I should have bought one of these years ago!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    I picked up a used motor scooter the other day...always wanted one to mess around with. It's just a crappy Chinese bike but man, it's got some balls! I was out for a couple hours just cruising around and making sure it was going to run. I ran most of the gas out, filled up, checked mileage. 76.4 MPG! (Per the speedo which could be off a little) But still...heck yeah buddy. I used .746 gallons LOL

It's a Roketa 150 CC. I replaced the stator, coil, spark plug, and carb. I've still got less than $600 into this hog. Yeah, chicks dig it.

Anybody else into these things?

PhotoMay19173918.jpg

MMRUSH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I believe anything over 49 cc requires plates and insurance. Unless this law has recently changed.

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    Being 150cc - does it require tags/insurance/motorcycle license? :dunno:

Technically, yes. ;)
    In Utah (where I'm at) you need that crap even for the 49cc ones. Last I knew in Indiana a 49cc didn't require that stuff- but that could be different now. Plus, the last time I rode one was 10 years ago living out in the sticks...no one would have said anything even if it was required.

No, I haven't had any DUIs.:D

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Aha...you funny guy! :)

Hey, don't be hatin'... I'd like to see you get that kind of mileage LOL

thatguy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Most fun I've ever had on two wheels. 49cc Yamaha Zuma in the North Georgia mountains. Nothing like riding with a bunch of idiots decked out in full leathers riding scooters with no tags in an area that is notoriously anti-bike.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My girlfriend's 3 kids each have a Roketa 49cc scooter.

I've found that these chinese scooters all need to be tweaked often to keep running right, as they aren't of the highest quality.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    In addition to motorcycles, I've owned some scooters. Modern all the way to a 1961 Fuji Rabbit 90. I dig vintage (pre-90's) Vespa and Lambretta. Ya kinda look goofy on them but there is no denying that they're fun.

Mmm.. Quadrophenia.

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Yes, they are fun. Kind of like the heavy girl you took out on the sly in college; fun, but you don't want your friends to catch you on one.

I have the following guidlines for scooters: They are cool if: you are on vacation in Italy, Greece or a tropical Island. You can live in a major city (NOT SUBURBS) and look pretty hip with one, and they are so easy to park in the city.
    Other than that, American males should stick with Enduros and old low-CC bikes they have turned to cafe racers. A big man on a little scooter in most US settings is like a "Fat guy in a little coat".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a 150cc Roketa much like that, and yes, license plates, motorcycle endorsement, the whole thing. I haven't been able to ride it for a couple of years due to sciatic issues, but I can walk now and hope to get it back online in a few weeks. I'm about 5 minutes from work, so I should be able to do that with a few gallons a year during decent weather. I have an old Kawasaki 100 that's street legal waiting to be restored, as well.

powerstrokin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't particularly care what people think when they see me on it. I actually had some girls at my apartment come down and chat for a bit yesterday evening after they saw me ride in on that beast. Yeah, like I said...it's a chick magnet. No but really...people came...and they were girls.

Had some people laugh at the stop light, but I don't really care. I just looked down at the Beretta on my left side and back at them...they shut up. ;)

I have to replace the ignition switch on this beater tomorrow because it's made of some pot metal crap that broke apart and jammed the tumblers, but Auto Zone has some switches for a few bucks. Easy fix. Got some of those Platinum Burners driving lights from Walmart to put on because the stock headlight really sucks.

Even if I have to put a few bucks here and there into it... for making short trips around town here it's a LOT cheaper than driving my 7,700 pound smoky obnoxiously loud diesel. I do love my truck, though. :)

Plus... I got bored today and just cruised around to some local places I would not have otherwise gone to had I been in the big truck.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    also 49cc = motorized transport for a blind dude
    most of my visually impaired friends have them and im thinking about getting one soon as well.

You mean because they can't get a drivers license?
    My daughter is visually impaired and wanted to get one, I told her "NO WAY", she had enough problems, not being able to see. She didn't need other idiot drivers not seeing her also!
    Not an issue now, she had surgery that actually improved her vision enough to get a restricted license. (let me know if you would like info on the surgery)
    Sorry to thread jack!

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    49cc scooter = liquorcycle

Sounds interesting, care to elaborate?

It's the preferred method of transportation for DUI offenders. In most states you can ride a 49cc scooter on the streets with no license. Even if the reason you don't have a license is because you lost it because of too many DUI's.

Top Bottom