• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    As some of you know I use to have a lifetime LTCH. I moved to Louisville last year and obviously had to give up my LTCH when I became a KY resident.

I'm now going to be working across the river in Indiana full time but still living in Tha Ville.

What's the process for getting a non-resident "permit"? I have already gone through the whole fingerprinting and background checking nonsense for my Lifetime LTCH - will the ISP let me "convert" my licence to a non-resident?

I tried calling the helpline but it says basically "don't call us we are busy". At this rate it might be quicker to get my KY CCDW (6 months +).

David.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    This may not exactly answer your question but I may be going to CA (but retaining my house in IN) and when I call the ISP (just hang on the line & you'll eventually get to speak to someone) they said just to change my residency address to match the CA drivers licens. Doing that would make my in LTCH valid whenever I was back in the state. I'm not sure how different the situation is as I'm retaining my home in IN and I do plan on returning as it's not a "permanent" change.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    As a non-resident who has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, you could get a 4-year LTCH but not the lifetime version.

Only ISP could tell you if there is some administrative provision for converting your inactive lifetime LTCH rather than applying again.

If you get the KY license (or any other), it will be recognized by Indiana for non-resident handgun carry here.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Thanks ATM. Are they open today? Is it worth calling or emailling? I know they are receiving a bunch of calls from people asking about their LTCH status having listened to the super long message :P

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Did not know it took 6+ months. Maybe it is dependant on county. I know someone in Bell County that said they recently received theirs in about 5 1/2 weeks.
    The good thing is if you get you KY CCDW you do not have to worry about making copies and laminating it.

As ATM & tgmorris mentioned contact ISP Firearms division and talk to them. Maybe they can give you advice on how to transfer your lifetime to a 4 year what is needed.

One thing to remember if you did not inform ISP that you moved out of state when you did move just tell them you mailed it in. About a month after you moved. As they may get a little bent that you did not notify them. Depends on who you talk to and the mood.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out for you.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    Whenever you were back in the state as a visitor or permanently...? Hmmmmm....
    In my case my wife would still be here living in the house so my domicile, as opposed to my residence, is still Indiana. I'm sure that makes some sort of difference as the individual at the ISP was sure that it would be valid when I was back in the state.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Did not know it took 6+ months. Maybe it is dependant on county. I know someone in Bell County that said they recently received theirs in about 5 1/2 weeks.
    The good thing is if you get you KY CCDW you do not have to worry about making copies and laminating it.

As ATM & tgmorris mentioned contact ISP Firearms division and talk to them. Maybe they can give you advice on how to transfer your lifetime to a 4 year what is needed.

One thing to remember if you did not inform ISP that you moved out of state when you did move just tell them you mailed it in. About a month after you moved. As they may get a little bent that you did not notify them. Depends on who you talk to and the mood.

Good luck to you and I hope it works out for you.

I did mail it in but heard nothing back....

6 months is based on taking the required 8hr course and waiting on all the red tape :(

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    You'd be better off to get a Kentucky permit. 6 months isn't bad at all, my indiana ltch permit took over 8. I know it sucks but unless you own a regular place of business, there's no way to get one.

Top Bottom