• ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just saw on WTHR that Troy Riggs is planning to overhaul the department's pursuit policy and also take a look at the use-of-force policy.

My local jurisdiction is "shall pursue" and has a "standard" use-of-force policy on the books.

It interests me to see how the largest and busiest metro department in the state will handle these issues. What do you guys think?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Just saw on WTHR that Troy Riggs is planning to overhaul the department's pursuit policy and also take a look at the use-of-force policy.

My local jurisdiction is "shall pursue" and has a "standard" use-of-force policy on the books.

It interests me to see how the largest and busiest metro department in the state will handle these issues. What do you guys think?

Thats been a topic of discussion for a while. I hope they dont do felony only chases.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is where I think it's headed, unfortunately. It is ironic that resisting with a vehicle (F6) would then technically justify the pursuit in a "broad-brush" policy.

Nope, nobody really does that. Lots of PDs reject the "he ran after running a red lights, so that's a felony pursuit" idea.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I couldn't tell you the last time, if ever, I chased a car and it didn't end up being a felony arrest other than for felony fleeing. Also, every chase I have kicked up has been the result of a traffic violation and I'd guess at least half were intoxicated.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    To all you LEO's out there:

Be honest, its gotta be fun to put the hammer down in pursuit of someone, right? Especially if you were given one of those Mustangs...

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    "Back in the day" before many of you were born, two things usually happened during and after an auto pursuit. First, you probably got shot at, and second you got what INGO would call curbstomped when we caught you. We generally referred to it as a "hickory shampoo" in the era of the nightstick. Not saying it's right or should still be that way, just that is was that way. Pursuit policy, along with use-of-force policies, were reviewed and changed constantly throughout my 26 years on the job. Every change has made it more likely that a person would flee. The current LEs here have it right. Most guys who run, have a reason beyond a traffic violation and chasing 'em in the city is absolutely life-threatening.

While we're talking pursuit, I always got a kick out of the term "police pursuit vehicle'. Most of the cars IPD had on the street, including the brand new Ford I was issued in 1970, wouldn't run 100 MPH. Heavy duty brakes, cooling system, and suspension. Standard 289 V8.

Top Bottom