• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Mattel shootin shells for the fanner 50. Plastic bullets that would actually separate from the cartridge. Put a greenie stickum cap on the cartridge and you were gtg.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I can remember.........when all of this was just farmland.

My wife started this one time--"I remember when this was all fields...." then I added in -- ".......and the wooly mammoth roamed the earth". The kids and I thought it was funny as all get out. My wife did not.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Going to the drug store to test the tubes from the TV on their TV tube tester to see which one was bad, rummaging thru the inventory to find a new one, then being shocked to have to pay more than $5 for it.

I had a job at Hooks Drugs when I was in high school, and it was my job to run the tube-testing machine. Some guy would bring in a paper bag with all the tubes from his TV and we'd plug them in the tester and figure out which one(s) was(were) bad. Then he'd buy a new one and go home happy. On some occasions, he'd be back a short time later in a slightly less happy mood with the bag and the tubes because the new tube didn't fix the TV, and we'd go through them all again and, hopefully, find the bad one.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    I remember our parent's car that had vacuum powered windshield wipers. Wipers would stop when you sped up to pass someone. That was not what I consider an advancement in automobile safety.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Having to lug around one of these to every family holiday/birthday/anniversary get together. When the battery went dead, you were stuck to a chair no more than 5 feet from an outlet.
    107-VKR6810Side.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    When wood warmed you several times a year. When you cut it. When you split it. When you hauled it. When you burned it. I remember the first time I saw a hydraulic log splitter. Holy crap! You can sit on your backside and split wood?

Throwing hay for $4/hr. Cutting corn for a share of the corn. Ol' Buzzard (no idea his real name) lost his hand to some farm implement or other and wouldn't buy new equipment. He'd drive a tractor with a bang-board wagon and you'd cut and throw walking down the rows.

Using a gas pump to pull creek water into 55g drums at the corner of the house, and then an electric pump to pull water into the house. The toilet flushed with a bucket. When my grandma was filling the washing machine and the water in a barrel was below the hose she'd holler for me to go out and change the water barrel hose over.

Repairing the driveway meant an order of rock and a lot of shoveling.

When the county used to oil the road to keep dust down.

When the phone company ran lines by the house, but you had to rent the physical phone from the phone company.

When changing channels on TV might require you to go outside and spin the antennae while someone yelled "better...better...worse" from inside.

When visitors was a big deal.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    When wood warmed you several times a year. When you cut it. When you split it. When you hauled it. When you burned it. I remember the first time I saw a hydraulic log splitter. Holy crap! You can sit on your backside and split wood?

Throwing hay for $4/hr. Cutting corn for a share of the corn. Ol' Buzzard (no idea his real name) lost his hand to some farm implement or other and wouldn't buy new equipment. He'd drive a tractor with a bang-board wagon and you'd cut and throw walking down the rows.

Using a gas pump to pull creek water into 55g drums at the corner of the house, and then an electric pump to pull water into the house. The toilet flushed with a bucket. When my grandma was filling the washing machine and the water in a barrel was below the hose she'd holler for me to go out and change the water barrel hose over.

Repairing the driveway meant an order of rock and a lot of shoveling.

When the county used to oil the road to keep dust down.

When the phone company ran lines by the house, but you had to rent the physical phone from the phone company.

When changing channels on TV might require you to go outside and spin the antennae while someone yelled "better...better...worse" from inside.

When visitors was a big deal.

Those of us with gravel driveways still do this...of course the shoveling part is done with a tractor now. :D

The father of my best friend in high school can remember when they brought electricity out to their farm, when he was a kid.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Going to my great grandmas house.She did not have electricity,or plumbing.The well was on the back porch.It was fun to drop the bucket down the well pipe,get it full,and pull it up the pipe.She kept a pale,onthe kitchen counter,and everyone drank from the same ladle.Her kitchen stove burnt kindlin. The outhouse was down a path,and she said to not mess with that old black snake which hung around there.Her neighbor drove a wagon pulled by a old white mule.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Going to my great grandmas house.She did not have electricity,or plumbing.The well was on the back porch.It was fun to drop the bucket down the well pipe,get it full,and pull it up the pipe.She kept a pale,onthe kitchen counter,and everyone drank from the same ladle.Her kitchen stove burnt kindlin. The outhouse was down a path,and she said to not mess with that old black snake which hung around there.Her neighbor drove a wagon pulled by a old white mule.

This reminds me...

We had relatives that lived in North Carolina. Their neighbors had an old, ante-bellem (sp?) farm/plantation that they would take us to for picnics and stuff. I remember it had an outhouse and still had, what they told me, the old slaves quarters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burnside_Plantation_House

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Does anyone remember the Teepee restaurants? My grandparents met at the one on 38th shortly after WWII. I haven't thought of that place in years. Wow I am really starting to get old.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I remember, my parents never locked the front door of our house unless we were going out of town. They also left the keys in the ignition of the cars in the driveway too.
    Remember many times after church service hearing my Mom tell friends to just let themselves in while dropped by the local grocery store for lunch.

Top Bottom