Indiana - easiest state to get ticket in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Try and look at it this way......90% of the tickets are written by 10% of the officers. I know, I know that REALLY messes the numbers up doesn't it?? Well, what happens is you get the "traffic nazi's" (yes I went there and I am a cop), out there that writing tickets is what they do, either they are traffic officers or patrol officers that can't pass up the chance to write a ticket. When you get this mentality, then they have a tendency to write 2-3 tickets per stop so that is why the numbers are so high. Combine that mentality with the fact that they don't have to "write" it anymore becuase it's done with a scanner and it makes it eaiser to tag someone with multiples on a single stop.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS MENTALITY OR THIS PRACTICE.....but this is how it is. My department is right around 100 officers and I could probably name off 7-10 officers that do the majority of ticket writing in our department, Hmmmmm.......10%. Me on the other hand I give around 95% warnings and 5% tickets. Before anyone jumps on me for "not doing my job", I work under the thought process that me stopping you in most cases is enough to correct the action for which I stopped you. If I get an aurgument when walk up or serious attitude, then maybe you need something more than just being stopped. I will say though that I don't just automatically go to the ticket. I will normally tell people that I am planning to give them a warning, but if they still want to aurgue then I can change that to a ticket and we can aurgue in front of a judge.

I don't know if this helps to understand this a little bit better, but I hope it does........now let the flaming begin.

If that doesn't deserve rep, I don't know what does. :yesway:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Naw, it doesn't make it any easier to GET a ticket. It makes it easier to GIVE one!
    The people getting all these tickets, are still learning how to drive, not to mention how to "play nice with others".
    When I first got my license, I saw a bumper sticker than sunk in,
    "Drive like hell, You'll get there"

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unmarked cars can do traffic stops, however the officer must be in uniform.

Marked cars, the officer does not have to be in uniform to do traffic stops.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Unmarked cars can do traffic stops, however the officer must be in uniform.

Marked cars, the officer does not have to be in uniform to do traffic stops.

I thought only on-duty officers can write you citations unless it was a state cop? Any cop can pull you over, but must call in backup to write you up.

Or has this changed too?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Try and look at it this way......90% of the tickets are written by 10% of the officers. I know, I know that REALLY messes the numbers up doesn't it?? Well, what happens is you get the "traffic nazi's" (yes I went there and I am a cop), out there that writing tickets is what they do, either they are traffic officers or patrol officers that can't pass up the chance to write a ticket. When you get this mentality, then they have a tendency to write 2-3 tickets per stop so that is why the numbers are so high. Combine that mentality with the fact that they don't have to "write" it anymore becuase it's done with a scanner and it makes it eaiser to tag someone with multiples on a single stop.

I DO NOT AGREE WITH THIS MENTALITY OR THIS PRACTICE.....but this is how it is. My department is right around 100 officers and I could probably name off 7-10 officers that do the majority of ticket writing in our department, Hmmmmm.......10%. Me on the other hand I give around 95% warnings and 5% tickets. Before anyone jumps on me for "not doing my job", I work under the thought process that me stopping you in most cases is enough to correct the action for which I stopped you. If I get an aurgument when walk up or serious attitude, then maybe you need something more than just being stopped. I will say though that I don't just automatically go to the ticket. I will normally tell people that I am planning to give them a warning, but if they still want to aurgue then I can change that to a ticket and we can aurgue in front of a judge.

I don't know if this helps to understand this a little bit better, but I hope it does........now let the flaming begin.

I agree with Prometheus....:yesway: +1+ a bunch

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I thought only on-duty officers can write you citations unless it was a state cop? Any cop can pull you over, but must call in backup to write you up.

Or has this changed too?

There is no requirement to be on-duty in order to issue a citation or make an arrest. The law states in order to enforce the traffic law, an officer must either be in a clearly marked car or wearing a uniform that clearly identifies them as a LEO.

SECTION 1. IC 9-30-2-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 1999]: Sec. 2. (a) A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle.
    (b) This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    (c) A person who:
    (1) is a law enforcement officer;
    (2) is not at the time of an arrest for a violation of an Indiana

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm in automation and I don't like it being applied to giving out countless tickets.

I calculate 525,600 minutes in a year, so if they give 1 million tickets, that amounts to almost 2 tickets per minute. fyi

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Okay. What is the average time to 'give' a ticket?

How many officers does it take to average out to two per minute across the whole state?

And who here has a friend that is likely to be getting ONE of those TWO per minute? :)

darrent

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Muncie, Indiana
    Okay. What is the average time to 'give' a ticket?

How many officers does it take to average out to two per minute across the whole state?

And who here has a friend that is likely to be getting ONE of those TWO per minute? :)

Let's see...
    1,000,000 dollars (oh wait not Austin Powers - I mean tickets)
    / 365 days
    = 2740 per day
    / 24 hours
    = 114 per hour

Excluding multiple citations and assuming that there is a 15 minute time window between citations
    / 4
    = 28.5 number of officers needed (one was a K-9 unit).

However, these super troopers cannot work 365/24/7, but it gives you the "cop-power" needed to generate 1,000,000 tickets in a year.

Top Bottom