• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Dnr loves to make everything more expensive for the hunter. Then say the hunter numbers are down

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've tried lead free ballistic tip on coyotes. The results were interesting, but not impressive. Every coyote required a follow up shot. It seems like the round would go through the skin and explode without much penetration.

20211116_010101.jpg
    This coyote was about 75 yards away, facing me when I shot him in the chest.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I've tried lead free ballistic tip on coyotes. The results were interesting, but not impressive. Every coyote required a follow up shot. It seems like the round would go through the skin and explode without much penetration.

View attachment 298925
    This coyote was about 75 yards away, facing me when I shot him in the chest.
    Is use lead free for my 300blk for hunting. But ya know they want the lead free to also be any shot youd use in doves, turkey, etc..

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Dnr loves to make everything more expensive for the hunter. Then say the hunter numbers are down
    This was instigated by a "petition" from someone whom I have little doubt has an ulterior agenda. The DNR humored it with a study and a webpage. From the linked Document:

"Conclusion The petitioner requested that lead shot be unavailable for purchase in Indiana so that it would not be available for use by hunters. The Indiana DNR cannot prohibit the sale of lead shot in Indiana because it is outside the authority of the DNR, and individuals may use that ammunition for target practice, as well as in other states. Secondly, prohibiting the sale of lead shot would likely impact retailers that sell lead shot to hunters by reducing their sales when non-lead options are not readily available or are more costly. As we continue to manage fish, wildlife, and their habitat, the Indiana DNR believes it is important to acknowledge the effect of lead on the environment statewide. To achieve this, the DNR has developed a new website with information about the effects of lead and will share educational materials with the public to discuss the environmental benefits of using non-lead equipment when hunting and fishing. These materials will allow individuals to see how their actions can impact the environment, whether through picking up lead litter or using non-lead ammunition and tackle. Through these educational efforts, DNR will help ensure that outdoor recreation will sustain for generations to come."

It seems to me that the DNR did a relatively decent job of cutting this BS off at the knees. I'd have preferred that they not waste time or effort on this nonsense but it may well be the case where a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    This was instigated by a "petition" from someone whom I have little doubt has an ulterior agenda. The DNR humored it with a study and a webpage. From the linked Document:

"Conclusion The petitioner requested that lead shot be unavailable for purchase in Indiana so that it would not be available for use by hunters. The Indiana DNR cannot prohibit the sale of lead shot in Indiana because it is outside the authority of the DNR, and individuals may use that ammunition for target practice, as well as in other states. Secondly, prohibiting the sale of lead shot would likely impact retailers that sell lead shot to hunters by reducing their sales when non-lead options are not readily available or are more costly. As we continue to manage fish, wildlife, and their habitat, the Indiana DNR believes it is important to acknowledge the effect of lead on the environment statewide. To achieve this, the DNR has developed a new website with information about the effects of lead and will share educational materials with the public to discuss the environmental benefits of using non-lead equipment when hunting and fishing. These materials will allow individuals to see how their actions can impact the environment, whether through picking up lead litter or using non-lead ammunition and tackle. Through these educational efforts, DNR will help ensure that outdoor recreation will sustain for generations to come."

It seems to me that the DNR did a relatively decent job of cutting this BS off at the knees. I'd have preferred that they not waste time or effort on this nonsense but it may well be the case where a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
    Thanks for that. Where was that on website?

Zexrain

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2023
    FORT WAYNE.
    www.in.gov/nrc/meetings-and-minutes/current-meeting-agenda/

And so, it begins. Note agenda item #7 regarding a ban on lead in hunting. Welcome to California!!!
    By the way I see you. This is Chasingtails from the other fourms.

That would really stink if they made that rule up. Says citizens petition so I'm guessing they are trying to please someone by atleast throwing the idea out there and not taking it seriously.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    This has a long way to go before it makes it to legislation. I foresee it being alot of talk first. I can also see it being used on managed land first before it becomes the thing. We also need to acknowledge that SJC are spreading and many social media hunting personalities have been preaching about it. So, suffice to say that when people hear them they think all of us. Do I think this will pass? No, I don't. Do I think that we need to do a better job of getting the regular guy's voice out there. Most definitely.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I think you're spot on. Considering the type who would make this sort of a petition, ignoring them never goes well. They just squeal louder and more childishly.

Top Bottom