• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    I have a 38 Sp/357 revolver - S&W Frame. It currently sports boot grips that I want to change out for a full size grip. I am going to set it up for my wife to use as a HD handgun. Because of arthritis, I am looking to get a grip with cushioning. However, because of latex allergies, I can't use rubber. Any ideas for a cushy grip that has no rubber? Hogue is out as an option.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    What about something like this?

W3s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Maybe try casting your own, using your existing grips to make a mold? I'm pretty sure you can buy diy silicone molding kits.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Maybe try casting your own, using your existing grips to make a mold? I'm pretty sure you can buy diy silicone molding kits.
    RTV silicone can be used, but there's various shore hardness.
    It will likely require a backing plate and screw spacers. My guess is it would be best to purchase them, if they're available.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Don't waste your money. If she is having Arthritis in her hands the .38/.357 will cause a lot of hurt. Go to a .32 ACP in one of the larger guns, 1903 Colt Hammerless or Walther PP. It is better than a .22! If you wonder why this recommendation, I have Arthritis in my hands. Don't let the gun writers wanting to sale magazines influence you belief about the .32.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    See if you can find one of these...S&W 31-1 in .32 S&W Long. It's a 6-shot J-Frame with mild recoil, and absolutely no rubber (the BK Grip adapter is hard plastic). It'll fire and extract .32 ACP, too.

My wife and kids like shooting this one because it doesn't recoil much more than a .22, but being center-fire it is sprung lighter than my rimfire revolvers.

52124421997_34a608c9b1_o.jpg

Patched

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    Lake County
    Thanks to all for the ideas. I am going to look into a number of the options suggested. The last time I shot my S&W revolver, I was shooting SD rounds. I remember the discomfort from the exposed metal backstop. I would also benefit from a more cushioned grip. I'll see if C&M Rubber has an option for an N frame. if not, it will be a Pachmayr Deccelerator with tape.

I've never shot or even handled a 32 S&W revolver, so I'll have to look into that. If ballistically adequate and with lower recoil, it would be a great option.

Thanks again!!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't waste your money. If she is having Arthritis in her hands the .38/.357 will cause a lot of hurt. Go to a .32 ACP in one of the larger guns, 1903 Colt Hammerless or Walther PP. It is better than a .22! If you wonder why this recommendation, I have Arthritis in my hands. Don't let the gun writers wanting to sale magazines influence you belief about the .32.

Tough to beat the Colt 1903, they look good and are very reliable. There are also the Savage semi autos from the same era.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Thanks to all for the ideas. I am going to look into a number of the options suggested. The last time I shot my S&W revolver, I was shooting SD rounds. I remember the discomfort from the exposed metal backstop. I would also benefit from a more cushioned grip. I'll see if C&M Rubber has an option for an N frame. if not, it will be a Pachmayr Deccelerator with tape.

I've never shot or even handled a 32 S&W revolver, so I'll have to look into that. If ballistically adequate and with lower recoil, it would be a great option.

Thanks again!!
    Maybe low(er) velocity reloads?
    Some 125 gr bullets down around 650-700 fps should be manageable

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    The .32 S&W Long road on a lot of lawmen's hips in the 1920's and 1930's. I carry one in a shoulder holster a lot when traveling. I have both a Colt and a S&W in .32 they shot as easy as my 1903 Colt Hammerless and there is no slide. If using the .32 center mass or pelvic are the best area to shoot. A lot of medical reports show the .32 acting like a ping pong ball bouncing around the chest cavity. In the pelvic area the .32 breaks the pelvic bone putting the person on the ground with a lot of pain giving you time for the killing shot. The recoil so far is not hurting my hands. The grip on the Colt Police Positive .32 S&W Long or S&W 32 Hand Ejector Model will fit most women's hand better than a k frame S&W.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Does anybody know which elastomers Hogue and Pachmayr use?

Just because something is rubber, doesn't necessarily mean it contains Latex.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    As far as small revolvers try running some full wadcutters in it. That’s a proven effective stopper from snubs and very easy to shoot on the hands. The full wadcutter doesn’t need speed it cuts full 38 caliber holes in sternums and gets to the goods.

Awls defense rounds are all blast and no night in small guns.

That said if grips is still a need some guys like the soft backstrap on crimson trace the bad news they don’t make them without the laser so how bad do you want the grips?

Good luck

Top Bottom