I was "out-ed" on a conference call tonight!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm actually serious if you can believe that. I was on a conference call tonight with some folks from work getting ready for a presentation this Friday. The team members I'm presenting with are from all over the world.

2 are from India and now live in the US. 1 still lives in India, and one is a US native now living in Australia. (reason for the 9pm conf call)

As the conference call was winding down, the inevitable debate about US health care cropped up. We talked about health care in India (very much socialized) as well as Australia.

The comments around Australia lead to a comment about how they are a good example of what the US could be if we continue down the path we are on. Personal gun ownership came up, and the other US guy says to me, "yeah, you wouldn't like living down here, you couldn't bring your guns."

Immediately there was the ghasp from one of the members from India of "Why would anyone ever want to own a gun?"

I decided that a business conference call wasn't the right place to state my thoughts on the matter, so invited that person to discuss it with me over a beer next time we are together face to face. Surprisingly, the person declined, almost in a condescending way. :dunno:

Anyhow, I thought the exchange was a bit interesting just from the fact that this individual is used to a completely different form of Democracy in India, and now lives in a very large metropolitan area in the US that is likely left leaning. I don't think they are aware of the passion many of us have for our rights, including the RKBA.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I was just reading something, in Pakistan it is a sign of Honor for a man to carry an AK47 and that most Pakistani's view handguns as weak.

Electron don

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Evansville
    India Hunter

Ditto about people from India. Very nice fellow from India visits my classroom regularly. He is PHD chemist from SABIC (Formerly GE). Some of the guys from there took him deer hunting during black powder season and he got one.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    My inlaws had a group of Korean nursing exchange students over for dinner one night. These girls had never seen a gun up close, much less ever handle one.

My father in law has a fantastic gun collection and each girl giggled and had her picture taken hefting a nice M1 Garand. :D

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    You weren't outed. Now, they have someone to talk to when they are away from the crowd and want to know about a .22 versus a .38. I believe there are no true gun-haters, just those who have had a bad experience and those who have not had any experience; just like with motorcycles.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    I'm actually serious if you can believe that. I was on a conference call tonight with some folks from work getting ready for a presentation this Friday. The team members I'm presenting with are from all over the world.

2 are from India and now live in the US. 1 still lives in India, and one is a US native now living in Australia. (reason for the 9pm conf call)

As the conference call was winding down, the inevitable debate about US health care cropped up. We talked about health care in India (very much socialized) as well as Australia.

The comments around Australia lead to a comment about how they are a good example of what the US could be if we continue down the path we are on. Personal gun ownership came up, and the other US guy says to me, "yeah, you wouldn't like living down here, you couldn't bring your guns."

Immediately there was the ghasp from one of the members from India of "Why would anyone ever want to own a gun?"

I decided that a business conference call wasn't the right place to state my thoughts on the matter, so invited that person to discuss it with me over a beer next time we are together face to face. Surprisingly, the person declined, almost in a condescending way. :dunno:

Anyhow, I thought the exchange was a bit interesting just from the fact that this individual is used to a completely different form of Democracy in India, and now lives in a very large metropolitan area in the US that is likely left leaning. I don't think they are aware of the passion many of us have for our rights, including the RKBA.

Perhaps your Indian colleague needs a refresher course in the history of his own country. :n00b: India did not become a British colony because it had too many guns... I'd e-mail him this quote:

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    There is a reason why the US is the most powerful, most advanced country in the world and that is our desire and love of freedom and liberty, which was taken and kept by individuals willing to take up a gun.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You weren't outed. Now, they have someone to talk to when they are away from the crowd and want to know about a .22 versus a .38. I believe there are no true gun-haters, just those who have had a bad experience and those who have not had any experience; just like with motorcycles.

Though I agree with you, but not 100%. I have been surprised how people open up when they find you own guns then tell you about theirs and hunting. I recently had a colleague tell me he gained new respect after showing some photos of him as a kid where he shot his first deer and I recognized the Browning shotgun in the picture. I have noticed people are very reticent to mention guns until they find out you are not offended. That said, I had a very heated discussion with a young female lawyer that hated guns and saw no reason for anyone to own one. The truly brainwashed are not so inclined to agree with us about anything relating to guns.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Honestly, I still find many Americans who ask the same kind of questions as to "why do you need to own or carry a gun". I don't think it is only people outside the country that feels that way. It's just a reason that this country is still great and what differentiates us from many others, that we can do it...

:patriot:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Maybe they need a refresher course on the history of the world? Look at how many countries, after the population was striped of their right to bear arms. The government then stepped in, and killed hundreds of thousands of the population. Or the fact if not for our God given right, Japan most likely would have invaded us. Or the fact that farmers armed with guns, helped to win the Revolutionary war. It's easy to point fingers, and blame when you are blind. People like that are just sheep, and the government is the herder. That's what the government wants!

Top Bottom