Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    'Indiana Forward' Launches Hate Crimes Bill Push

...INDIANAPOLIS -
    A broad coalition of community and business leaders has launched a campaign pushing for hate crimes legislation, and one of its leaders says there has "never been more support" for the idea. United Way of Central Indiana Chief Executive Officer Ann Murtlow is a lead organizer of the Indiana Forward campaign, which includes nearly 700 supporters from the business, nonprofit, education and faith communities. She says joining 46 states with a hate crimes law is a crucial human and economic issue.

The group officially kicked off its campaign today with a rally at the Indiana Statehouse. In addition to Murtlow, speakers included Indy Chamber CEO Michael Huber, State Rep. Tony Cook (R-32), Fishers Mayor Scott Fadness and Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry, among others...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Yep. This is all but inevitable. It's got a ton of support from the Chamber of Commerce and corporate GOP types who fear corporations and businesses either won't come, or will leave the state if we don't have a hate crime law.

I know the Zionsville Town Council just passed a resolution calling on state lawmakers to pass one. I doubt they will be the last/only town or city to do so.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Oddly, those corporate establishment muckity mucks said the same thing about RFRA. Sure hasn't seemed to slow much down, now has it?

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is some of the dumbest **** I've ever seen. I thought no class of citizen was more important than another, until you see a "hate crime" law.
    Prosecute a crime for the crime that it is. No need for a fancy label then

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Hate is a huge waste of time and energy, but under no circumstance should if ever be a crime. Motive has always been a factor in the severity of a charge and potential sentencing. Hate might be a motive, but can you substitute any other motive for hate and call it a crime? If hate can be a crime , then so can greed, jealously, ambition, envy, love, lust, etc.

Guess I better get my affairs in order.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    If you're stylish and you know it and you really want to show it, demand hate crime laws.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    There is a lot of support for this moving forward. Sen. Bohacek is authoring a hate crimes bill in the Senate as well.

Since Senate District 29 also elected a brand new progressive senator, I think we will see a massive push toward this direction.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    slnJKaX.jpg

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    There is not much differences between the parties and what little there is, is disappearing daily.

NO ONE stands up for the citizen.

I hate the democratic party and increasingly disliking the GOP. Is that a crime?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Someone drafted a bill that does not mention any groups, but defers to a judge's ability to sentence more harshly if "bias" is present. People didn't like that--they need to see their group listed, otherwise it's a lousy bill.

Some bills have 40 groups--who is left out?? :dunno:

Knight Rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Michiana
    Someone drafted a bill that does not mention any groups, but defers to a judge's ability to sentence more harshly if "bias" is present. People didn't like that--they need to see their group listed, otherwise it's a lousy bill.

Some bills have 40 groups--who is left out?? :dunno:
    Heterosexual WASPs. All others are covered. Makes for a much shorter reading of the bill.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Heterosexual WASPs. All others are covered. Makes for a much shorter reading of the bill.

Add Christian, gun owner, NRA member, owns pick-up truck (red pickup with 4 wheel drive), retired military, known associate of Churchmouse. The hate coming my way is ok I guess.

Top Bottom