• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    I am looking to get into shooting an AR, but I'm on a budget. I am looking nostly for one that I will use for plinking. I want spend under $700. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Find a different platform, or just breakdown and accept the fact that a $700 AR is a mythical creature.

Yes, there are AR's out there for less than $700. I've built a couple of them brand new.

The problem is, they only start at around $700. You spend $700 on the gun, then you need a couple more mags, then you need a sling, you know what, a quad-rail would be "tacticool"... and so it begins.

Nope. There is no such thing as a $700 AR. Been there, tried that, it just ain't possible.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Find a different platform, or just breakdown and accept the fact that a $700 AR is a mythical creature.

Yes, there are AR's out there for less than $700. I've built a couple of them brand new.

The problem is, they only start at around $700. You spend $700 on the gun, then you need a couple more mags, then you need a sling, you know what, a quad-rail would be "tacticool"... and so it begins.

Nope. There is no such thing as a $700 AR. Been there, tried that, it just ain't possible.

I understand what you are saying, however you have to start somehwere. All of the ad ons can some at a later time. I just need to know where to start. I know the S&W M&P 15 Sport is going for $689 new, can I do better?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    I completely disagree. I bought a new S&W M&P 15-sport at the last Indy 1500 for $675. I love the gun. Runs flawlessly. Highly recommend it. Just know what you're giving up to get in at that price point (in terms of no dust guard, forward assist, etc.).

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    get a complete polymer lower from joeboboutfitters.com for $100, then buy a cheap upper somewhere. I bet you can do it for around $600 total. I've held one of those plastic lowers. They work i suppose, but they sure feel cheap.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I bought a plumcrazy polymer lower for 125.00 out the door. It had a better trigger than alot of rack-grade AR's that I have shot in my time. I can not speak to it's longevity, as I have shot it very little.

Also, Palmetto State Armory usually has 16' uppers for around 500.00 Check out there website. Good luck!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    PSA stripped lower: $90 + $20 FFL
    PSA Classic (carbine) lower build kit: $90
    PSA complete upper: $330-360 -- let's call it $350
    Charging handle: $20
    MBUS rear sight: $55
    M16 BCG from LarueTactical: $140

Total: $745

Edit: Just updated with actual prices now having links to order the items. The $300 upper is sold out, but there are a number of uppers available within the range given. Everything except the BCG has free shipping from PSA with their current promo. The Larue BCG is actually $130, and $10 covered S&H for 2 BCGs earlier this week. Just remember to order the lower separately from the other components and follow their information on ordering firearms for the order to your FFL.

It may not be 100% spec, but it should be a darn good carbine to get started.

What am I missing to get him started?

Last edited:

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    I've definitely seen a few in the classifieds that fit this bill. If your patient you can put together a nice build with that budget.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I understand what you are saying, however you have to start somehwere. All of the ad ons can some at a later time. I just need to know where to start. I know the S&W M&P 15 Sport is going for $689 new, can I do better?

I completely disagree. I bought a new S&W M&P 15-sport at the last Indy 1500 for $675. I love the gun. Runs flawlessly. Highly recommend it. Just know what you're giving up to get in at that price point (in terms of no dust guard, forward assist, etc.).

I bought my Sport locally for $599 + tax :D

Of course I did buy a few things for it since, but you can definitely get into an AR for under $700.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you are patient in gathering components, you can build a solid AR for under $700 without some of the compromises of the Sport. For example, earlier today PSA had an assembled upper for $300 that would have allowed you to get under your mark with the components I listed earlier.

Also, while it may look daunting at first, building a lower took only an hour or so my first time, and that included watching a YouTube video 2-3 times to make certain I was getting it correct.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Just get a Palmetto state armory rifle kit for $529... the upper is assembled, you just have to put together the lower which takes a hammer and a nail and less than 1hr of work (for a beginner). Youtube has plenty of "how to" videos to put the lower together.

Its very simple....

You will also need to purchase a stripped lower as well. Shouldn't cost you more than $70 if you shop around.

Throw in shipping for both and a transfer fee on the lower and you will be right around $700

thats what I did. I've put several hundred rounds down range of all types of ammo including some steel stuff and not a single mis-step.

Runs like a champ..... and more accurate than I am.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I am looking to get into shooting an AR, but I'm on a budget. I am looking nostly for one that I will use for plinking. I want spend under $700. Does anyone have any thoughts?

How about a 22lr AR? Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. I know they aren't true AR's, but it's a starting point until more money comes along.

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    How about a 22lr AR? Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. I know they aren't true AR's, but it's a starting point until more money comes along.

I looked at a couple of these as I am a big fan of the 22lr, but the ones I seemed to like were over $500, a lot to spend on a 22.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    INGO member MarioMarietta had Doublestar complete kits for $510 shipped. I picked up a Doublestar stripped lower on Gunbroker for $100 shipped. Pick up a cheap set of sights and you will have a complete AR for $650.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I bought a delton sport for 709. It has the forward assist and dust cover, milspec lower and bolt carrier group. It just doesn't have a chrome lined barrel but that's not abig deal if you clean it after shooting.

Top Bottom