• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The way to get a vanity plate now is interesting. You get on the BMV site and go through the usual stuff to renew the plate. When you get to the option, you select the plate, standard (8 character limit) or specialty plate like college, In God We Trust, Special Group etc (6 character limit).

It shows the plate and you start typing in what you want. It will tell you wether or not it's available and show you exactly what it will look like.

As to being approved, I don't think a human touches it. I'd think all prohibited phrases, words etc are programed into the system. If you type on out on the website, it just says it's not available.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    The tragedy of BMW drivers is they get all the negative attention for their crappy driving while Cadillac and Mercedes drivers get to fly under the radar with their equally crappy driving.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Friend of my brother had BYATCH in the 90s. Got pulled over once and a female officer asked him what it meant.

"Boys youth at cathedral high" :rofl:

Eventually someone complained to BMV that their teenager was offended by it and they revoked the plate.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It will be allowed until someone complains about it.
    Yup. Had WNTRSUX on our convertible for several years. One day I noticed a couple of fat chick's behind us at the light pointing and taking pictures all flabbergasted looking. Told the wife we'd be getting a letter from bmv, sure enough it took about two weeks. They didn't pull the plate but told us it wouldn't be renewed.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've driven a few, they are exquisitely engineered vehicles.

They do, however, attract a certain type of person.
    Exquisitely engineered for all components to start failing at 125k miles. Had a 540M Sport that I loved for the first 50k miles but when it hit 125k EVERYTHING started going south on it.

I still lust after another one but never again.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I remember a photo of an Illinois plate in Chicago that said “Zyklon B”. It was revoked after several complaints, but the owner said it was stolen and did not turn it in.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The way to get a vanity plate now is interesting. You get on the BMV site and go through the usual stuff to renew the plate. When you get to the option, you select the plate, standard (8 character limit) or specialty plate like college, In God We Trust, Special Group etc (6 character limit).

It shows the plate and you start typing in what you want. It will tell you wether or not it's available and show you exactly what it will look like.

As to being approved, I don't think a human touches it. I'd think all prohibited phrases, words etc are programed into the system. If you type on out on the website, it just says it's not available.
    My wife used to be one of the approvers when she was director of registrations for the BMV. It's amazing what some people want on their plates. One that slipped by her and the other approvers that they didn't recognize was CUMGZLR. There isn't a month that goes by without someone trying to get something like IEATASS.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've driven a few, they are exquisitely engineered vehicles.

They do, however, attract a certain type of person.
    We've owned a bunch over the years and are down to just one right now, which is also the first BMW we ever bought. 98% of BMW drivers are no different than any other driver out there, but there are some that somehow think that by buying a BMW, they've somehow 'arrived' and should be given special road privileges. I imagine those numbers are shared by other manufacturers too but a prick in a BMW sticks in the mind more so than a prick in a Honda

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I wanted a vanity plate. I own an FJ crusier from Toyota. In the FJ community the rumor was (this is not true) that FJ stood for F**k Jeep. No hate for jeeps here at least the old ones.

So of course I wanted UCK EEP for the plate. I am just to cheap to pay the extra.

I did get the free covered bridge plate so it kinda looks different and a little outdoor related

Top Bottom