Indy woman finds GPS monitor during evening walk, raises questions about the system

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Must be common to have these bracelets cut off?

What is the sentence for cutting one off?
    In Marion County? You'd probably be told to come back in and get another one put on. Probably should result in a warrant for arrest and revocation of house arrest, but I doubt that happens much here, knowing how much our prosecutor loves our criminals.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I can't imagine its all that unusual for people to try to be defeating the bracelets. I would imagine that will get your bond or probation revoked pretty quickly and remanded into custody...for a while.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can't imagine its all that unusual for people to try to be defeating the bracelets. I would imagine that will get your bond or probation revoked pretty quickly and remanded into custody...for a while.

Wonder what the percentages are on this?

Surely there is a lot of paperwork and agreements that were signed for what must be a pretty expensive device strapped to your leg?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I saw this earlier.

If I'm out for a walk and I come across an obviously cut-off LOJACK, I'm thinking I would maybe, I dunno... not touch it and call the Police??!!

BUT NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!! This person takes it home and plugs it in!! Let's call the number on it, well let's get transferred to the recording that tells me to mail it back to PO Box... whu??

OK, this ain't working, now call the Police after moving the evidence... oh crap I give up.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I saw this earlier.

If I'm out for a walk and I come across an obviously cut-off LOJACK, I'm thinking I would maybe, I dunno... not touch it and call the Police??!!

BUT NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!! This person takes it home and plugs it in!! Let's call the number on it, well let's get transferred to the recording that tells me to mail it back to PO Box... whu??

OK, this ain't working, now call the Police after moving the evidence... oh crap I give up.

Might just want to do a quick scan of the area, before anything else, eh?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I can speak to this with firsthand knowledge. Before I retired, my unit was the one to go out and arrest folks who violated the terms of their probation or sentencing. Folks who committed such violations were issued warrants on probable cause for the violation. Anyone who cut a bracelet was automatically violated and issued a warrant. Anyone who tampered with the bracelet was violated and warrant issued. Anyone who let their bracelet die was violated and warrant issued. Anyone who exited geofence was violated and warrant issued.

1632973031779.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can speak to this with firsthand knowledge. Before I retired, my unit was the one to go out and arrest folks who violated the terms of their probation or sentencing. Folks who committed such violations were issued warrants on probable cause for the violation. Anyone who cut a bracelet was automatically violated and issued a warrant. Anyone who tampered with the bracelet was violated and warrant issued. Anyone who let their bracelet die was violated and warrant issued. Anyone who exited geofence was violated and warrant issued

Do you recon that is still the case in the current Hogsett/Mears administration, with the scamdemic and all?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Do you recon that is still the case in the current Hogsett/Mears administration, with the scamdemic and all?
    It’s been three years since I retired, but I know the great young lady who runs the electronic monitoring system and the network that processes those through the courts, as well as all my old friends on the unit. I’ve not heard of any massive changes to the procedure to reckon otherwise.

In fact, they’re probably busier because five years ago or so, they were starting to put more low-level offenders on EM to free up jail beds for real bad guys with extended stays. And last year saw an increase as well due to the ‘Rona and concerns of infection inside. The guys said they’ve been busy.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Might just want to do a quick scan of the area, before anything else, eh?

That's pretty much everywhere in Marion County these days. I'd do that over here in the friendly confines of Avon as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

1. It happens. Do not have percentages.

2. Failure to Return to Lawful Detention, Escape, etc. are Level 6s, 6 months to 2.5 years, up to 10K fine.

Criminal mischief and Criminal Conversion, Class A misdemeanors, 0-365 days, up to 5K fine.

House Arrest is now criticized for being over used because of the new "smart bond plan" directives (ICR 26) from the Supreme Court. People that normally would be on bond are now tagged like migrating harp seals because of ICR 26 (think of a kid with a new toy). In my view, this should all be left up to the counties.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Yes.

Charges or sentence? The charge will be Escape. The sentence will probably be nothing. It'll be rolled into the plea and credited. They might do more time in custody waiting for a court resolution then they otherwise would.

I'm rather cynical about it, and of course we never got calls that someone HADN'T cut their bracelet off, but it's not exactly shocking when it occurs.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yes.

Charges or sentence? The charge will be Escape. The sentence will probably be nothing. It'll be rolled into the plea and credited. They might do more time in custody waiting for a court resolution then they otherwise would.

I'm rather cynical about it, and of course we never got calls that someone HADN'T cut their bracelet off, but it's not exactly shocking when it occurs.

This is what I was afraid of.

Thanks again for giving us the real world likely outcome on this.

:ingo:

Top Bottom