• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    For me it's the startle factor that makes me dislike snakes and mice so much. I really don't mind snakes as long as they don't starle me. I'd rather move them away from the house, which I usually do, but I don't usually use my hands. As Beau called me the other day... I'm a big Sissy.:wavey:
    I agree. I've found a few slithery friends in the yard. I've been carrying my garden hoe with me. :D I don't have the bravado you have to grab one my the tail. reps to you.

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Had a 4ft water moc crawl out on a tree limb when in Arkansas. Mr Kimber, 45Acp, spoke twice, snakey dead. Used a shovel and cut off it's head, buried in dirt, 6-10in down and offered the rest to my brother in law to grill. He refused. Threw into the brown river beside the cabin.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Had a 4ft water moc crawl out on a tree limb when in Arkansas. Mr Kimber, 45Acp, spoke twice, snakey dead. Used a shovel and cut off it's head, buried in dirt, 6-10in down and offered the rest to my brother in law to grill. He refused. Threw into the brown river beside the cabin.
    It's not a vampire. LOL

I was told(R.I.P. Steve Irwin) that if you pick a snake up by the very end of its tail, its muscles aren't strong enough to snap its head back up to bite your hand.
    That depends on the species.
    I will catch black snakes by the tail all day long.
    If they go for your leg you can just kind of steer them away by pulling on their tail.
    The problem with black snakes is that they smell very similar to a skunk. Blech!
    I think they catch cobras by the tail because they can't turn and bite you.
    NOTE: I have no personal experience with catching cobras. I saw it on TV. :)

Now copperheads, rattlesnakes, and garter snakes, they can definitely reach around and grab you.
    Venomous critters get dispatched.
    The others don't.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    It's not a vampire. LOL

Is So.
    I installed satellite for Dish when I lived in South Carolina. I had to deal with cotton mouths on a regular basis. Those things are the devil. They can be very aggressive. I think his reaction was totally appropriate.

Homes in SC are built off the ground. Some of them have just enough room to belly crawl under. At the time I was convinced that I was going to die under a house from multiple cotton mouth bites.

The funny part was a lot of people didn't realize they had snakes living under their houses. One lady flipped when I pulled out a 6.5 foot long fresh skin from under her house.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    It's not a vampire. LOL

That depends on the species.
    I will catch black snakes by the tail all day long.
    If they go for your leg you can just kind of steer them away by pulling on their tail.
    The problem with black snakes is that they smell very similar to a skunk. Blech!
    I think they catch cobras by the tail because they can't turn and bite you.
    NOTE: I have no personal experience with catching cobras. I saw it on TV. :)

Now copperheads, rattlesnakes, and garter snakes, they can definitely reach around and grab you.
    Venomous critters get dispatched.
    The others don't.

Sister is a snake expert. Interesting thing about Cobras. They only strike down from a raised position.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Man this brings back nasty memories.
    Few years back I saw what looked like a decent size snake near my house. I waited for it at saw it again as it was partly buried between my basement wall and the earth. I think they expose parts of their skin to the sun to help with digestion. Didn't know during that time....So I grab a pair of leather gloves (cause I hate snakes) and my knife and stabbed it near it's whole so it couldn't go deeper while I got a good grip on it and pulled it out of the hole. Damn thing was about 3ft long and had its mouth wide open clamped down on a decent size frog he had killed. That was nasty.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    lucky u

Garter snakes defenses include pooping on you and it is foul smelling stuff. Their teeth aren't very long but will cut you as you pull away. Both pieces of info were garnered from experience. I usually run 'em off with a stick or shovel these days.

And you should be careful with anything 18" long, pink and fleshy. Depending on girth of course.:rolleyes:

sn-garter01.jpg

This is very similar to what it looked like. It had a red tongue, but the end was black. I think it was an Eastern Garter snake, but I'm not for sure. I didn't ask it for any identification :).

Thanks for the correction between poisonous and venomous. I knew the difference, but completely spaced it out until you said something.

The opportunity that I really missed, if I had wanted to kill the snake, which obviously I didn't because I was Brave (Dumb) enough to pick it up, was that I had my Glock on me, but was breaking in a new holster and had unloaded the gun, so I wouldn't have any AD/ND. :ugh:

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I learned today that one of the guys in my class is terrified of spiders..............Now to make good use of this information.

Top Bottom