• ...and so much more!
  • Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Outing April 17-19th at Gatesville in Brown County

Our next outing will be in Gatesville.

Gatesville is a great place to fire up the power equipment for the first run of the season. Break out the drysuits and wetsuit heaters that water is still going to be very cool for those diving.
    If you have never seen the power equipment its easy to observe from the bank...
    as long as the water is clear you can see the diver very well. The fine gold in Gatesville means power equipment is King here.
    You couldn't ask for a better atmosphere than the Gatesville Country store.
    Affordable camping and the creek right outside means you can stay a few days and really get some serious prospecting done... but bring your own gas, and alcohol
    as the store has neither... What the store lacks it makes up for by having running water! {A rare thing at most prospecting locations}.
    I look forward to a good crowd and the sound of motors running...:woot:

Central Indiana GPAA President,
    Wayne A. Mercer

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    I just received 3 shipments of prospecting supplies. We have Proline, LeTrap, Garrett, GPAA, and Pyramid Pro Gold pans. Several of the brands come in the 14 inch variety {$12-$15}. The price range is from $5.50 for a ten inch black pan to $139 for a Pyramid Pro Gold pan. We also have the 14" classifiers currently in stock... along with the Proline snuffer bottles {the best} and glass or plastic vials.
    I will have everything at the Gatesville outing next weekend April 17-19th.:woot:

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Maybe it is in this post but too lazy to look. Are there web sites that concern prospecting/panning for gold in Indiana? I spoke with a gentleman at the last Indy 1500 and he was a gold prospector. He showed me some really nice pieces of gold he has found in Indiana. He told me there was a group in Indiana and they had a web site. I can not for the life of me remember what the site was or where this group was located. I would be very interested in going out and searching for some gold. Any help on this would be appreciated.

zimzum

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Chesterfield
    Maybe it is in this post but too lazy to look. Are there web sites that concern prospecting/panning for gold in Indiana? I spoke with a gentleman at the last Indy 1500 and he was a gold prospector. He showed me some really nice pieces of gold he has found in Indiana. He told me there was a group in Indiana and they had a web site. I can not for the life of me remember what the site was or where this group was located. I would be very interested in going out and searching for some gold. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Central_Indiana_GPAA : Gold Prospectors Association of America

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Thanks. And thanks to smokingman for the info. Should be able to find what I need. I have never done any gold prospecting but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    "On Our Own Island"

The Walnut Grove Campgrounds in Indiana will be the location of The Central Indiana GPAA outing "On Our Own Island". It will be held May 15th-17th. We have all the sites on the Islands river side reserved {15 camp sites}... with 6 more on the island and another 50 campsites across the bridge on the shore side. Very large RV's may not be able to cross the small bridge to the island but there is plenty of room for them just on the other side. The island was left from the river changing course and sample panning yielded color on both sides
    smiley20.gif
    . This area has never been dredged! An old Gristmill Dam can be seen just south of the campgrounds...it had the middle blown out several years ago... but imagine the flood gold that was trapped for nearly 160 years
    smiley10.gif
    ! Its worth a look on google earth here is the information:

The location is 7444 West, 400 North Boggstown, Indiana 46110. Google earth has trouble with county roads here are the GPS coordinates of the "Island" Latitude 39 degrees 35'19.85"N, Longitude 85 degrees 55'17.74"W. The campgrounds across from the island are enormous with a total of more than 70 sites. Gray water facilities are included free for overnight campers. There is a playground for children and a couple of shelter houses. I have uploaded several pictures to the photos area of Central_Indiana_GPAA : Gold Prospectors Association of America . Note the large sandbars north and south of the Island.

Cheryl Shortt is the owner/operator and can be reached at 317-835-4466 for details or questions about the campgrounds. Camping is $20 for electric $18 for primitive... if want to come for the day there is a $2 park fee per person {children under 6 are free}.

