• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    But it "creates jobs" for the people who make the cameras and the people who sell the cameras and the people who repair the cameras. Ain't govt. 'sposed to be creating more jobs? Or maybe it's really all about making money. (read "taking some more of your money") The American citizen has been reduced to an ATM machine for the politicians.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I thought you had to face your accuser in court?

You don't have to, but you have the option to.

Based solely on the article, it appears a real person reviews footage before a ticket is issued:

mages of speeding vehicles would be sent by the camera company to local police for review and to issue civil fines

It's now passed committee:

House committee OKs speed cameras for work zones : Politics

Perhaps Rep. Soliday is a member here and wanted to make sure the proposal was debated for what it actually is and not what some people want to present it as:

"There are all kinds of issues with stoplight cameras. I would be more than willing to (insert a line) that said, 'There shall be no stoplight cameras,' " Soliday said.

I tried to read the actual bill, but haven't found a working link to it yet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm not a fan but if it is going to be implemented, I would also like to see a limit put on the allowable size of a work zone. Taking 47 miles of I65 down to one lane so that three guys with shovels can work in a 5 square foot area is ridiculous but seems to be the standard.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I'm not a fan but if it is going to be implemented, I would also like to see a limit put on the allowable size of a work zone. Taking 47 miles of I65 down to one lane so that three guys with shovels can work in a 5 square foot area is ridiculous but seems to be the standard.
    So true. Then again, with only one lane no one can get passed, so Mr Soliday wouldn't get his feelings hurt there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Here you go. It was linked in the article of the first post of this thread.
    Indiana General Assembly, 2015 Session

Thanks. I tried to get it last night and it kept loading weird.

Like Phylo, I'm not a real fan of it and think having real cops, or at least real cop cars, does more to slow people down in the work site. However I also understand there are stretches where there is no place to put the car.

If this were to be implemented, I'd like to see the following additions:

1) Camera equipped work zones must be clearly marked as such prior to entry and prior to the last opportunity to bypass it, sort of like a DUI checkpoint.
    2) The camera itself must be obvious. Blue light on top?

I think that would make it more of a deterrent to speeding in the work zone.

I'm perfectly ok with the camera on a school bus. Pass a school bus with its arm out and you had all the warning you needed.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Is there a quick way to see how our reps voted on this? IMO, this is the camels nose in the tent. (See: Chicago)

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thanks. I tried to get it last night and it kept loading weird.

Like Phylo, I'm not a real fan of it and think having real cops, or at least real cop cars, does more to slow people down in the work site. However I also understand there are stretches where there is no place to put the car.

If this were to be implemented, I'd like to see the following additions:

1) Camera equipped work zones must be clearly marked as such prior to entry and prior to the last opportunity to bypass it, sort of like a DUI checkpoint.
    2) The camera itself must be obvious. Blue light on top?

I think that would make it more of a deterrent to speeding in the work zone.

I'm perfectly ok with the camera on a school bus. Pass a school bus with its arm out and you had all the warning you needed.

^^^^^^^^This +infinity

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Somebody wrote this guy a check in hope of cashing in, it's how government works. He'll pocket the money regardless if it gets any traction.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wtf is going on with the republican party now? They get power and become liberals

Nah...when it comes to "safety", rarely will people stand against it...no matter how intrusive or incumbering or unnecessary it may be. How many republicans, I wonder, voted for the no texting and driving bill? Without looking, I'm betting a lot did.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    How about requiring that the license plate and a clear, unobstructed view of the actual driver must be captured photographicly from the same perspective, if not by the same camera, and an affirmative identification made from the driver's image before any citation may even be bucked up the chain for a LEO to review for possible citation, and that any image that does not result in such LEO review, and all that LEOs decline to issue citations for, must be immediately deleted unrecoverably?

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The other night on Top Gear they were showing people in London driving with a mask on so they could not be ID'd by the photo. So much for getting a clear shot of the driver. Traffic cameras are just part of the Big Money Making Machine. In Germany on the Autobahn the cops don't write speeding tickets but they have to have something to do so they set up on the overpasses with cameras and measuring equipment and if they see anybody tailgating they call up to the next overpass and give them the description and when that car hits the 2nd overpass they take a HD picture of the face of the driver and the rear plate. Then they mail you the ticket and fine. They are cracking down really hard on tailgaters. Cause you really can't have people tailgating while they traveling over 100 MPH. Makes me wonder if they have as many idiots on their cell phones as we have here. At 150 MPH.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Top Bottom