I keep having to snake the kitchen drain?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My kitchen sink is backed up again!

History: house built in the 70's, has a garbage disposal, had to snake it with a hand snake 2 times in the last 6 months but it's clogged again. When I unclogged it in the past the clog was fairly distant from the sink. We stopped using the garbage disposal since the last time and it still clogged up.
    I've been in my crawl space many times and the drain lines do not have a significant elevation drop so slow flow drainage (I anticipate) has allowed thick biomass to narrow the lines. Does snaking even remove this or does it just punch a hole in the dam?
    1) is my non-pro hand crank snake only perforating a small hole in the clog allowing it to reclog?
    2) Would a better snake do a better job or is there a magic plumber touch I don't have?
    3) Do I need to get in the crawl space and start taking things apart (please say no)?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    1. probably
    2. Maybe
    3. possibly?

Do you have a pressure washer? A cutout access to your main drain? Then I would highly recommend this.....been in your shoes...

Tool Daily Sewer Jetter Kit for Pressure Washer, 100 FT Hose, 1/4 Inch NPT, Corner, Rotating and Button Nose Sewer Jetting Nozzle, 4400 PSI

search that on amazon. I can't get a link to work.

thats the one I ordered but i am in the country and have a long drainage system.

You could get a shorter one.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    Boiling water will help melt grease out of the drains. Pour a few gallons of boiling water with some dish soap when you are snaking the drain.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    There is a product designed to eat much of the biomass causing your trouble. Cannot think of the name but I hear Denny Smith recommend it almost weekly on the Saturday morning show with Pat Sullivan. Sullivan's hardware would have it, I'm sure. Once you've cleared it this stuff reportedly keeps it cleared up. I'll see if I can google up a link.
    Amazon product ASIN B001N09KN4

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There is a product designed to eat much of the biomass causing your trouble. Cannot think of the name but I hear Denny Smith recommend it almost weekly on the Saturday morning show with Pat Sullivan. Sullivan's hardware would have it, I'm sure. Once you've cleared it this stuff reportedly keeps it cleared up. I'll see if I can google up a link.
    Amazon product ASIN B001N09KN4
    This is what I was going to recommend (after a good cleaning) too. :yesway:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    i have that problem mostly grease build up. once a year i replace a section of the pipe [there cheep], it has a dip in it going under a main beam [probably 1.5 inches with a 2 inch pipe]. ive tryed to unclog it but it does not stay. i used 2 rubber couplers with hose clamps. its a easy job other tan the water.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    1. probably
    2. Maybe
    3. possibly?

Do you have a pressure washer? A cutout access to your main drain? Then I would highly recommend this.....been in your shoes...

Tool Daily Sewer Jetter Kit for Pressure Washer, 100 FT Hose, 1/4 Inch NPT, Corner, Rotating and Button Nose Sewer Jetting Nozzle, 4400 PSI

search that on amazon. I can't get a link to work.

thats the one I ordered but i am in the country and have a long drainage system.

You could get a shorter one.
    This link should work for a kit similar to what foszoe proposed.

Sewer Jetter Kit

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Having worked construction and remodeling in my youth, I have seen some incredibly clogged drain pipes. 1.5 inch and 2 inch pipes so clogged with sludge that they're restricted down to .5 inch diameter or less. The main symptom is slow running drains, and really, you can't pour enough drain cleaner down them to clean them. Cut them out and replace them.

The main problems I saw were with fat/grease/oil/butter, and garbage disposals. Just because your grease is liquid when you pour it down the drain, doesn't mean it's going to stay that way all the way out of your plumbing. Chances are, it's going to cool off and settle in your plumbing long before it ever leaves your house. The more it accumulates and restricts your drain flow, the more that accumulates with it.

I'm afraid to even start talking about garbage disposals, because they **** me off. :):

If you have one, understand how, why and when to use it! It is not a substitute for the garbage can that is probably two steps from it! Would you pour sand down your kitchen sink drain? No? then why are you putting egg shells in your garbage disposal? You are basically manufacturing sand and sending it down your drain. Use your trash can FIRST, then rinse your plate of the small scraps of onion or tomato or potato or a random crouton or whatever. Don't try to shove half a cheeseburger down there! (I'm looking at YOU, daughter number three). :):

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    One important question: is the pipe made of cast metal by chance. If so the pipe may be growing shut due to rust. Just a thought.
    The more likely situation is that they're pouring stuff down the drain that should never be poured down the drain. Leftover grease gets scraped into the trashcan, not washed into the drain or garbage disposal. His drains are clogged because he's clogging them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another issue that I have, is users not letting the water run after turning off the disposal.

I'm constantly having to plunge my trap because my family likes to:
    Put too much stuff down too quick (leftovers)
    Not run the water for a few seconds after finishing sending the junk.

They are famous for pouring tons down all at once, and then as soon as the disposal sounds empty turning off the water. That leaves junk in the trap. 2 hours later they run water again and voila', its clogged.

on a related note, these are cheap and handy.

iu

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Another issue that I have, is users not letting the water run after turning off the disposal.

