I couldn't get my nuts off this morning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I once took a car in for a "free brake inspection" just so they could get the wheels loose for me. I already had all the lug nuts off but two of the wheels still wouldn't budge, even with a sledgehammer. I even drove around the block in a slalom pattern with the lugs loose and they were still stuck. The shop ended up using an air hammer from the back of the rims.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    NO IMPACT WRENCH UNLESS YOU'RE USING A TORQUE STICK!!!! YOU DO NOT NEED IMPACT WRENCHES TO PUT TIRES ON. If you go to a quality shop, they MAY use an impact to remove the lugs but they won't use an impact to put them on. Shops that deal with high end cars try to avoid doing ignorant stuff like over torquing.

That said, if you can't break them loose with a tire iron, x wrench, or whatever you'd normally use (not air powered)...use a breaker bar. I've seen all lugs snap while someone was driving because a moron ran the nuts on with an impact until it was as tight as possible. I'd prefer to avoid that.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    NO IMPACT WRENCH UNLESS YOU'RE USING A TORQUE STICK!!!! YOU DO NOT NEED IMPACT WRENCHES TO PUT TIRES ON. If you go to a quality shop, they MAY use an impact to remove the lugs but they won't use an impact to put them on. Shops that deal with high end cars try to avoid doing ignorant stuff like over torquing.

That said, if you can't break them loose with a tire iron, x wrench, or whatever you'd normally use (not air powered)...use a breaker bar. I've seen all lugs snap while someone was driving because a moron ran the nuts on with an impact until it was as tight as possible. I'd prefer to avoid that.
    QFT! I had some numbnut put mine on so tightly once that I couldn't get them loose with an impact gun!

Rocket57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    In denial
    I always loosen and retorque my wheels as soon as I get home from the shop.
    The Discount Tire in Plainfield always uses a torque wrench and puts the torque on your receipt. I check it anyways, and put copper anti-seize on the studs.

Top Bottom