• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Is suppressive fire effective against guys that hope they get killed?

I don't care who you are or what you plan on doing, you will seek cover at the first shot. You may change your mind and come back out, but you will get down, if only momentarily. It is at that point that something changes. If you're an emo kid shooting up the school because the quarterback gave you a swirlie, you'll probably shoot yourself. If you're a jihadist, you'll probably come back up shooting. But your focus will no longer be the unarmed you can murder at will. If you're a soldier, you're going into shoot, move, communicate mode. It's the whole "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" thing.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    As for whether or not it would have stopped or hindered the attacks in Paris , we'll never know. Being prepared for the next attack is more important at this point. You don't know where or when, but we do know that the diaper heads will attack again. The question is , do you want to die as a sheep at the slaughter? Me I'd prefer to go out with my boots on. I hope I never have to face the situation though, and God help me do what needs to be done if it happens.

Being prepared? After hearing about this last night, I was at a school play. So of course we were not armed; we can't risk a felony. That really frosts me.

Last edited:

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    It has always been my thought if you are into killing or robbing don't you want to go to the place that don't have guns to hurt you with? If you are into robbing don't you want to do it as safe as you possible can for you? Then you go to a place that has the lowest chance of someone pulling a gun on you.

This stuff of gun free zones is just an invite to nuts that want to do harm. Stop here and kill us. People around the world have proven that if they can't get a gun they will use other ways to kill people. Guns are good but bombs are better and make for better news.

Would a armed population have changed anything? Yes! Some people would have had a chance to react over laying down to die.

If it had happened in the US how many people would have been armed? Of the people I know I would say only about a third are armed when they go out. Better than half of the people I know have guns.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Jail vs Death
    Yep, it's a conundrum. :rolleyes:

Those are the 2 choices if it is the time you get attacked. Another angle though is that if it's the time you (for example) pass out from exertion, get caught up in a fire alarm rush, have your first heart attack.... all of which are more common than mass shootings.... then it's the time you were doing nothing else wrong but get "found' illegally carrying a weapon.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm not sure if there would be much of a difference had they tried that in the US. How many public venues disarm everyone entering. Sure, but stuff like the 500, the Superbowl or even an NFL game have pretty tight security and it would take a lot for a group to get from cover to the actual event. But what about the smaller venues like Bankers Life, the symphony or any other that is lightly secured with parking fairly close. How many of us are armed at a Pacers game? Even Circle Center Mall might be lightly armed due to it's status as a school now.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of soft, unarmed targets in the US. Those that run most concerts or sporting events are very quick to disarm anyone that attempts entry. On the other hand, it might be harder to recruit suicide bombers in the US. Conditions of life are less miserable here.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think INGO backseat lawyers decided the school in CCM didn't count to covering the entire premises.

How many of us are armed at a Pacers game?

Me, every time. ESG, and whoever their competitor is, aren't great at finding determined carriers.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I don't care who you are or what you plan on doing, you will seek cover at the first shot. You may change your mind and come back out, but you will get down, if only momentarily. It is at that point that something changes. If you're an emo kid shooting up the school because the quarterback gave you a swirlie, you'll probably shoot yourself. If you're a jihadist, you'll probably come back up shooting. But your focus will no longer be the unarmed you can murder at will. If you're a soldier, you're going into shoot, move, communicate mode. It's the whole "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" thing.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^ If there where just a few armed persons in the theatre, they would have seriously slowed down the terrorists. Even just one armed person would have had a large impact on the terrorists plans. Regardless if you think their ultimate goal is to die, it is not. They carefully planned this assault to take out as many innocent people as possible. They do not want to die until the very end after they have created as much damage as possible. That is the ultimate goal of terrorism. If just one armed person resisted their attack, their plan would have to change to focus on the armed resistance. Would you die? Yeah, I'm afraid so, but you would have created enough confusion for them that many of the would be victims could escape. Even after you have been removed as a threat, they would have to be cautious and verify that you were no longer a threat to them. If you were fortunate enough to wound or kill one of them, that would really put a kink in their planned attack. I think that would slow them down even more. The more confusion that an armed person could create would only work in favor of the defender.

The only problem that I would have in a situation like this would be to quickly recognize it as a terrorist attack. I'm afraid that the older I become, the slower I am to recognize situations like this. If all of my focus was on the show, it would take me several moments to realize there was an attack and then to respond. Growing old sucks....

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    100 rock-n-rollers are dead. If 10% of those were packing heat it would be 10 against four..... And those 10 would be dispersed in the crowd. You can't say for sure that rock and roll will never die, but 10 to 4 is better odds than 0 to 4.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    In support of "this is a tool, I am the weapon idea" --

ISIS also attacked Beirut, with many casualties. One unarmed man named Adel Termos saved many people by tackling a suicide bomber. His self-sacrifice deserves respect and acknowledgement.

Beirut: The Terrorist Attack the Media Ignored Day Before Paris

Are you sure that's not a spoof site? Looking at the other very PC stories featured there and figured it's an Onion clone...

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Earlier in this thread we were discussing the fighting spirit, or lack of, of the French. I just wanted to remind everyone that it does exist. Read the first stanza of their national anthem if you need a reminder.
    Arise children of the fatherland
    The day of glory has arrived
    Against us tyranny's
    Bloody standard is raised
    Listen to the sound in the fields
    The howling of these fearsome soldiers
    They are coming into our midst
    To cut the throats of your sons and consorts

To arms citizens Form your battalions
    March, march
    Let impure blood
    Water our furrows

This horrible incident is nothing to celebrate. But we can hope that it serves to awaken that spirit in your everyday Frenchman and serve as a reminder to us of our own.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    What worries and sickens me is that if these losers try something like this in the US, that they will choose the most painful places of all: schools, amusement parks, etc. IOW, kids.

But it's perhaps only a matter of time before they get a nuclear bomb. Then things get ugly.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Earlier in this thread we were discussing the fighting spirit, or lack of, of the French. I just wanted to remind everyone that it does exist. Read the first stanza of their national anthem if you need a reminder.

This horrible incident is nothing to celebrate. But we can hope that it serves to awaken that spirit in your everyday Frenchman and serve as a reminder to us of our own.

And the French lost a LOT of men in the world wars.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    ^^^This^^^^. Around 1.5 million KIA and over 4 million wounded in a population of slightly less than 40 million (1914). Thats over a 12% casualty rate only a generation before the two. If we had had to mobilize and fight a major war in say 1885 how do you think that would have gone? You can't replace those kinds of losses that quickly

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think the anti-gunners are going to feel some sting from this Paris situation. Same with the far-left political world in Europe. The National Front is set to win big in France, and this will certainly help.

Interpol: allowing citizens to carry guns in public is most effective way to prevent terror attacks (2013)

http://10news.dk/?p=760

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think the anti-gunners are going to feel some sting from this Paris situation. Same with the far-left political world in Europe. The National Front is set to win big in France, and this will certainly help.

Interpol: allowing citizens to carry guns in public is most effective way to prevent terror attacks (2013)

http://10news.dk/?p=760

The National Front wants to take the guns away from the criminals in the suburbs, I don't think they are in favor of arming the average citizen.
    Same thing we see in the States.Politicians want to get gun off the streets, not arm the good citizens.

Top Bottom