I hope they restrict crossbows next hunting season.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Is anyone else not ok with crossbows being opened up to everyone for archery season? I understand how it was before with crossbows for people that could not physically use a regular bow. I think letting capable people use crossbows for the entire archery season is unfair to those that use a regular bow. In my opinion, a crossbow is for size purposes, is not unlike a short barrel rifle/shotgun. Wielding a regular bow takes more open air and more skill. If crossbows are going to be legal for everyone to use I hope that there is at least a different/shorter season for them. I'm sure some of you would say the same thing about my compound, but at least I still have to hold my draw until the proper shot is presented. By the way, I hunt from the ground fully visible to my prey.
    Flame away. :flamethrower:

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Why do you care if someone uses a crossbow? Are they in YOUR woods shooting YOUR deer?

Get over it already. At least more people are getting out and hunting.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    A good friend of mine only uses long bows, he thinks compound bows should be regulated. Same exact reasoning you stated....where do you draw the line?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I draw the line at assisted vs unassisted at the time of trigger pull. And I will not get over anything when I'm asked for an opinion. Relax folks...its just the internet.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    beating-a-dead-horse-1.gif

Noble Sniper

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Anderson, Indiana
    Does your compound use a trigger release? Does it have let-off? I shoot a recurve, with my fingers with no doo-dads etc............... crossbows are just another form of archery.......... and if folks hunt with them that means thats one more person who is not ANTI-HUNTING................

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I absolutely love it. While I don't and probably won't shoot a crossbow (medically pending of course) I thing it does nothing but good for the sport. While I don't shoot one I do own one. I think archery season is a great way to get kids hooked on deer hunting. I mean what's more fun? A late October pre rut hunt with mild weather? Or a late November gun hunt when all the deer are pressured and most of your good deer are nocturnal all while its 30 degrees colder than it was in October?

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I don't really care if cross bows are allowed. I don't think people with a crossbow mentality share that same mentality as a good number of shotgun hunters who turn opening day into WWIII.

If someone is going to drop the coin on a cross bow..and bolts, and broadheads they are probably serious about doing it safer than the guy who buys a used shotgun and some slugs and heads to the woods without practicing once. Again...this is not every gun hunter and I am a gun hunter too so not knocking gun hunting.

I view archery season as a period when I feel safer in the woods hunting and a period when I ahve a chance at hunting deer before ultimate pressure is placed on the animals.

Maybe I have more chance of getting shot by a cross bow if I rustle in the woods and surprise a hunter who is trigger happy.

I still think the group is a select group made up of more serious hunters...maybe I am wrong but safety is my only concern during arhcery season. Kill with whatever device that shoots an arrow be in longbow, compound or cross bow.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    I draw the line at assisted vs unassisted at the time of trigger pull. And I will not get over anything when I'm asked for an opinion. Relax folks...its just the internet.

so you shoot a longbow, recurve or selfbow?

I guess the assistance in attaining and maintaing full draw provided by cables and pulleys and high let off, assistance in a clean release via release aid, aiming assistance via sight pins and peep sight all dont count, eh?

get over yourself. Hunt with what makes YOU happy. Dont worry about your neighbors choice of weapon ;)

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Get over it! They are here, and not going away. This debate has been decided. People complaining now is like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube! Why so many people want to dictate what others do is beyond me.

Hunt legally and hunt how you like, I'll hunt legally and hunt how I like. What you do has NOTHING to do with me, and what I do has NOTHING to do with you.

BTW, I don't hunt with a crossbow.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    First, I do not hunt. That said, I don't understand why it makes a difference what the guy down the road uses to hunt. As previously stated, drawing a line somewhere is going to be a real challenge if we go down this path and in my reckoning ends at the point where that which isn't harming anyone else isn't any of anyone else's business. You may notice that the arguments are eerily similar to those used by people like the Brady bunch for restricting access to firearms, particularly ugly/'evil' guns.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I say people should mind there own business. Its amazing how P.O. people get when someone tries to infringe on the 2A but yet you want to restrict the rights of others.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Want to get rid of crossbows?
    Lets just call it dear season. "Hunt with what you want."
    Then all those pesky bow hunters will be out of our way altogether.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Why is everybody in such a "get over it" attitude? Since when is it not OK for somebody allowed to have an opinion?

I never said I wanted crossbows to go away nor did I say there was something wrong with them.

You folks are way too self righteous.

I just think a cross bow is closer to a firearm then true archery, in the aspects of hunting.

I most certainly didn't disrespect your mother, so chill out.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Why is everybody in such a "get over it" attitude? Since when is it not OK for somebody allowed to have an opinion?
    I never said I wanted crossbows to go away nor did I say there was something wrong with them.
    I just think a cross bow is closer to a firearm then true archery, in the aspects of hunting.

The entire premise of this thread is the idea of ADDING RESTRICTIONS to crossbows: Thread Title: I hope they RESTRICT crossbows next season . I tend to think the guys that beat their chest over "their" type of hunting being superior to the next guys are the "self righteous" ones.:dunno:

Of course everybody is allowed their own opinion! But, not all opinions are created equal. Coming to a forum and laying out your opinion (like the OP did)calling for the restriction of a type of hunting many here enjoy does in no way make you immune to backlash. I don't hunt with a crossbow, but think it is ridiculous to try to limit their use.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

I don't think its that deep.

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010

How am I being "self righteous?" YOU are the one who wants to restrict my use of a crossbow.

Top Bottom