• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Ok, I've wanted to get into some kind of shooting sport for a while. USPSA looks like fun, but IDPA seems to be more fun and for me personally, it looks a bit better. So, while I'm open to USPSA (may want to do both some day) I'm focusing on IDPA for now. Basicly I just want to tag along on a match to check it out. Are there any IDPA folks here willing to let me tag along with them? I don't know if it's an issue, but I'd be happy to get the annual membership if that simplifies being there to watch (getting into the host site or whatever). It looks like there are several places that host events around the state. Noblesville would be the closest for me, but I'm willing to drive. There is some good info on the IDPA site, but I didn't ever find a "Getting into" or "How to get started" other than where it said you just need a gun, ammo and holster. I guess my fear is going and having no clue WTH I'm supposed to do and slowing the group down because I don't know anything, or don't understand what I do know about it. If anyone is willing, let me know a date/location and if I can make it I will.

Also I'm reloading now, so I can afford ammo easier. ATM I've got 3 mags for my P345, no minimum mag count is listed. More is better, but is 3 an okay start? Also, for others curious about it, here is a good video of the classifications:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-F7XkqnDNA]YouTube - 95.89 second IDPA classifier - SSP Master - Hatcam[/ame]

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you tag along to watch, you'll end up wishing you'd brought your gun along and shot. Might as well do just that.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Sure bendrx, its a BLAST.

send me a PM with your email and I will fill you in, and we can head up to the next IDPA match in Atlanta IN, and I will clue you in on the noobiness that I just recently got past myself :)

In fact, depending on where you are at, we might be able to set up some IDPA steel targets and have a little run thru practice :)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For autoloaders, you can have a max of 3 mags with ammo available (ETA - this means during the COF. I'd have a 4th for your Barney load.). One in the gun and two on the belt. Mags generally have to be filled to division capacity (e.g. SSP - Glocks, 10 rounds in mag).

Atlanta Conservation Club has the biggest match crowds. Wildcat Valley (Brookston) I'd suggest just showing up, introducing yourself to the match director, and asking a lot of questions. Most shooters will be happy to explain things and point things out (I know I am).

A listing of all of IDPA and USPSA matches (and a few others) are listed here on my site - Indygunracers.com - Indiana Competition Shooting Info

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ben, you should have asked a couple of weeks ago. You just missed the IDPA at AtlantaCC the first Saturday and the IDPA at Wildcat this past Saturday. I don't know when I'll shoot next, but you're welcome to tag along with me when I do. If you don't want to shoot the first time, you will still need your eye and hearing protection.

Ok, I've wanted to get into some kind of shooting sport for a while. USPSA looks like fun, but IDPA seems to be more fun and for me personally, it looks a bit better. So, while I'm open to USPSA (may want to do both some day) I'm focusing on IDPA for now. Basicly I just want to tag along on a match to check it out. Are there any IDPA folks here willing to let me tag along with them? I don't know if it's an issue, but I'd be happy to get the annual membership if that simplifies being there to watch (getting into the host site or whatever). It looks like there are several places that host events around the state. Noblesville would be the closest for me, but I'm willing to drive. There is some good info on the IDPA site, but I didn't ever find a "Getting into" or "How to get started" other than where it said you just need a gun, ammo and holster. I guess my fear is going and having no clue WTH I'm supposed to do and slowing the group down because I don't know anything, or don't understand what I do know about it. If anyone is willing, let me know a date/location and if I can make it I will.

Also I'm reloading now, so I can afford ammo easier. ATM I've got 3 mags for my P345, no minimum mag count is listed. More is better, but is 3 an okay start? Also, for others curious about it, here is a good video of the classifications:

YouTube - 95.89 second IDPA classifier - SSP Master - Hatcam

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Ben, you should have asked a couple of weeks ago. You just missed the IDPA at AtlantaCC the first Saturday and the IDPA at Wildcat this past Saturday. I don't know when I'll shoot next, but you're welcome to tag along with me when I do. If you don't want to shoot the first time, you will still need your eye and hearing protection.

I may be interested. Let me know the next time you go. I'm a uspsa person but need to branch out to the other sports.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    I'm set to go on 11/6 with a member to help get me up to speed. I've kinda enrolled in IDPA. I did the online thing, and then it said it couldn't process my app for some reason. Tried a couple more times and same thing. I was in my email and saw a reciept for my 1 year membership payment. I've emailed the IDPA to see what's up. This was yesterday at work, but I just checked and no reply yet. So somebody has my money, but I don't have any info back yet. In short, I'm "in" and will be going to others.

Top Bottom