• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why this isn't a more popular opinion I'll never understand...

Why do we encourage the .gov to care in the first place?

Because a majority of humans are control freaks. They don't all want to control the same things but they want to control others none the less.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good. At last Indiana finds itself on the right side of history. Maybe now the republicans in the legislature will stop their amendment crap and get a move on to vastly more important topics, (as another poster said). Equal Rights before the law is a foundational principle of this country and today Indiana is taking it's first step in the right direction. Congrats to all the Hoosiers that are marrying today and in the days, weeks and months to come!

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I thought I was done with this topic. Again. But - you know me - engineer - can't leave it alone - the only reason there's a legal definition of marriage, the only reason government is involved in marriage in any real way, the only reason people want to be "legally" married (because you can go get married to any one or any thing you want) - legally that is - ...government sponsorship of a type of marriage. There are different tax rules for married couples. I've been married for 27 years and we've raised one son. So nice and benevolent of the government to return more of my money because I'm married. Get out of THAT business too. While you're at it, cut taxes for everyone, not just the married...or just the (fill in the blank).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I thought I was done with this topic. Again. But - you know me - engineer - can't leave it alone - the only reason there's a legal definition of marriage, the only reason government is involved in marriage in any real way, the only reason people want to be "legally" married (because you can go get married to any one or any thing you want) - legally that is - ...government sponsorship of a type of marriage. There are different tax rules for married couples. I've been married for 27 years and we've raised one son. So nice and benevolent of the government to return more of my money because I'm married. Get out of THAT business too. While you're at it, cut taxes for everyone, not just the married...or just the (fill in the blank).

The reason the government is and has been in the marriage business is social engineering. Walk into to any mainline denomination church in this country and poll the attendees.

A. Keep marriage between 1 man and 1 woman.
    B. Allow gays to attain the same marriage licenses a straights.
    C. End all government interactions with marriage be it licenses or tax incentives.

Take a wild guess as to what percentage each choice would get.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Good. At last Indiana finds itself on the right side of history.

All 15 years of it...I guess that is sort of a little bit of history...Let's just forget all the previous years of history and only count as "the right side", that history which meshes with our narrow view of what is "right."

History is neither "Right" nor Wrong"...It just is....

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The reason the government is and has been in the marriage business is social engineering. Walk into to any mainline denomination church in this country and poll the attendees.

A. Keep marriage between 1 man and 1 woman.
    B. Allow gays to attain the same marriage licenses a straights.
    C. End all government interactions with marriage be it licenses or tax incentives.

Take a wild guess as to what percentage each choice would get.

C. %60
    A. %30
    B. %20

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    All 15 years of it...I guess that is sort of a little bit of history...Let's just forget all the previous years of history and only count as "the right side", that history which meshes with our narrow view of what is "right."

History is neither "Right" nor Wrong"...It just is....

What's "right" and what authority the Government has as outlined in foundational documents are different things.

My own personal morality, I wholly believe that certain things are wrong... Doesn't mean they should be also illegal.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Because people like their tax breaks.
    Marriage is more than tax breaks, (at least to most rational people). There are actual tax penalties for marriage, unless you have rugrats in the house. It's about many, many things. Love being the foremost. There are hospital visitations and legal Rights that spouses have that non-spouses do not (and don't even start on the "you can file paperwork or get contracts for that stuff". That's nonsensical and they can be overturned, as we have seen in a multitude of cases, by one pissed off family member). The spousal Rights accorded married people for the small cost of a license and a ceremony (secular or not) are accorded more weight than legally binding contracts by many entities and even getting those contracts to the "same point" as spousal Rights can cost thousands. Inheritance laws also play a factor. As do parental Rights for same sex families. There is an inequality in the current legal system and the judges across the country are in the process of fixing it. The current laws on the books against marriage equality are, on their face, unConstitutional and we're likely going to see them overturned in the near future as this issue continues to work its way up the chain. SCOTUS will have to rule on it soon enough and I have little doubt they'll rule as their lower court comrades have ruled.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't know why they would. It's a losing battle.

To appeal to their constituency for votes.

This is exactly why the appeal will go through. The republicans cannot see that it's a losing battle. They'll go down with their ship, rather than save the taxpayers millions on fighting it. They want the hardcore evangelical vote. It's their base and they're lost without them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Marriage is more than tax breaks, (at least to most rational people). There are actual tax penalties for marriage, unless you have rugrats in the house. It's about many, many things. Love being the foremost. There are hospital visitations and legal Rights that spouses have that non-spouses do not (and don't even start on the "you can file paperwork or get contracts for that stuff". That's nonsensical and they can be overturned, as we have seen in a multitude of cases, by one pissed off family member). The spousal Rights accorded married people for the small cost of a license and a ceremony (secular or not) are accorded more weight than legally binding contracts by many entities and even getting those contracts to the "same point" as spousal Rights can cost thousands. Inheritance laws also play a factor. As do parental Rights for same sex families. There is an inequality in the current legal system and the judges across the country are in the process of fixing it. The current laws on the books against marriage equality are, on their face, unConstitutional and we're likely going to see them overturned in the near future as this issue continues to work its way up the chain. SCOTUS will have to rule on it soon enough and I have little doubt they'll rule as their lower court comrades have ruled.
    Most people don't think of any of that. The only thing they see in the .gov being in marriage is their lower tax rates.

I know all about the penalty for marriage. Our children are all out of the house and we both make decent salaries. I have myself taxed as single with no allowances and still don't get enough taken out to cover my taxes when we calculate them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom