• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Hi guys, I just wanted some advice on this. I purchased a full length colt 45 ACP last year and have been shooting it without any problem until sometime this year when I sustained an injury to my rotator cuff on both my shoulders. The resulting injury has left me unable to shoot any of my 45 cal ACP pistols due to the recoil which causes severe pain on my shoulder. I am however able to shoot a 9mm without any trouble.
    I was thinking of purchasing a new ported barrel or have the service done to my gun or whatever suggestion any of you wise folks can give me.
    It's just a shame that my shoulder cant sustain the shock of the recoil, because I do love my 45 ACP pistols.
    Any advice will be much appreciated:dunno:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't know if it would make enough of a difference for you, but might try PM'ing Andrew at Profile (INGO site supporter) and tell him a need a real soft shooting load in .45.... I know he is a fan of Hodgdon's Clay's and he'd know what to do. That is the load my wife shoots and it is really soft and also it's very clean burning.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hi guys, I just wanted some advice on this. I purchased a full length colt 45 ACP last year and have been shooting it without any problem until sometime this year when I sustained an injury to my rotator cuff on both my shoulders. The resulting injury has left me unable to shoot any of my 45 cal ACP pistols due to the recoil which causes severe pain on my shoulder. I am however able to shoot a 9mm without any trouble.
    I was thinking of purchasing a new ported barrel or have the service done to my gun or whatever suggestion any of you wise folks can give me.
    It's just a shame that my shoulder cant sustain the shock of the recoil, because I do love my 45 ACP pistols.

I shoot an STI 2011 for Steel Challenge, and I've got to say that the 9mm has spoiled me. I notice now that if I shoot .40 too much, that my hands and wrists tend to get inflamed more easily. Not a big deal if you're just shooting a box or two of ammo, but if you have a 300 round practice session, it can get a little annoying. There are some very nice 9mm 1911's out there, and they're cheap to shoot too! Take a look, and see what you like.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    22cal Conversion slide & barrel w/ magazine? Or just a cheaper 22 cal 1911A? or just a 22 Browning Buckmark, or... Ruger 2245? Fun guns all, and cheap, less recoil.
    Colt makes a top flight 1911A, your injury will take a while to heal. Been there about 8 yrs ago, healing takes time!

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    You could use your injury as an excuse to purchase a new pistol. :D

I would suggest a H&K USP 45. I have one and it is the softest shooting 45 I have ever shot (on par with a 9mm). It definitely has less recoil than any of my 1911s.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not sure that my 1911 (with USPSA power factor loads) has any more recoil than a Glock shooting Winchester white box?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I second the idea of either commisioning a few thousand 230 gr .45ACP rounds loaded with about 3.7 grains of Clays, or consider doing some hand loading. I'd hate to see you have to give up some lovely pistols.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, rotator cuff is some serious stuff. As much as it sucks to say, your options are kind of limited. It's more important that you heal right so you can shoot the big stuff again rather than continue to irritate it causing it my never heal right.

You could load down the .45 like has been said, or get a .22 conversion, or pick something up in a smaller cal like a standard pressure 9mm. Best I could say is get to a doc and get it fixed (usually physical tharapy unless it's bad enough for surgery) unfortunately it is a LONG recovery time, and even longer if you're diabetic or you smoke.

Best wishes, I know it's not the opinion you want to hear, but it's what I got.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I doubt that porting would improve the problem. 45ACP is not a high pressure round so the porting doesn't generally make a significant difference. In the past I had a Wilson Carry Comp and I could tell no significant difference between it and my CQB which is basically the same pistol with no comp. I would think that reloading with the proper load and lighter bullets may very well solve your problem. Chizzle's idea of a 9mm is also a great idea IMHO. There are some really nice 1911s in 9 you could consider.
    Just my :twocents: for what it's worth. [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

Last edited:

1911 mike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    3rd rock from the sun
    I would suggest you send that 45 off to Magnaport. They have done my 45 and it sure took the fight out of it. They did a beautiful job on it. 586-469-6727. Give them a call and speak with them. It made my 45 into a 9mm as far as recoil. Some thing to think about. It really makes your firearm look really cool and for me it was worth the money. Lets say it was over a hundred dollars. Call and get a quote...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have several 1911's and they all recoil differently. The secondary recoil effect of the slide hitting the stop is what jars you. My stainless full size Colt has more of this than My Springer Trophy, also stainless. The TRP is the least amount of the entire group except my steel gun. It has a Compensated barrel and runs pretty tame. It barks but does not bite that hard.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    Thought about having a MD take a look at your shoulders ? :scratch:
    unfortunately, yours truly is an MD and admittedly not the best of patients. Hence I have opted for a conservative approach to my problem. Pokersamurai, I like your suggestion on the HK. Rockhopper, I might consider your suggestion on the loads for my guns.

prostate

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    I would suggest you send that 45 off to Magnaport. They have done my 45 and it sure took the fight out of it. They did a beautiful job on it. 586-469-6727. Give them a call and speak with them. It made my 45 into a 9mm as far as recoil. Some thing to think about. It really makes your firearm look really cool and for me it was worth the money. Lets say it was over a hundred dollars. Call and get a quote...
    thanks 1911 mike, I will give them a call

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I doubt that porting would improve the problem. 45ACP is not a high pressure round so the porting doesn't generally make a significant difference. I would think that reloading with the proper load and lighter bullets may very well solve your problem. Chizzle's idea of a 9mm is also a great idea IMHO. There are some really nice 1911s in 9 you could consider.
    Just my :twocents: for what it's worth. [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

+1

I would never consider porting a nice gun for the reason the OP is needing unless I knew ahead of time it would make enough of a difference to fit my needs...

I bought a ported Springfield in .45 used and see minimal difference in most loads, if any at all. The one thing I did find is the slide to frame fit loosened up more that I would expected and in the case of this Springfield, it voided the warranty and they CLAIM the porting had something to do with changing specs of the slide and changing the fit... :dunno:

Easiest thing to try is spend a few bucks and try some soft loads. You need to buy ammo anyhow to shoot and wouldn't be out anything if it didn't make enough of a difference....

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    ^ the only thing porting does for handguns is make your front sight dirty. I too haven't noticed any difference.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Porting would be a last resort to me too, considering that light 185 gr target loads are available, and usually not too difficult to find for the 45 ACP. Something else to consider would be a progressive recoil spring. I use one in my Springfield 1911, and with lighter loads, the recoil is nearly non existent.

Top Bottom