I couldn't get my nuts off this morning.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    Just wanted to check the brake pads on my truck but couldn't get the nuts off my front wheel, so I gave up from exhaustion. I asked the tire guy why they put them on so tight, & he said they didn't want a tire to come off. So if I have a flat, I will have to call a tire repair shop.

cak387

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Kokomo
    Whoever put those on did it incorrectly, and I would be hesitant to take my car/truck there. They should be torqued to specifications, not just put on "tight".

^sureshot beat me to it.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have in fact twisted lugs entirely off with just an X wrench and being musclebound. Overtorqued is overtorqued. There's no call for you to be unable to remove one with your regular wrench. Your wheel will not fall off.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Two Words: Impact Wrench. They use them to put them on, and you usually end up needing on to take them off. Just another reason to go tool shopping...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I hate to be a pain in the neck, but I have had a set of steel wheels rouined where they actaully stretched the taper out of the lug holes and the wheels would not stay tight because the nuts bottomed out before the taper engaged. The shop said that was normal. (it is when trained monkeys damage them) The last set of tires I had put on (aluminum wheels), I supplied the tire store manager with the proper torque specs, a quality deep well socket and a Snap on torque wrench. I told him that is he was unable to promise that they would be within spec, I would just buy tires elseware. A big chain shop told me they knew what they were doing and they didn't take orders from customers. No worries, I pulled out of the lot and went to a smaller shop. I used the estimate from the big chain and talked to a smaller shop. He had to order the tires, and the next week I had 4 brand new top of the line tires, that the manager torqued personally while I watched. It is really sad that such a simple proceedure cannot be reliably attained.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Jeez, the specs are the specs. You shouldn't have to provide them the tools and ask them specially to do the job right. They should know what they're doing and how to do it right. Every time I get to wondering if I should be doing all this myself, I just read the horror stories, and keep doing it.

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Its a simple attachment to add to the impact wrench. Most shops have several. Seems as your tire tech didn't want to take the time out to do it right. Depending on your car, it can snap the threaded studs off.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Over-torqued is as bad as under. My mother lost a front wheel/tire on the interstate because some tire monkey ran the lugs on with an impact. Pulled them right through the stamped steel wheel.

I don't use shops that don't use torque sticks or wrenches.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Over-torqued is as bad as under. My mother lost a front wheel/tire on the interstate because some tire monkey ran the lugs on with an impact.
    I don't use shops that don't use torque sticks or wrenches.

:lol2: Had some studs twist off because of some dumb lugnut overtightened them. Suggest you find another place because them tire jockeys are absolutely:alcoholic: Sometime in the future you could be :ugh: on the side of the road doing this:horse:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I had an experience like that myself several weekends ago. I had to replace both front sway bar links (they were broke, swaying in the wind). I had to use a 1/2 breaker bar with an impact socket. I am not a small guy, and buy the time I busted them loose I ended up having to take a small break (bottle of beer) before I could get to the actual repair.

Top Bottom