im looking for a new rifle, any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    I am really new to rifles, but i am looking for a bolt action, single shot 22, i want the overall length to be at least 41 inches...any suggestions? my father in law has what i am looking for, it was sold by sears, maybe 50 years ago...i keep bugging him to sell to me but its not gonna happen....too much fun to shoot :)

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    hey, thats perfect, i will be at the indy 1500 in two weeks, hopefully i can find one like that. the reason for the overall length to be at least 41 inches is the shorter rifles just dont feel right....feels like im holding a toy. i think im going to have to get a older gun, since they seem to have wood stocks and a heavy barrel....i checked out a few new guns but they were so short and light, they just didnt feel right.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    Cz452 ultra lux is over 41" and the 452 trainer is cheaper but its 39". They come with a 5rd magazine. They make a blank clip that can only hold one shell if thats what a guy wants. They are built very well and extremely accurate. I bought mine at KS&E guns on pendleton pike. They were the cheapest i could find.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Dunhams has a Marlin 22 LR bolt action on sale right now for $169. I bought it the same price a month or two ago. Plain...but solid rifle.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Too bad CMP sold all their Kimber 82G single shot, bolt action, rifles. With wood stocks and heavy barrels. Easy to scope. Or just use the equipped iron sights. Too bad they are all gone except for the 6,000 in owners hands.

I have been thinking about selling mine....

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am really new to rifles, but i am looking for a bolt action, single shot 22, i want the overall length to be at least 41 inches...any suggestions? my father in law has what i am looking for, it was sold by sears, maybe 50 years ago...i keep bugging him to sell to me but its not gonna happen....too much fun to shoot :)

I would HIGHLY recommend an old Winchester model 67. I have one that is a tack driver. You can pick one up for around $150 in pretty decent shape at any of the gun shows.....and it will last for generations. It's a far better bun that most of the new stuff you will find.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    the 10/22 is a good gun, but there is just something about a bolt action that i really like. i think it might have to do with spending summers at my grandfathers house when i was a kid. i remember his bolt action rifle hanging on the wall, i dont know what make, model or even caliber it was. hes been gone for 15 years now, and i have no idea who ended up with his guns. i wish i could get that rifle, ive asked a few family members about it, but nobody knows what happened to the guns....or if they do know they arent saying....anyways, im going to keep pushing my father in law to sell to me, that way when my boys are older, one of them can have their grandpas gun. its also the first gun my wife ever shot. it does miss fire once in a while, so if i get it i will have to take it to a gun smith, once its fixed this summer and we are finished building the range i can teach my kids on that rifle.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I can attest to a Savage Mark II.. It's not a 'single shot' as it has a box magazine. But it is a bolt gun and can be fed like a single shot if you desire.

I shot about 700 rounds through mine this past weekend and only had error shooting hollow point .22 (there is no feed ramp and 1/50 HP rounds would snag)

It worked wonderfully with round nose ammunition.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Still not a bolt, but I have an older Winchester model 1885 "Low-wall" falling block action single shot.
    This gun was customized long before I ever saw it. It wears a really nice, what appears to be a one-of-a-kind stock, and it has been re-barreled with a Winchester model 52 barrel in .22Lr.

I know, I know, it's a single shot,but it's a falling block, and it's just really fun to shoot.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Save your cash until prices settle down. Start looking at a variety of rifles to get a sense of current prices. Find one that is selling at a great price and buy it. Use the funds you saved to buy more ammo. Practice.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i will be at the indy 1500 on the 15th, hopefully i will find what i am looking for...then again maybe i will find something the exact opposite of what i am looking for, like a s&w m&p15-22....but my guess is that prices will be too high and i will come home empty handed. thats ok though, it will be nice to look around, see whats out there.

Top Bottom