• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Ok, things are looking up. I am in a position to purchase another 1911. I have had a few, a couple of Colts and a Springer. My budget is $700-$800. I am leaning towards a Commander size but have not ruled out a full size. This will be for carry. I will not buy one with GI sights. I've been down that road and my eyes are too old. Obviously, I would prefer all the bells and whistles I can get for the money. I would like those who carry a 1911 in .45acp to give me their opinions. The guns I am looking at would be a Springer, probably used at that price point, an STI, or maybe a Remington.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have an STI Spartan, it has all the bells and whistles. It is STI's entry level 1911, although I do not carry it, it is a very nice 1911 for the price. The trick is finding one used, they are not on the market often, but they do show up from time to time. The new Ruger is also nice for the price.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My Kimber Compact was around $850.00

Its commander length slide with an officer frame. I carry it often and have never had an issue in ~1.5k rnds.

If I were looking for another 1911 for EDC I would get a Sig Traditional Compact. Just my .02

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    We've thrown around a lot of different options in other threads. You wouldn't go wrong with a Springfield and RIAs are worth looking at.

A few comments on the Remington...I have a R1 Enhanced and think it is an excellent pistol, but a few observations about it: It shoots good, is reliable and mine feeds HP and ball rounds both just fine at this point. In the first couple of hundred rounds it had a couple of FTF with some cheap HPs that had a rough jacket when using the magazines it came with-but did fine with WC mags. It will now feed anything with any mag I use.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the fiber optic front sight. It is great on the range, but I would likely swap it with a night sight if it were my primary carry 1911.

The only other criticism that I have on it really is that it could use a little more dehorning if it were to be used as a primary CCW. I have carried it IWB with a cover shirt and practiced with it and haven't had a snag and certainly haven't had any OCing it but do notice a few places that could use some attention when handling it.

If you want to try the Remington out bad enough to drive to Indy to do so :cool: let me know and we can arrange a time that I will be at ECPR and you're welcome to put as many rounds as you bring through it! :rockwoot:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    We've thrown around a lot of different options in other threads. You wouldn't go wrong with a Springfield and RIAs are worth looking at.

A few comments on the Remington...I have a R1 Enhanced and think it is an excellent pistol, but a few observations about it: It shoots good, is reliable and mine feeds HP and ball rounds both just fine at this point. In the first couple of hundred rounds it had a couple of FTF with some cheap HPs that had a rough jacket when using the magazines it came with-but did fine with WC mags. It will now feed anything with any mag I use.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on the fiber optic front sight. It is great on the range, but I would likely swap it with a night sight if it were my primary carry 1911.

The only other criticism that I have on it really is that it could use a little more dehorning if it were to be used as a primary CCW. I have carried it IWB with a cover shirt and practiced with it and haven't had a snag and certainly haven't had any OCing it but do notice a few places that could use some attention when handling it.

If you want to try the Remington out bad enough to drive to Indy to do so :cool: let me know and we can arrange a time that I will be at ECPR and you're welcome to put as many rounds as you bring through it! :rockwoot:

Thanks for the info and the generous offer.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I like the looks of the remington's and Rugers as well, I would also like to pickup a Loaded Springfield one of these days. There's a nice Commander Colt at my LGS, very nice.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I paid $850 for my Springer Champion Loaded. All the bells and whistles, 4" barrel, nice gun. A little over your budget, but maybe you could stretch?

I will do some de-horning and swap the night site out for a FO front. Not worried about low light shooting.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Just bought a LNIB Series 80 Colt on INGO (Thanks Buck Shot). The gun is as presented in the ad and I'm a happy camper. I wanted a 1911 that said Colt on it just because.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    My EDC is a Colt Commander. The sights are a small step up from GI - they are the traditional Colt 3 dot system. The gun is sleek and does not snag. It doesn't have what you would consider a lot of "bells and whistles" but this thing has been 100% out of the box since day 1. I probably have upwards of 2500 rounds through it to date - lead reloads, factory fmj, JHP self defense rounds. All have functioned perfectly in the stock 7 round mags that came with the gun.

I know you pay a little bit for the name but I'm telling you - I couldn't be happier with mine. I paid $875.00 NIB for mine and have never looked back.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

D.R.SCOTT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I carried my Taurus PT 1911 for a while now. I never had a single misfire/malfunction with over 1,000 rounds through it with various ammo, but I do clean it and regularly preform maintenance. One thing I would say to stay away from is an Ambidextrous safety as mine started to loosen up and it creates more of a print when concealed carrying. I'm also not a fan of a two piece guide rod and switched that out as well.

I am going to be getting my third 1911 very soon, I hope you have fun with this wonderful pistol design!

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I think you should be able to pick up a great used pistol in your price range, and you should be able to buy the gun of your choice in that range.

I have several Colts and I love them all. I also have a Ruger SR1911 and if you were looking for that size pistol I highly recommend that gun. It is great right out of the box and shoots like a much more expensive pistol.

I have two short barrel pistols, the Colt Defender and the XDs that just came out. These are very nice carry guns and conceal well.

Good luck in your search.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a Sig 1911 ultra compact 45 ACP, it's my profile pic. I like the gun really well, it was easy to shoot and accurate first trip to the range.

I bought it very lightly used at a gun show from one of my dealer friends. I gave $810 for it.

Saw46071

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I have a rock island . Commander carry all the time
    Put a cyclinder n slide tac 2 kit n it less than
    700. 00 oh did I mention bull barrel . This gun
    Is perfect for me . Check one out

Saw46071

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I have a rock island commander . It's my every day
    Carry . I put a cyclender n slide tac kit 2
    Kit n it and put custom popular grips with
    Gold torx screws . It's a beautiful gun and it
    Has a bull barrel very accurate .

Saw46071

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    45 commander

I'm in it for less than 700.00 rock island
    Bull barrel it's my every day carry !:)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a Metro Arms American Classic Commander (4.25"bbl) and the ACII(Govt 5"bbl) and have two guns for the price of what some people are paying for 1.

The govt is hard chrome, and the commander is Blued. Fit and finish is on par with the higher end production models, except the commander has a few machine marks on the slide rails (no biggie as they will smooth with more rounds)

I've had no issues other than loading them with the junk ACT mags (bad follower design causing nosedives) and other than that, they have fed everything I've fed them.

I have nothing but great things to say about them, other than they eat a lot :)

Top Bottom