner that can handle digital protocols.

One last thing....if you are going to buy junk, buy cheap junk.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Bob if you're NOT going to get on repeaters on GMRS or plan to ONLY use handhelds in and around suburban to rural environments then I would also suggest looking at MURS.

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm dipping my toes in to inexpensive gmrs, picked up a combo pack of Baofung Gm-15 pros for a whopping $50 and pairing them with a 25w radioddity to start learning. I'm so inexperienced that I'm not sure if what I said means anything. But I'm excited to start learning.

Will probably get the FCC license after tinkering around for a while when ready to start transmitting. Would like to eventually get in to ham.

Top Bottom