Incandescent light bulb ban goes into effect August 1st…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yeah, I missed the automotive application part, I was talking about AC home lighting.

Though I'm not sure why automotive applications would be relevant, since the ban applies only to common household lighting, not vehicles.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That is ironic, isn't it. To make the energy saving LED usable, a load resistor that wastes electricity in the form of heat, has to be used, negating any energy benefit.

...and you get to pay more.

The irony is people didn't bother to see the original legislation and realize automotive bulbs aren't covered by this legislation so the whole conversation is irrelevant to the thread. I think people tend to go to LED bulbs in automotive applications for looks, longevity, and/or brightness, not because they are concerned with the energy consumption of a turn signal bulb.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The irony is people didn't bother to see the original legislation and realize automotive bulbs aren't covered by this legislation so the whole conversation is irrelevant to the thread. I think people tend to go to LED bulbs in automotive applications for looks, longevity, and/or brightness, not because they are concerned with the energy consumption of a turn signal bulb.
    On a related note, the move to auto LEDs has a REALLY nasty side effect for some cars. You can replace ALL the incandescent bulbs in an older car every year and it still cheaper than when one molded LED fixture fails to the tune of $300. if $30 years ago you told us "when your tail light burns out, you'll have to replace the entire assembly" we would have laughed at you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On a related note, the move to auto LEDs has a REALLY nasty side effect for some cars. You can replace ALL the incandescent bulbs in an older car every year and it still cheaper than when one molded LED fixture fails to the tune of $300. if $30 years ago you told us "when your tail light burns out, you'll have to replace the entire assembly" we would have laughed at you.

I've got HIDs in my Camaro and LEDs in my Power Wagon. I understand they are pricey when they go out, but some things are worth it. My issued car has halogens and the difference is, if you'll pardon me, night and day. Especially the PW, which has bending beams that move with the steering wheel so the 'sweet spot' is always in the middle of where you are pointing, plus cornering lights that come on at lower speeds. Like Lasik, I'll pay the price to see better.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've got HIDs in my Camaro and LEDs in my Power Wagon. I understand they are pricey when they go out, but some things are worth it. My issued car has halogens and the difference is, if you'll pardon me, night and day. Especially the PW, which has bending beams that move with the steering wheel so the 'sweet spot' is always in the middle of where you are pointing, plus cornering lights that come on at lower speeds. Like Lasik, I'll pay the price to see better.
    I was talking about the ones where the LEDs are molded into the plastic assembly like tail lights and marker lights where there is no bulb (even a relatively expensive one) to replace. Instead of a $2-$50 bulb, its the WHOLE damn fixture.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was talking about the ones where the LEDs are molded into the plastic assembly like tail lights and marker lights where there is no bulb (even a relatively expensive one) to replace. Instead of a $2-$50 bulb, its the WHOLE damn fixture.

I'm aware. I can replace the bulb, but the halo is built in. I don't think there is a bulb at all in the tail light, just LEDs.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That is that is what all the ads keep saying, they last forever. That has not been my experience. I have been in this house 11 years. Every CFL bulb has been replaced several times, Every LED bulb has been replaced several times.

The oversized globe 100 watt incandescent above my kitchen table Just got replaced the first time. It is usually dimmed to about 75%

When I moved here I had a case of USA made 60 watt GE bulbs, They lasted for years. The 3rd world GE incandescent bulbs are clearly not the same quality, and some only last for weeks.

I'll defend anyone's rights to make their own choice, but that choice should never be done by Congress or the resident chump of the white house.
    CFLs sucked. They did not have the lifespans they claimed. When I had them, I had to replace them about as often as incandescents.

I have not had a LED bulb fail, and I have had them for years.

Top Bottom