• ...and so much more!
  • trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    As child of the 1980's I remember;
    being sent to the corner store for smokes, they were about $1.25.
    Growing up in Wyoming I can remember when Mt. St. Helens in Washington erupted and threw ash clear over to our town and it covered everything.
    I remember pay phones...
    We couldn't afford a VCR when they first came out, but I have fond memories of my dad renting them with some movies and bringing home pizza on Friday nights... I remember video rental stores. (PLEASE BE KIND AND REWIND)
    I remember Shakeys Pizza.
    I remember when you could buy an sks for 59$ + tax in the early 90's... I wasnt quite 18 yet though.
    I remember when older guys were all into ham radios, hardly ever see that now.
    Seat belts weren't an issue then, we could ride in the back of a pickup truck no problem.

Last edited:

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Going to the drug store to test the tubes from the TV on their TV tube tester to see which one was bad, rummaging thru the inventory to find a new one, then being shocked to have to pay more than $5 for it.

I still have a tube tester for my antique phonographs and radios. I wish the tubes were just five bucks.....:(

vvet762

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Picking up the phone and having the operator say "Number please"
    I remember picking up the phone and listen for a conversation in progress. If there was, I would have to try again later.
    Taking the bus to the Optometrist office to get my first pair of glasses and going across the street to a restaurant for a coke in Connersville, IN. I was in the second grade.
    Going into a hardware store when I was 12 and buying a .22 lever action rifle.
    Dimmers on the car floor.
    Three on the tree.
    Having to pump my own gas in Colorado and paying .75 per gallon.
    Our first color TV and watching Star Trek.
    Every C ration box I ever ate out of had a P38. I still have a few of them.
    Yes, the Tee Pee on 38th street.
    TV test signals on the screen at midnight just before signoff.
    Yep, I'm an old guy.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Watching the 10:00pm news on a Chicago tv station. Most of the time it was Fehey Flynn and I forgot the channel he was on. Anyway, the entire 10pm news lasted 15 minutes!

GLOCKBOY

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    Watching the 10:00pm news on a Chicago tv station. Most of the time it was Fehey Flynn and I forgot the channel he was on. Anyway, the entire 10pm news lasted 15 minutes!

Channel 7. With Joel Dailey. John Coleman was the weather man.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember rambling around eastern Delaware County in the early '70s, hunting and fishing, and there were wild quail all over the place, but no deer sign at all until maybe '75. I remember the one early morning, checking traps before school, walking with my pack down a dirt road to the creek, rounding a bend and seeing a buck in the semi-darkness. It was the first deer I'd seen around home.

I also remember when there were no Canada Geese around where I lived. There was always a flock of Greylag (barnyard) geese at Prairie Creek reservoir and one day, in about 1987, I was there with my little boy and we saw one Canada Goose in with all the others. The next season there were a few more, and the next season a few more....

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I remember rambling around eastern Delaware County in the early '70s, hunting and fishing, and there were wild quail all over the place, but no deer sign at all until maybe '75. I remember the one early morning, checking traps before school, walking with my pack down a dirt road to the creek, rounding a bend and seeing a buck in the semi-darkness. It was the first deer I'd seen around home.

I also remember when there were no Canada Geese around where I lived. There was always a flock of Greylag (barnyard) geese at Prairie Creek reservoir and one day, in about 1987, I was there with my little boy and we saw one Canada Goose in with all the others. The next season there were a few more, and the next season a few more....

Good point. I remember when someone saying they'd seen a deer was much akin to someone saying they'd seen Bigfoot.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Shoot all I get to remember are mass cultural anxiety, the failing of the family structure, breakdown of our traditional social ties in an increasingly anti-social social media obsessed world, and a collapse into decadence all wrapped up into permanent national traumatization post-9/11.

Wow, you are a ray of sunshine. :):

Here ya go. Customized for INGO:

xdfo1u.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ref: Dimmer switches on the floor

I had a '71 Scout that had some teensy-weensy rust issues. Barely noticeable, really. I went to dim the lights for oncoming traffic...and pushed the dimmer switch through the floor board.

The next morning, I went to the local scrap yard and bought an old "one way" sign. Along with some screen and some bondo...instant new floorboard.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Ref: Dimmer switches on the floor

I had a '71 Scout that had some teensy-weensy rust issues. Barely noticeable, really. I went to dim the lights for oncoming traffic...and pushed the dimmer switch through the floor board.

The next morning, I went to the local scrap yard and bought an old "one way" sign. Along with some screen and some bondo...instant new floorboard.

My wife still tells people about the first time she rode in my car in high school, I had to tell her not to put too much weight in one spot on the floor.

Actually that same car had an after-market (I guessed) windshield washer that was a rubber pump fixed to the floor above the dimmer switch. One rubber hose sucked fluid from the reservoir and into the pump, and another hose sent fluid to the metal lines below the windshield when you pushed on the pump.

Top Bottom