www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Damn that is sexy.
    I still need to find the cash to get an 891 and tuner to get back in the game. I actually stumbled across this while window shopping an 891.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Going to try my hand at HF again. Pulled the trigger a few minutes ago on a FT-891 and matching tuner. Before I dig out my cable to reconnect my workbench to the new antenna, I have a question.
    I believe I used to run LMR400 for the first 50' from my desk to the junction box on the back of the house to the tower. Then I had a length of RG5958 up to the antenna. (30'?)

Would I really be losing anything by just going RG59 that first 50'? I really dont enjoy straightening that stuff out. A real PITA. And I've already got a spare 50' hunk of 59 58 ready to go.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are correct sir. 50 ohm 58. I always mix up those numbers. (and I didnt feel like digging into the box of cables to double check myself.

looks like it might be worth it. but at only 50', maybe not. Hmmmm... Might just string the 58 and see how she goes. I can always swap it out later.

LMR-400-vs-LMR-300-VS-RG6-Loss-highlight-768x285.jpg

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    Going to try my hand at HF again. Pulled the trigger a few minutes ago on a FT-891 and matching tuner. Before I dig out my cable to reconnect my workbench to the new antenna, I have a question.
    I believe I used to run LMR400 for the first 50' from my desk to the junction box on the back of the house to the tower. Then I had a length of RG5958 up to the antenna. (30'?)

Would I really be losing anything by just going RG59 that first 50'? I really dont enjoy straightening that stuff out. A real PITA. And I've already got a spare 50' hunk of 59 58 ready to go.
    It depends on the impedance of the hf antenna on the band you will be using. If its 50 ohms you may only loose 2db @ 100ft (mind you, even -3db is loosing half your power heating coax) but based on the tuner I'm guessing the antenna is multi-band and non-resonant. This can easily present an swr of 10:1 on some frequencies, which even though your tuner may match & keep the radio happy, you will loose *a lot* of power in the tuner/coax combination. In a high-mismatch you might only radiate 10 of your 100 watts on the antenna. Depending on the antenna topology, it may fare better on low freqs as some designs even use the feedline radiation as part of the pattern lol. Lots of variables & why I use 14ga ladder line from tuner up the tower. But if I had to use coax, lmr400 would be a minimum. Thats not to say rg58 won't work, after all 100 watts down to 5 watts is -13db or a couple of S-units. So you will still "get out" but not as well as you could. Then there's voltage & current nodes along the coax but I digress... Just my :twocents:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Serious kudos to DX Engineering. They have a SWEET setup with UPS. I placed an order at 8PM on Wednesday.

At 3:45AM Thursday I had a note from UPS that they had my package and would be delivering it today. Not "they printed your label". They actually pick up overnights from them and apparently the shipping department doesnt close at 5P like other vendors.

IF they dont pick up overnight, they sure put a LOT of stock in their ability to deliver. Every other situation if I get a note that the package is "on the way" overnight they specify the label was printed but they dont have it yet. SO I guess its possible they move so much product and do so on time that UPS is willing to skip the disclaimers.

They are under the same ownership as Summit Racing and are in the same building. So its not a low volume shipper.

Holy crap that is fast.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Is anyone doing anything with D-Star? I picked up an older IC-92AD and am running it through a Zumspot. I'm kind of addicted to it at the moment. Lots of activity from all over the world.

REF030 C is always active, and the location of folks calling CQ follows the sun.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Is anyone doing anything with D-Star? I picked up an older IC-92AD and am running it through a Zumspot. I'm kind of addicted to it at the moment. Lots of activity from all over the world.

REF030 C is always active, and the location of folks calling CQ follows the sun.
    Personally, i think Dstar use is waning. Proprietary software always turns off a lot of people. Plus when you interface with stations via the internet, are you really playing radio?. Locally in the cincinnati area, the k8big dstar repeater used to be heavily used. I just checked and only about ten unique stations in last two weeks.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Personally, i think Dstar use is waning. Proprietary software always turns off a lot of people. Plus when you interface with stations via the internet, are you really playing radio?. Locally in the cincinnati area, the k8big dstar repeater used to be heavily used. I just checked and only about ten unique stations in last two weeks.
    I don't think it's waning as much as it's migrating to access via hotspots. There are a lot of advantages to a hotspot that you don't get with a repeater, such as being able to monitor any reflector you want for any length of time you want. D-Star (and maybe other digital systems) repeaters are being made irrelevant by hotspots I think.

As for whether or not it's real radio, that same argument applies equally to any linked repeater, not just digital. What I've come to understand in my short time as a ham, is that there are two prominent focuses in the hobby. The first is about the science of the radio. Pure radio communications making contacts from distant places using only electromagnetic energy. The second is about the art of communication. Being able to speak to people all over the world as if you were sitting next to them at a restaurant. That is where the 2M and 70CM bands come alive.

I don't think that it matters how the communication is managed for this second area of the hobby since it's focused on making contacts and having conversations with people across the globe. D-Star, and other digital systems, along with linked repeaters enable that communication. In the end, being a ham is all about communication and this area of the hobby is focused on that.

My D-Star setup consists of a ZumSpot 3.5 and an ICOM IC-92AD. Together, these set me back about $520. The 92AD is about 10 years old, but came with the GPS mic, an upgraded antenna and 3 batteries. I have a 5100 in my truck as well, but 95% of my time is spent with the 92AD. This setup is available to anyone with a technician license and for less than $550, allows a great level of access to contacts across the globe. I'm certain that the same thing could be done cheaper and would be doable with any other digital mode in the ham world.

For me, first it was the local linked repeaters that drew me in, and now the digital modes providing access to the world that has me hooked.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I don't think it's waning as much as it's migrating to access via hotspots. There are a lot of advantages to a hotspot that you don't get with a repeater, such as being able to monitor any reflector you want for any length of time you want. D-Star (and maybe other digital systems) repeaters are being made irrelevant by hotspots I think.

As for whether or not it's real radio, that same argument applies equally to any linked repeater, not just digital. What I've come to understand in my short time as a ham, is that there are two prominent focuses in the hobby. The first is about the science of the radio. Pure radio communications making contacts from distant places using only electromagnetic energy. The second is about the art of communication. Being able to speak to people all over the world as if you were sitting next to them at a restaurant. That is where the 2M and 70CM bands come alive.

I don't think that it matters how the communication is managed for this second area of the hobby since it's focused on making contacts and having conversations with people across the globe. D-Star, and other digital systems, along with linked repeaters enable that communication. In the end, being a ham is all about communication and this area of the hobby is focused on that.

My D-Star setup consists of a ZumSpot 3.5 and an ICOM IC-92AD. Together, these set me back about $520. The 92AD is about 10 years old, but came with the GPS mic, an upgraded antenna and 3 batteries. I have a 5100 in my truck as well, but 95% of my time is spent with the 92AD. This setup is available to anyone with a technician license and for less than $550, allows a great level of access to contacts across the globe. I'm certain that the same thing could be done cheaper and would be doable with any other digital mode in the ham world.

For me, first it was the local linked repeaters that drew me in, and now the digital modes providing access to the world that has me hooked.
    If thats the type of ham radio you enjoy then go for it. Personally I have no desire to use the internet to connect with people and think I'm playing radio. My cell phone will call around the world also. I dont know your license class but consider upgrading and enter the world of HF. You can really talk around the world without relying on internet connectivity. But all in all, its a great hobby.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I give up on Amazon for ham stuff.

I had some credits and wanted an antenna analyzer. I'm using end fed antennas due to space (and cost) constraints, so I wanted to tune the wires.

The RigExpert Pro looks awesome, but damn expensive. I cant justify that. So I figured since I was just tinkering Id use the $150 chinese unit based on open source software that has decent reviews. It arrived defective. The backlight would power but thats it. Grrrr.

Returned it and spent a little extra for a reputable MFJ. Not as automated as the RE Pro, but all I had to do was turn a dial to manually sweep a band while I watch the SWR numbers. I can do that.

It arrived unsealed, and dead as a doornail. D E D Dead. Tried both 10 AAs and power brick. Nothing.