I'm constantly having to plunge my trap because my family likes to:
    Put too much stuff down too quick (leftovers)
    Not run the water for a few seconds after finishing sending the junk.

They are famous for pouring tons down all at once, and then as soon as the disposal sounds empty turning off the water. That leaves junk in the trap. 2 hours later they run water again and voila', its clogged.

on a related note, these are cheap and handy.

iu
    Our house was built in the mid 50's and not set up for a disposal but the spouse had to have one. Thank the powers the drain line is only about 6 feet to the drain stand pipe.
    After years and years of training she now follows the process laid out by Sigblaster and repeated by me every time I had to get into the wall.
    Run the disposal only for light duty stuff. She actually bought a stainless trap screen for the disposal side drain (double sink)
    Let the disposal run clear and then put the hot water to it for at least 30 more seconds. On occasion I run it with a shot of dish soap and "HOT" water. Its been running clear for a long time now.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    My wife dumped a container of metamucil down our kitchen sink, i am still cutting out sections of pipe because of clogs!!!!!!! Yes and she is also guilty of running bunches down the disposer and not enough water to push it out to the main line too!!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My wife dumped a container of metamucil down our kitchen sink, i am still cutting out sections of pipe because of clogs!!!!!!! Yes and she is also guilty of running bunches down the disposer and not enough water to push it out to the main line too!!!
    im guilty of that too, kinda. we had a container of psyllium husks that we wanted to get rid of. I figured "how fast can this stuff congeal? I'm sure I can send it before it gels. bwahahahhaahhahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahhahhahhha *gasps* hahahahahhahahhahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahaha *gasps* hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...

Yeah. No. the crosspipe was solid in seconds. Lucky for me it clogged before it could get down to the P trap. But it took me a while to auger out the crosspipe with various implements of destruction.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I used to experience this same problem in a house I used to own. I would snake the drain and the snake would be covered in black sludge. After years of snaking the drain, I tried using an enzyme drain cleaner. I would use it once a month. I would pour it down the drain (approx. 1 oz or so) and then let it stand over night. It did the trick. I never had to snake the drain again.

The enzymes would eat up all of the grease buildup and kept the drain clear. Using it once a month was a very small price to pay to prevent snaking the drain at least twice a year. I believe I used Zep Drain Defense. However, there are plenty of other enzyme drain cleaners.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Having worked construction and remodeling in my youth, I have seen some incredibly clogged drain pipes. 1.5 inch and 2 inch pipes so clogged with sludge that they're restricted down to .5 inch diameter or less. The main symptom is slow running drains, and really, you can't pour enough drain cleaner down them to clean them. Cut them out and replace them.

The main problems I saw were with fat/grease/oil/butter, and garbage disposals. Just because your grease is liquid when you pour it down the drain, doesn't mean it's going to stay that way all the way out of your plumbing. Chances are, it's going to cool off and settle in your plumbing long before it ever leaves your house. The more it accumulates and restricts your drain flow, the more that accumulates with it.

I'm afraid to even start talking about garbage disposals, because they **** me off. :):

If you have one, understand how, why and when to use it! It is not a substitute for the garbage can that is probably two steps from it! Would you pour sand down your kitchen sink drain? No? then why are you putting egg shells in your garbage disposal? You are basically manufacturing sand and sending it down your drain. Use your trash can FIRST, then rinse your plate of the small scraps of onion or tomato or potato or a random crouton or whatever. Don't try to shove half a cheeseburger down there! (I'm looking at YOU, daughter number three). :):

I had a friend and his wife as roommates for a time.
    And caught them putting grease down the drain.
    :xmad:
    Their excuse... we're washing it down with hot water.
    :xmad:
    I asked them how long they thought it would take all that mass of pipe to cool down that miniscule amount of water.
    Probably just long enough to get half way through the house.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    So does that pressure washer hose snake around corners like a hand snake will or will I have to remove some plumbing to utilize it on the straightaways?

Also, so my ego doesn't get in the way of honesty, I have to admit I/we have been guilty of most every crime against plumbing that was mentioned above.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The hose will actually pull itself through the pipe with water jets. It works great on 4 inch pipe. On smaller 2 inch, will have to work it back and forth some to make the turn. Will have to push and pull it some as it hits the pluggage and starts to working. I pull it back a foot or so then let go. It will push into the plug and go to work. Then about every 5-10 sec I pull it back a foot then let it go again.

do you have any access points under the house or outside?

Depending on how far down the plug is, if you come at it from the inside, (from under the kitchen sink for example) the pipe may not hold much water before spilling out. That's why I like to come at the plug from drainage side, from where the pipe that is plugged joins into the main drain.

What I would do is, if working from the inside

Snake it as before to put a hole through it and then run the power washer hose through there. That way the water has a path out and it will clean out the pipe pretty quick.

Top Bottom