I want to go live in a garden shed (In a van down by the river!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I recently purchased some land in Michigan. Not alot, about 1/2 an acre, but it is within walking distance of a nice lake and within 13 miles of lake Michigan.
    The lot is in the woods and there are no utilities to the property. I can build on it, park an RV, or camp on it. I was thinking about building a garden shed like you see at Lowes, they look like a small barn. (Maybe 8x10 in size with a loft.) Put it on Railroad ties so there wouldn't be any foundation. (Hence no building permits. I believe.) Figured it might make a nice weekend get away. I would bring in water and a chemical toilet. I have solar power to add to it. Propane stove to cook on.
    Do I have it covered? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this?

Last edited:

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Do an affordable pole barn with an "office" it should steer you clear of codes and zoning covenants. Or a nice fall out shelter for the "Gun vault" to make it secure. Just some more cheapy ideas.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Guy I work with has land in Wisconsin and did just that. My shed here is pretty good sized, 12x20x12 with a loft. I think his is smaller. He later put up a pole barn I think. But he stays in the small shed. This year he put up a huge tree house, too. And sleeps up there at times. He did get electric put in, though. Not sure if he has septic or what though for toilet.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Guy I work with has land in Wisconsin and did just that. My shed here is pretty good sized, 12x20x12 with a loft. I think his is smaller. He later put up a pole barn I think. But he stays in the small shed. This year he put up a huge tree house, too. And sleeps up there at times. He did get electric put in, though. Not sure if he has septic or what though for toilet.

I've been thinking alot about this exact same thing as a potential bug out shelter.

I've got a 10x20x13 with the a 10x4 loft built on both sides for storage, but see how easily it could be used for sleeping at least 4 people if it was expanded out on both sides.

That leaves the entire floor for a kitchenette on one side and plenty of space for a living dining combo, heck you could even built on a small 4x4 add on for a outhouse style chem toilet.

I paid 3100.00 to have it built because I did not have the time to so it, but figured it out that I could have done it for under 1000.00 in materials, throw in maybe 500.00 for insulation, osb interior wall and a proper entry door and it'd be good to go as a abode.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Have you thought about a travel trailer? You can get a used one for a great price.
    I did, but I'd have to find away to get it there. I don't have a truck to pull it. PLus it could be tight getting it into the woods without clearing some of the trees. I was thinking that with a shed I could build it on site. Then if I ever build a "proper" cabin I could use this for storage or whatever.

JeremySmith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Rolling Prairie
    Check with the local building department to see at what size you need to have a permit. I built an 8x10 shed in my back yard to use as an office - full power, air conditioning and heat. Almost all of the materials came in one well-stacked pickup load. If I weren't married, I could live in the thing. A good place to check for ideas is Tumbleweed Homes. He builds small houses, and gets paid well - but it's nothing you couldn't do yourself with some determination.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Congrats :rockwoot:Trailers & woods do not mix. I've done it twice and say never again. The loft idea with a pole barn or shed are the best bet IMO. Home show one year had a very small yard barn that had been converted into a cabin. Loft upstairs was the bedroom, very small kitchen and a head. You could log the outside with log siding and you would be very surprised at your finished product.

Good Luck and keep us posted :patriot:

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    I had a barn that I h ad built and lived in for about 6 months. It was pretty neat and low cost. It was built on some of my Dads land away from his actual house.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I recently purchased some land in Michigan. Not alot, about 1/2 an acre, but it is within walking distance of a nice lake and within 13 miles of lake Michigan.
    The lot is in the woods and there are no utilities to the property. I can build on it, park an RV, or camp on it. I was thinking about building a garden shed like you see at Lowes, they look like a small barn. (Maybe 8x10 in size with a loft.) Put it on Railroad ties so there wouldn't be any foundation. (Hence no building permits. I believe.) Figured it might make a nice weekend get away. I would bring in water and a chemical toilet. I have solar power to add to it. Propane stove to cook on.
    Do I have it covered? Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions on this?

For anything like you are describing this is the way I would go.

17547a_Frndshp_cabins_510.jpg

17547a_Frndshp_cabins_509.jpg

17547a_Frndshp_cabins_511.jpg

You can get that native rough cut poplar pretty cheap at the amish saw mill near mitchell. Get the big bottles of propane you can still haul in a truck and run a couple lines in for lights and may be to cook or a water heater and may be a gas refrigerator.

You need a water tower and a pump for your project and a wood cook stove.

You can see a few of these cabins put to good use with people living in them for the week at the NMLRA rendezvous at Friendship Indiana starting this weekend.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    For anything like you are describing this is the way I would go.

17547a_Frndshp_cabins_510.jpg

17547a_Frndshp_cabins_509.jpg

17547a_Frndshp_cabins_511.jpg

You can get that native rough cut poplar pretty cheap at the amish saw mill near mitchell. Get the big bottles of propane you can still haul in a truck and run a couple lines in for lights and may be to cook or a water heater and may be a gas refrigerator.

You need a water tower and a pump for your project and a wood cook stove.
    As an amateur woodworker I'm in awe of those wood joints. Very cool.

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    My storage building is 10X14 and I don't think I'd want to go any smaller. Even without shelves on the sides for your carry in food etc. you still stack things up on the perimeter for storage. Pegs to hang clothes, a line to dry things, rack for a rifle, fold down table. they all take up wall room. It would take a pretty good investment just in materials to build something like that "Tumbleweed".

Top Bottom