• ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Hey Earl, watch this!

Sounds like a nasty hang-fire, not a shooting. Wonder if he has a permit for the cannon.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Exactly the reason that when i'm out shooting my muzzleloader, I wait a bit between shots before dumping powder down a hot barrel. Might just be me but otherwise i'm a little nervous trying to go to fast.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Exactly the reason that when i'm out shooting my muzzleloader, I wait a bit between shots before dumping powder down a hot barrel. Might just be me but otherwise i'm a little nervous trying to go to fast.

Yep. I used to do Civil War reenactments back in the day with my father, and we were attached to an artillery unit. Beautiful Napoleons :rockwoot: We had strict procedures for post-fire and pre-loading. Looks to me that they weren't followed. I witnessed an accident with a cannon once, and it was not pretty. :n00b:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I have it on good intel that the person IS a member of Ingo.

funny-pictures-doh-cat.jpg

Typing wth one hand is ha rd.............

:):

Speedy recovery wishes sent. :yesway:
    :)

willie69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    this can happen to anyone one time i laid a muzzleloader down to get a ball puller and the thing went off i don't own that gun anymore

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    It absolutely can happen.
    One time some jerk sold me this crappy muzzle loader that ended up going off on it's own!!

Kidding! I'm KIDDING!!

Hope whoever this story is about, gets better fast...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    It absolutely can happen.
    One time some jerk sold me this crappy muzzle loader that ended up going off on it's own!!

Kidding! I'm KIDDING!!

Hope whoever this story is about, gets better fast...
    Actually, I have a first-hand story of a muzzleloader "going off on it's own". Granted, there is one little detail that probably started the problem, but most people would never even think that it could happen how it did.

My uncle returned from hunting one day. He has a 209 primer conversion on an older, bolt-action Knight muzzleloader. Rather than take the primer out to 'safe' it, he used to just open the bolt, hold the trigger and slowly lower the bolt. This lowers the firing pin onto the primer slowly, so the only thing on there is light pressure from the spring. Shouldn't be a problem right? After-all, it's the impact of the pin hitting the primer that dents the cup and sets off the chain reaction.

Anyways, he did that same thing this time then went about his business. About 3 hours later (yes, I said 3 entire hours, 180 minutes) he was in his garage working when a loud kaboom nearly made him soil himself. The muzzleloader went off, the round glanced off the back of a chair, glanced off the wall, hit his vice, and landed at his feet. Further examination of the primer showed just a very, very faint mark in the surface of the cup. How that faint little mark led to the ignition of said primer I'm not sure, but it happened. Needless to say, he doesn't do that anymore.

Best wishes to the person this happened to. Sounds like a "freak" accident. I know this can happen with BP muzzle-loading firearms, but it's is a very rare occurence, at least very rare that somebody gets injured by one, especially a cannon.

Top Bottom