• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    A person that isn't a member of this site who I have tried dealing with in the past crossed my mind. This person isn't the easiest to deal with but I know he is always moving things so I thought I was text him and see if he was interested in this: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns_rifles_and_shotguns/183060-wasr_ak_47_a.html

After texting for a while, and him asking some very specific questions, he told me that he couldn't do a straight trade. Mind you I hadn't even discussed with him what he would be offering. Out of curiosity I asked him how far apart we were. He responded with $100. This is when I asked him what he was offering.

A S&W M&P .40.

Yes. That is right. A gun that is selling brand new on budsgunshop.com for a whopping $20 more than the price my of my gun alone (not including everything else I have in my ad) he thought I should pay him.

Needless to say I told him I wasn't interested and brought up the fact of the small difference in guns alone. He never responded. I think I should probably just delete his number from my phone.

Now I am not claiming that my package is worth $1000. But damn, does he think I am an idiot?

Maybe I am wrong. What do YOU think? :dunno:

BBSparkle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I keep seeing a ton of wasrs up for sale. There were like 3 going for OVER $600, last week, LOL. You could probably list yours at 5 without any ammo and SELL it over on armslist!

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    You have to laugh at the prices some people attach to their items, but it's just business. A lot of guys have a nice collection because they buy low and sell high, upgrading their armory as they go.

When I see someone who is way out of range, on their price, I figure they are new, bought the gun from some "sharper" for an inflated price, and then figure they should recoup their investment. They will either do some research and drop the price or keep listing it for months. Either way, just business.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    You have to laugh at the prices some people attach to their items, but it's just business. A lot of guys have a nice collection because they buy low and sell high, upgrading their armory as they go.

When I see someone who is way out of range, on their price, I figure they are new, bought the gun from some "sharper" for an inflated price, and then figure they should recoup their investment. They will either do some research and drop the price or keep listing it for months. Either way, just business.

That is the bad thing. He has his own business cards and is well known in the local gun trade scene. He makes a living ripping people off.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Is there any chance he was including a bunch of accessories that he didn't tell you about? I've had an ad in the classified for a pistol, holster, several extra mags (one rather expensive extended mag), parts, and so forth for $X. I had SEVERAL people PM me that it was too much money for that pistol.:n00b: I replied that I agree if it were just the pistol but the price was for the package and wrote out my logic for the package to show how everything individually was priced out for less than what I could find it elsewhere. They couldn't get their brain around the idea that they were only considering the value of the pistol and I was pricing out the entire package.
    A $40 difference in price for a pistol can feel like the difference between average and a good deal. That is also about the cost of some of the magazines, so if it comes with additional mags it changes things.

Just a thought to consider.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Is there any chance he was including a bunch of accessories that he didn't tell you about? I've had an ad in the classified for a pistol, holster, several extra mags (one rather expensive extended mag), parts, and so forth for $X. I had SEVERAL people PM me that it was too much money for that pistol.:n00b: I replied that I agree if it were just the pistol but the price was for the package and wrote out my logic for the package to show how everything individually was priced out for less than what I could find it elsewhere. They couldn't get their brain around the idea that they were only considering the value of the pistol and I was pricing out the entire package.
    A $40 difference in price for a pistol can feel like the difference between average and a good deal. That is also about the cost of some of the magazines, so if it comes with additional mags it changes things.

Just a thought to consider.

Understandable. However, it was gun only. Well, whatever came in the original box. So gun, paperwork, box, magazine.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Well, did you send a counter offer? It's sort of insulting to both parties to ruin the trade offer by not responding, the other guy could be wanting to add more, you never know. If the trade offer isn't up to your "spec", then simply refuse and move on? :dunno:

I get tons of offers from folks wanting to make a few bucks on my guns. Sell a SAR-1 for $300 something, guys always offering $250 for it so they can flip it for $400 to some inexperienced or uneducated shooter. Honestly, alot of offers like that are from rural areas (noticing a trend here, just stating the facts) and honestly, alot of Franklin and similar area places. Seems to be no good gunshops there, so a cadre of individuals try to make a buck buying or trading low, selling/trading high.

With regards to the M&P, he could be going by old numbers in this case: I remember the days of the $550 M&P and threads asking why buy the Smith over a Glock for $100 less? Both guns are mass produced and have come back down (WASRs have gone up in cost during the panic, but demand waned, pricing coming down, Smiths are mass produced and had a price drop to encourage sales). The offer of $100 sounds like South Indy hilljackery... Go on Hoosier Topics, you'll find LOTS of that there.

Bad offer? Move on. I buy something I don't like, I sell it or trade it. I am not into it to make money. Sounds like the M&P man is in it for the loot and that sort of hurts the second hand market overall. :twocents:

DestructionDan

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    IN KY
    I love to see the 91/30 listed everywhere for $200+
    On sale every other week for $79 + tax

Maybe he was going to give you $100
    At the very least counter offer him. Thats part of the game.
    I do it all the time. People do it to me all the time.
    Now if he's stuck on you giving him $100 also delete and block his #.
    I have a lot of blocked #s and emails for people thinking their toys are worth $100s more used than new. And in the same line that my lets say $500 gun is used and is only worth $350. If I wanted to hear that I would go to the local pawn shop.

Chapparal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    B'town
    You will have lost little by deleting his number. Very little indeed. Gained much more time in your life and will live happier. Sometimes you have to write off contacts in order to remain solvent yourself. Spend your time on family and friends.

abrewer15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Elkhart, Indiana
    I let him know that that was not possible...he responded with he would be losing out if I didn't. I lol'd. And I can't stress enough that all he wanted to give me was just the gun. I told him that we would have to do something different and he said not gonna happen. I told him to have a good night and thanks anyway. Won't be in contact with him again but I thought I would share my story as I got a genuine kick out of the whole situation. lol.

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Same guy offered me a Tarurus PT92 SS for A mini 14 with 7 clips, flash hider, recoil damper, B-sqaure scope mount, and 200 round of ammo.

I thought he was taking about trading this PT92 and a snubby, but when I realized he was talking about trading only his PT92. I told him no thanks.

I don't mind if someone makes a little off me, but really?

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    Now I am not claiming that my package is worth $1000. But damn, does he think I am an idiot?

Maybe I am wrong. What do YOU think? :dunno:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think your package is worth? I've read your ad and I see a value of @$475. Maybe I am wrong. What do YOU think? :dunno:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    My favorite was the guy a couple of months ago that offered to trade a custom Mosin Nagant for someones Socom II. The seller responded with, "Have you been taking your meds?" :laugh:

Top Bottom