If D.C. becomes a "state", what stops other cities from becoming states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Reading the other thread and got to wondering? If D.C. becomes a state, what stops NYC, LA, Chicago, San Fran from also becoming states?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Other cities belong to states. I imagine the states would have a say in the matter unlike Washington DC.

I would like to see Maryland sue to get their land back where DC sits. More tax revenues for them but I doubt Hogan has the gumption.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We have had several fantasy threads and posts about states breaking up into multiple states and now cities. The simple stop is the current state legislature would have approve this and I cannot see any of them giving up power...

cam4usa

Veteran
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Delaware County, IN
    Why stop dreaming here! How about we split Indiana into 13 states, one for each of our districts. We can even go ahead and jerrymander them in a way that all 13 have just a little slice of the greater Indianapolis area to ensure all 13 new states are red.

Slippery slope... but dreamers can dream

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I have a way to fix the election problem. Every county in the United States gets 1 electoral vote. Problem solved.
    I'd prefer a more statistical solution to more properly assign weight between areas of different population density. Assign a weight according to sqrt(N) where N is the number of people contained to the district, then start collecting districts and continue the sqrt(N) as we coarse grain over larger and larger areas (voting districts to say city/county limits), then by counties into the states, and states to give us the total. Basically - fractals. ;) I got this from talking to a German guy who studies voting patterns and how to (fairly) assign weights to countries voting within the EU. The square root of the population is basically how likely the the vote is to be wrong if every vote is independent. Even within a household voting patterns can vary, so it's not a terrible assumption to assume votes are independent.

As for the gerrymandering... We can definitely fix that nonsense with math.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

Article IV​

• Section 3​

• Clause 1
      • New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
        • ArtIV.S3.C1.1 Admission of New States
          • ArtIV.S3.C1.1.1 Admission of and the Rights of New States

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd prefer a more statistical solution to more properly assign weight between areas of different population density. Assign a weight according to sqrt(N) where N is the number of people contained to the district, then start collecting districts and continue the sqrt(N) as we coarse grain over larger and larger areas (voting districts to say city/county limits), then by counties into the states, and states to give us the total. Basically - fractals. ;) I got this from talking to a German guy who studies voting patterns and how to (fairly) assign weights to countries voting within the EU. The square root of the population is basically how likely the the vote is to be wrong if every vote is independent. Even within a household voting patterns can vary, so it's not a terrible assumption to assume votes are independent.

As for the gerrymandering... We can definitely fix that nonsense with math.
    Well my way makes sure everyone gets represented properly ;)

Over 3000 counties vote constitutional and only a little over 400 counties vote totalitarian. Doesn't seem right that 400 counties can dictate the outcome over 3000 counties.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

Article IV​

• Section 3​

• Clause 1
      • New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.
    There you go. Letting a pesky little thing like the Constitution get in the way. Don't you know we live in a postmodern world where it is all about "feels & power". What used to be absurd thirty years ago is happening now.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    There you go. Letting a pesky little thing like the Constitution get in the way. Don't you know we live in a postmodern world where it is all about "feels & power". What used to be absurd thirty years ago is happening now.
    Please check your spelling in the future, it is feelz, please make a note of it. LOL

Reactions: KLB

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

Article IV​

• Section 3​

• Clause 1
    That pesky thing? Pfft.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Well my way makes sure everyone gets represented properly ;)

Over 3000 counties vote constitutional and only a little over 400 counties vote totalitarian. Doesn't seem right that 400 counties can dictate the outcome over 3000 counties.
    It's difficult to accept your method as impartial if you're dividing it based on "constitutional" vs. "totalitarian" at the face of it. Additionally, there is a genuine question of how to balance dense vs sparse population for electing single officals that you don't seem interested in. Just choosing it based on counties is basically the same as gerrymandering. You're not wanting to answer "how to we make voting fair?" You're answering "how can I make a voting system that agrees with me?" Then you have the gall to say that anyone who disagrees with you is a totalitarian.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It's difficult to accept your method as impartial if you're dividing it based on "constitutional" vs. "totalitarian" at the face of it. Additionally, there is a genuine question of how to balance dense vs sparse population for electing single officals that you don't seem interested in. Just choosing it based on counties is basically the same as gerrymandering. You're not wanting to answer "how to we make voting fair?" You're answering "how can I make a voting system that agrees with me?" Then you have the gall to say that anyone who disagrees with you is a totalitarian.
    Right now 6 counties in my area vote on constitutional lines, yet one large county overrides us and we have no say in anything. In a way our vote and our ideals mean nothing and do not get represented. The house of representatives is way under what the constitution calls for per population. This is another reason for lack of representation.

Because of this we are literally being taxed and ruled without proper representation.

Top Bottom