• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I don't know where knife budgets start or finish.I do believe you get what you pay for.I plan on owning only one to carry while traveling in the woods.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I don't know where knife budgets start or finish.I do believe you get what you pay for.I plan on owning only one to carry while traveling in the woods.

Do you want to spend $20 or $1000.00? It's all about your personal budget. Once that's established it would be easier to recommend companies that are within your means. Just remember one is none and two is one. A lot of guys will carry a good blade plus a hatchet. It just depends on what your expectations are. I couldn't imagine only carrying one blade.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    Rather than naming companies here are some things to check when considering what to get.

Metal type - two basic directions stainless or carbon. The stainless steels are more corrosion resistant (but not corrosion proof). Here is a list of knife steels. List of blade materials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I prefer AUS8 and some of the MoV steels in stainless and the 1095 steels (with differential hardening mentioned later) in carbon steels. Most carbon steel knives now days have ceramic or polymeric coatings for improved corrosion resistance.

Along with metal type think about hardness. A super hard knife will hold a edge great, until it gets dull. Then it can be much harder to sharpen. Many of the higher end stainless knives need diamond based sharpening systems (which are common now but used to be rare). The Arkansas stones and synthetic stones just get chewed and hardly make an edge.

Some of my opinions.

For defense purposes I choose a very hard stainless. This will hardly ever be used, and certainly not for utility purposes, so as long as it comes with a good edge I won't need to re sharpen often if at all. Benchmade, kershaw if your budget can afford it. cRKT on a smaller budget. Look for assisted opening or automatic if legal in your area.

Daily utility a cRKT in a moderately hard stainless. Can be kept sharp easily with weekly touch up on ceramic sticks. Assisted opening or "flipper" preferred vs thumb stud.

For camp / survival a good 1095 carbon steel diferentially tempered to keep good edge but tough spine. EESE, Ontario have been good for me. This carbon steel can be sharpened with improvised sharpening tools (stones, files, welding rods, sandpaper, etc) and the carbon steels can strike sparks from natural and artificial flints. Straight back for batoning and prying without worrying about the strength of the lock or pivot.

Hope this helped.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    Well I've realize there is alot to learn.I believe 1095 steel will probably best suite me.Still a little confused on the HRC that suites me so some more research will be needed.My quest has got me looking at Ontario,EESE,Busse,and Survive Knives.I can see how this could turn into an addiction quickly.:D

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Well I've realize there is alot to learn.I believe 1095 steel will probably best suite me.Still a little confused on the HRC that suites me so some more research will be needed.My quest has got me looking at Ontario,EESE,Busse,and Survive Knives.I can see how this could turn into an addiction quickly.:D

Checkout TOPS Knives, Swamp Rat, and Scrapyard.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    look at Busse, swamp rat, esse, blind horse, scrapyard.

all companies that back up their product with a replacement warranty. If a company doesnt do that they dont even believe in their own knives

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    For a first knife for bushcraft, it's hard to beat an ESEE. I couldn't keep mine from rusting though (I edc'd it) but for a camp knife, they are hard to beat.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For the money, it's impossible to beat Swamp Rat or Scrap Yard.

If you want to spend more, there's Busse, Treeman, Falkniven, etc.

If you want to drop the money on a piece of 1095....Graymen

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I do 90% of my bushcraft with a Kershaw Scallion.

I have field dressed a deer with a knife I made in an hour out of a saw blade.
    8670824321_e8ca02236b_z.jpg

My Becker BK-2 has been reliable, I added a tec-lock to the sheath, big improvement.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    There have been some good recommendations on ESEE, Swamp Rat, Scrapyard, Blind Horse, Grayman etc. All of these make a quality product. Someone asked earlier about your budget. If you could give us an idea of how much you are looking to spend or a price range, the suggestions could be a little more specific.

For example, if you want to stay on the "cheaper" end of the spectrum, say less than $50, I am sure most would suggest something from the Mora line, like the newer Robust. Quality knives that won't break the bank. If you have a much higher budget, the knives from Busse are a high end "production" knife or someone might suggest a full on custom.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    There are a bazillion great choices out there. My suggestion would be to focus on the quality of construction, materials and warranty rather than features. Lots of "survival" knives out there with a tons of useless features and will fail you down the road. I like simple blade shapes, because they are much easier to keep sharp in the field. Scandi grinds are particularly easy to keep sharp too.

Also, you may consider a smaller knife / camp axe combo rather than 2 foot long chopper. My current "go to" setup is a Helle Tamagami and Gränsfors Bruks Small Forest Axe. Set me back about $250, and I feel confident I can not only handle most situations mother nature throws at me, but it's easy equipment to maintain.

ESEE and Busse / Swamp Rat / Scrapyard all very popular choices on here, and for good reason. Some other cool ones to check out are Bark River, Blind Horse, Grayman, and Fällkniven.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Randall Made Knives.

They've been opening c-rations, used in hand to hand combat, skinning game and everything else you can imagine for over 60 years.

They've been used by Special Forces, Spies, Presidents and Astronauts. From deep sea diving to Space, people have trusted their lives to RMK for decades.

If you can't afford them, call Knife Lady and tell her you want an ESEE.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Randall Made Knives.

They've been opening c-rations, used in hand to hand combat, skinning game and everything else you can imagine for over 60 years.

They've been used by Special Forces, Spies, Presidents and Astronauts. From deep sea diving to Space, people have trusted their lives to RMK for decades.

And technically, by doing those activities, you just voided the warranty on a Randall.

Cutting tools only

:dunno:

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm good with that. Randall knives never break :)

And if I ever get one of mine to break, that's the perfect excuse I've been looking for to... buy another one!

Top Bottom