Dredges with an intake nozzle of 5 inches or less are welcome. We have landowner permission for over a mile of the river
    smiley31.gif
    . There are some great looking sandbars for highbanking and some deeper water for those with hooka air. Also the "mainland" side of the island has a serries of smaller pools perfect for running a smaller dredge with a suction nozzle.

Prospecting supplies and GPAA items will be for sale at the meeting 5p.m. May 16th in the shelter house on the island. For those who need pans or other prospecting supplies before the meeting Vice President Todd Balting or President Wayne A. Mercer {myself} can help Friday through Sunday... just follow the sound of the dredge motors.

Central Indiana GPAA President,
    Wayne A. Mercer

I forgot to mention our raffle will include a 1/4 ounce gold double eagle, 1/10th ounce gold double eagle, a 5 ounce silver bar, several one ounce silver "U.S.A. Prospector" coins, several "rounds" of Indiana Gold Pickers, Silver one ounce bars... and MORE!!! Its the most valuable raffle any club {Official GPAA chapters or other
    smiley2.gif
    } the state of Indiana has ever seen! With prizes worth over $500!!! $2 buys you one chance $5 buys you three chances. We only hold one drawing with tickets being drawn until all prizes have been awarded... the first number drawn gets pick of the prizes and so on until all prizes are given away!
    smiley20.gif

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hopefully you can get more folks interested in this!

I passed along the Morgan-Monroe St. Forest panning expedition to my uncle. He went and had a blast! Now he's hooked. And has even gotten his wife and one of their daughters involved.

Now...how to get him to ID is own iron concretions and other stuff... "No, Mike, I'm sorry. That's calcite. And this one's a piece of glass. They're not diamonds..."

-J-

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    This sounds like an absolute HUGE amount of fun! Maybe,just maybe...i can go and have fun WHILE i conserve a little of the precious ammo for one weekend :)

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    I regret to inform everyone this weekends outing has been canceled... the water is simply to high and dangerous.
    flood2.jpg

flood.jpg

with the water already flowing over the bridge and more rain on the way its simply not possible to go to Walnut Grove campgrounds.
    However some of us are meeting at the Morgan Monroe park office 9 am Saturday and possibly Sunday as well.

RachelMarie

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    I've been semi-intrested in this in the past. I think I'm going to try this this summer! Thanks for the info!

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    Way Cool! I have been interested in this for some time now and was wondering if any Gold could be found in them thar flat lands of Indiana. (I know not all of Indiana is flat.) I'll have to check this out considering Columbus got some massive flooding last year and I used to live next to the river that closed the hospital. Thanx for the post!

Jed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2008
    Just West of Columbus off of HWY 46 there is a small town called Gatesville... Our next Central Indiana GPAA Outing will be held there from June 19th-21st. You can find this little "town" very easy... travel west on 46 from Columbus until you leave the Tipton lakes area... after that its open HWY... when you see a Gas Station {the only one between Columbus and Nashville on HWY 46} turn north on the road next to it and go about 8-10 miles... its a very curvy road following the valley floor... there are no stop signs {or much of anything for that matter} until you reach "The Gatesville Country Store".
    Our meeting will be in the shelter house at 5pm June 20th... we will have the most valuable gold raffle any group of prospectors has ever had at that time!!! It will include at least {1} 1/4 Gold Double Eagle, {1} 1/10 ounce gold Double Eagle, a 10 OUNCE silver bar, a 5 ounce silver bar, {2} one ounce silver "U.S.A. Prospector" coins, several "rounds" of Indiana Gold Pickers, a Silver one ounce bar... and MORE!!!

crazzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Nblsvle
    the guy on the vid says he spent a coulpe hrs and got 'about a gram'. my math says that even @ today's prices that's about $38. for a 'few hrs work' not countin gas and all that equip. looks like i a hobby [where u spend $$ b/c it makes u happy] NOT like a profit venture. aint gg to buy much ammo at that pace. peace, crazzy

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom