Inexpensive spotting scope? Feet are tired.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    AS I get more and more into shooting rifles, it has become apparent that I need to purchase a spotting scope. My feet are tired from walking back and forth from my shooting bench to the target to see my hits. I really do not want to spend much money on one. Can someone suggest a good one that I can buy from WalMart/GM/Dicks/Etc?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Can someone suggest a good one that I can buy from WalMart/GM/Dicks/Etc?

Walmart and Dick's sell junk optics, across the board. If you buy something from them keep your receipt.

By by far the best bang for the buck spotter and the entry point for seeing bullet holes at any kind of range that would make a guy's feet hurt is the Theron Saker ED. But you can't get one at Walmart

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    AS I get more and more into shooting rifles, it has become apparent that I need to purchase a spotting scope. My feet are tired from walking back and forth from my shooting bench to the target to see my hits. I really do not want to spend much money on one. Can someone suggest a good one that I can buy from WalMart/GM/Dicks/Etc?

How much is much money?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What do you consider not much, and what ranges do you want it to work at?

Gauging of the info you have given (not nearly enough) you should be buying a Konus 20x60x80 sportsview. They run about 300 dollars, and if you don't want to spend that much don't buy a spotter buy a gym membership and get in walking shape.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    It's too bad the Vortex Nomad 20-60x60mm was discontinued. I found one on a clearance rack at Cabelas for ~$220. It's the clearest optic I'd seen in that price range.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010

Gauging of the info you have given (not nearly enough) you should be buying a Konus 20x60x80 sportsview. They run about 300 dollars, and if you don't want to spend that much don't buy a spotter buy a gym membership and get in walking shape.

Alan - what are the spotting scope offerings from Vortex like? What's the lowest price point that one would be looking at? Just curious as I have not seen a Vortex spotting scope.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The cheapest Vortex is heads and sholders above the Konus I mentioned, but the Diamondback 20-60x60 is still 399 dollars.

Its not cheap at all, but the Viper HD 20-60x80 IMO is still the absolute best return on investment on the spotting scope market, even though its priced at 899

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    Here is what I have, but it I bought it at Menard's for $45 at Christmas last year.

Simmons Blazer Spotting Scope - Walmart.com
    I have used it several times this year without issue. Note - my range only goes up to 150 yards, so I can't vouch for it past that distance. Its nothing fancy, but was inexpensive and does everything I need it to do. My brother has a similarly price Barska that came with hard carrying case.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    KOWA Scopes

I hate to jump in on the "no cheap scope is cheap"

I've tried the low cost route for spotting scopes and was disapointed, it takes a good scope to see 22 cal bullets at 200,

You will spend the money on the cheap scope then spend the money on the good scope later and you've delayed the utility and pleasure of using good equipment

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Sorry that I was not clear on price and range.

Will never need it to see more than about $150 yards.

I would like to spend $200 or less.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Sorry that I was not clear on price and range.

Will never need it to see more than about $150 yards.

I would like to spend $200 or less.

this

Top Bottom