• ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I think there is an officer taller than me, so he would get first dibs.

But honestly, who in his right mind would WANT the job? And I'm not talking about IMPD specifically; I'm talking about the top spot in ANY major city law enforcement agency. Lots and lots of politics and hassle, and even if you do an outstanding job, you're likely to get dumped if the Mayor gets in a crack and deems it expedient to dump you. I'd think being a District Chief would be PITA enough for anyone.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    But honestly, who in his right mind would WANT the job? And I'm not talking about IMPD specifically; I'm talking about the top spot in ANY major city law enforcement agency. Lots and lots of politics and hassle, and even if you do an outstanding job, you're likely to get dumped if the Mayor gets in a crack and deems it expedient to dump you. I'd think being a District Chief would be PITA enough for anyone.

Yep. I went to the academy with Jerry Barker's son so I heard a lot of the stories of what he had to deal with under Peterson's regime.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yep. I went to the academy with Jerry Barker's son so I heard a lot of the stories of what he had to deal with under Peterson's regime.

Look at what the Police Chiefs of NYC and Chicago have been through in the past couple years. Who believes it was THEIR policies failing that caused them to be fired?

I don't know much about Hogsett (other than this is his first election victory in four tries) or if his experience as a US Attorney have given him a reasonable grasp of what needs to be accomplished to get through this current wave of (apparently) drug-fueled violence in the County, but I AM pretty sure that if his theories about how to handle the current situation don't work out, it won't be HIS resignation we will be seeing; it will be whomever he appoints IMPD Chief.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I don't know if I could deal with one of the top LE jobs anymore. It would definitely depend on how secure my employment was. Can both a major and a council like body fire you? Does it take both or just one independent of the other? Given how things are in this country I would definitely be asking for at least a three to five year contract.

85Cosmo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2016
    West Lafayette
    A thankless job, no one is every satisfied, everyone has a better idea. You have to have thick skin and a real passion for the job to take all of the grief that is direct toward you and your department. I agree with others, the burnout rate is high. In a large metro area like Indy, something is going on every minute of every day. People are constantly upset about something and crime never takes a holiday. Police officers in general are owed a HUGE debt of gratitude for their sacrifices every day. I try to go out of my way to thank any officers I come in contact with. I noticed the article mentioned what the Chief was paid, could not be a more irrelevant number; I and most of us could not and would not try to do his job for multiple times the money. I feel compassion for the ranking officers when they have to stand in front of TV camera and discuss why and how someone else was murdered that night. Nothing they can say will change society, they are there to protect and minimize the damage to society.

Top Bottom