Amazon has the RE Pro but not prime. But not risking that again. I'll use my credits elsewhere and so I just splurged and bought the RE from DX Engineering. I KNOW I will get one in new working order. I'll call the splurge an early birthday present. Its almost like I was supposed to spend the money for the RE Pro and didnt know it.

I wonder how many people are using Amazon for replacing dead gear? (buy, swap, return) Because I have been getting an inordinate amount of DOA stuff from Amazon lately.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If thats the type of ham radio you enjoy then go for it. Personally I have no desire to use the internet to connect with people and think I'm playing radio. My cell phone will call around the world also. I dont know your license class but consider upgrading and enter the world of HF. You can really talk around the world without relying on internet connectivity. But all in all, its a great hobby.
    I've got my general but have not dipped my toe in the HF waters yet. Maybe this fall I'll take the plunge. I've had my eye on an Icom 7300 for a while now.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I give up on Amazon for ham stuff.

I had some credits and wanted an antenna analyzer. I'm using end fed antennas due to space (and cost) constraints, so I wanted to tune the wires.

The RigExpert Pro looks awesome, but damn expensive. I cant justify that. So I figured since I was just tinkering Id use the $150 chinese unit based on open source software that has decent reviews. It arrived defective. The backlight would power but thats it. Grrrr.

Returned it and spent a little extra for a reputable MFJ. Not as automated as the RE Pro, but all I had to do was turn a dial to manually sweep a band while I watch the SWR numbers. I can do that.

It arrived unsealed, and dead as a doornail. D E D Dead. Tried both 10 AAs and power brick. Nothing.

Amazon has the RE Pro but not prime. But not risking that again. I'll use my credits elsewhere and so I just splurged and bought the RE from DX Engineering. I KNOW I will get one in new working order. I'll call the splurge an early birthday present. Its almost like I was supposed to spend the money for the RE Pro and didnt know it.

I wonder how many people are using Amazon for replacing dead gear? (buy, swap, return) Because I have been getting an inordinate amount of DOA stuff from Amazon lately.
    I am leary about buying electronics through Amazon. You never know if you're going to get a legit version or a cheap copy.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    It depends on the impedance of the hf antenna on the band you will be using. If its 50 ohms you may only loose 2db @ 100ft (mind you, even -3db is loosing half your power heating coax) but based on the tuner I'm guessing the antenna is multi-band and non-resonant. This can easily present an swr of 10:1 on some frequencies, which even though your tuner may match & keep the radio happy, you will loose *a lot* of power in the tuner/coax combination. In a high-mismatch you might only radiate 10 of your 100 watts on the antenna. Depending on the antenna topology, it may fare better on low freqs as some designs even use the feedline radiation as part of the pattern lol. Lots of variables & why I use 14ga ladder line from tuner up the tower. But if I had to use coax, lmr400 would be a minimum. Thats not to say rg58 won't work, after all 100 watts down to 5 watts is -13db or a couple of S-units. So you will still "get out" but not as well as you could. Then there's voltage & current nodes along the coax but I digress... Just my :twocents:
    I thought about trying to get my HAM license and was worried about taking the test. I’m an electrician by trade and thought it would be a snap. After reading that I’m pretty sure I’m out of my league. I think I’ll buy some Baofengs and put them in the faraday cage when things go bad and don’t have to worry about the FCC. As a side note, I was a underground utility locator for 13 years and remember talking to a homeowner that had this huge antenna array and I commented that he probably gets the best free t.v from everywhere, that’s when he told me that it was for a ham radio and I've been interested every since.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    I thought about trying to get my HAM license and was worried about taking the test. I’m an electrician by trade and thought it would be a snap. After reading that I’m pretty sure I’m out of my league. I think I’ll buy some Baofengs and put them in the faraday cage when things go bad and don’t have to worry about the FCC. As a side note, I was a underground utility locator for 13 years and remember talking to a homeowner that had this huge antenna array and I commented that he probably gets the best free t.v from everywhere, that’s when he told me that it was for a ham radio and I've been interested every since.
    You should go ahead and give it a try. Technician exam is a snap. I got it without hardly studying. General was a little more involved but still not too bad. I did spend some time playing with the practice exams for my extra but passed it first try too. Don't let some of the folks on here scare you!
    You can do it!!

Top Bottom