• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Not really broke, I just got it today and ran a couple hundred rounds through it on the way home from the gun shop. While shooting, I thought I’d like the mag release on the right side. It was a simple matter to pop off the slide and pull the catch spring and then flip the mag catch. The real problem is getting that spring back in! I watched a couple videos on YouTube that got me close and would probably work if I fight with it a while. I’m looking for an easier way or a tool I could make up to use if I change my mind and have to do it again in the future.
    Anyone have any hints or tool ideas?

Thanks, Matt

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I installed an extended mag release on my SFX and that spring is a pain in the Biden. This video will help if you watch it a few times. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I installed an extended mag release on my SFX and that spring is a pain in the Biden. This video will help if you watch it a few times. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

That is exactly what I’ve tried half dozen times. I’ve gotten to the point where I slide in the catch but the spring pops out when I try to slide it down into the catch.

After several tries, I backed away before my attitude got in the way!

Matt

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Whoever designed that needs punched in the face. Repeatedly. With a sledge hammer. Two ways to do it.
    1. Use needle nose pliers with a 90 degree bend. Cuss Repeatedly.
    2. Use straight needle nose pliers and drag it up from where the mag release is into the channel. Cuss Repeatedly.

Either way sucks.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That is exactly what I’ve tried half dozen times. I’ve gotten to the point where I slide in the catch but the spring pops out when I try to slide it down into the catch.

After several tries, I backed away before my attitude got in the way!

Matt
    I thought about it after the fact, but I wondered if inserting a mag might help keep the spring in the channel while you push it down. There was no way I was going to try again to see if my idea worked.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    The spring reverses as well as the release itself I think. Is that correct? I also used needle nose with a 45*.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I was successful at reversing the mag release this morning. I made a little wooden spring pusher/puller that worked fairly well. It took a few tries to get it to work but once I figured out the right tweaks, I was able to pop it in and out fairly easily.
    If I can get a picture to post, I’ll show my homemade spring tool.
    D33562F8-E87B-4755-AEA8-2B50410EE865.jpeg

Thanks guys!
    Matt

Top Bottom