• ...and so much more!
  • Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Meh. Just trying to run my G23 at $13.99 a box instead of $19.99 a box. I just want to shoot cheaper 9mm without buying a new gun even though all things being equal, a G23+9mm barrel= G19 by every measurable metric.

Just to try the sport to see if you like it you want to buy ($$$) a barrel instead of spending a few bucks extra for ammo?
    ​Shoot a few matches and decide what you want to do and what division you want to shoot

I understand the intent of the rules; they want to make sure somebody doesnt take some monster (heavy) gun, drop in a smaller barrel and mop the floor with competitors due to an advantage. In this case not so much as in this specific configuration there is no advantage. (if you can point one out, I'd love to hear it)

If there is no advantage why do you want to do it? If you show up at a match with a 23 rebarreled to a 19 then you are shooting cheaper ammo and have LESS RECOIL to deal with than a shooter that shows up and shoots his 23 like it came from the factory.

I also dont want to screw myself dropping into limited and get my clock cleaned by the guys running custom high dollar guns.

Hate to tell you this but the talent pool in Production is probably just as deep as it is in Limited. If you have never shot any of the handgun games before you will "get your clock cleaned" quite a few times. Once you try it the more effort you put in it the better you will get as with anything in life.
    Even in production class you will find shooters running stock Glocks and Rugers, etc. But several will be running CZ and other highly modified guns costing $2000 and up. Keep in mind that it is the Indian and not the arrow.

So yeah... I have excuses... my excuse is I have a limited budget due to family commitments.

This sport is like any other you have some people that have what seems like unlimited funds and those that just have enough to shoot the match. Both have the same amount of FUN.

If you look at the results for Limited from most any match several shooters at the bottom will be new(or newer) shooters who don't have enough mags or just want to shoot the gun with the mags loaded all the way up. They are still having fun while they get more equipment or get more comfortable with the rules.
    Don't worry about where you finish just have fun and be safe.
    I wouldn't go trading guns until you shoot a couple of matches. You trade the 23 for a 19 and then decide you like the sport you might want a full size 17 instead of the 19. Most Production shooters use the full size guns but some use the smaller guns quite well. I have seen Ryan (rvb) run a 19 at the State match a couple of years ago and he certainly wasn't at any disadvantage, quite impressive actually:yesway:.
    Like Ryan said just shoot what you have for a couple of matches and see where you want to go with the sport.

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    There is a reason there is a classification rating in place for each class. There are Grand Masters in each class, and even seasoned shooters will get their "clocks cleaned" by them. By classifying, you are (ideally) shooting against shooters of like skill. One of the great things about this sport is that you actually get to shoot alongside "professionals", if you will. How often do you get to go play a round of golf with Tiger, Phil, or Rory? In all honesty, chances are you will never be a Grand Master. But that doesn't mean they can't mentor you and help you grow as a shooter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This sport is like any other you have some people that have what seems like unlimited funds and those that just have enough to shoot the match. Both have the same amount of FUN.

If you look at the results for Limited from most any match several shooters at the bottom will be new(or newer) shooters who don't have enough mags or just want to shoot the gun with the mags loaded all the way up. They are still having fun while they get more equipment or get more comfortable with the rules.
    Don't worry about where you finish just have fun and be safe.
    I wouldn't go trading guns until you shoot a couple of matches. You trade the 23 for a 19 and then decide you like the sport you might want a full size 17 instead of the 19. Most Production shooters use the full size guns but some use the smaller guns quite well. I have seen Ryan (rvb) run a 19 at the State match a couple of years ago and he certainly wasn't at any disadvantage, quite impressive actually:yesway:.
    Like Ryan said just shoot what you have for a couple of matches and see where you want to go with the sport.

I prefer to compete with what I carry. Plus, I barely have the fun money to afford the ammo, entry fees and gas, so a dedicated gun for competition wont happen anytime soon. At least not until the kids are older and the wife goes back to work (if she even ever does). Plus as busy as I am with family stuff, I dont have time to shoot alot. Seems like every time I see a IDPA or USPSA match scheduled, there is something more pressing on the home front like a birthday party, etc. :dunno:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I barely have the fun money to afford the ammo, entry fees and gas, so a dedicated gun for competition wont happen anytime soon. At least not until the kids are older and the wife goes back to work (if she even ever does). Plus as busy as I am with family stuff, I dont have time to shoot alot. Seems like every time I see a IDPA or USPSA match scheduled, there is something more pressing on the home front like a birthday party, etc. :dunno:

A common story. Lots of ways to make it dirt cheap. Reload ammo. Many clubs offer reduced or free entry fees for helping setup stages. Carpool with other shooters. Officiate at larger matches. I shoot much less now that I have a couple kids and the wife stays home, but I still get to a handful of matches and I really don't spend much $.

-rvb

Top Bottom