• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    muncie
    My dad recently got his fathers arisaka. I would like to get my self a arisaka. i would like to know more about them before i get one like how much they are how much i would have to pay for ammo any information would be help full. sorry if i am not being spasific enough i just dont know that much about them.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    there is a lot to know. on the subject of ammo, if you get one chambered in 7.7 JAP you can expect to pay $2 per round for factory ammo....when you can find it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    there is a lot to know. on the subject of ammo, if you get one chambered in 7.7 JAP you can expect to pay $2 per round for factory ammo....when you can find it.
    I'm seeing it listed on gundeals.com and ammoseek.com for $1.30/round, but yeah, if you figure in shipping it's probably up close to 2 bucks. I've thought about trying to get a buddy of mine to sell me his dad's (mum and dust cover intact), but the ammo cost is holding me back... It'd be a neat rifle to have from a collecting standpoint, but I like to shoot my old guns and those darned dollar signs floating up in front of my eyes every time I pull the trigger interfere with my sight picture :):. I think his is a type 99.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I got a sporterized Type 99 a few years back for $85 with 3 boxes of ammo. Prices will vary depending on how complete they are. I think the typical price is around $400 for a decent one with a ground Mum. Expect to pay more for one with an intact Mum, not a "last Ditch" rifle, with a complete stock and accessories (anti aircraft sights, dust cover, muzzle cover, etc). 7.7mm Jap is hard to find but I think Norma still makes it. I still have 2 boxes lol. mine is oddly accurate and I really like the sights. Its a good feeling rifle but cant find ammo often enough to shoot it. If you reload Ive heard you can use 30-06 cases.

Edit: Hornady now makes it too at competitive prices of other full power rifle rounds :D

Last edited:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I had one for years that I never did shoot. The 6.5mm ammo was expensive then and a quick check of Gunbroker has it at about $4 per round.

That's 50 posts!! I'm off to the classifieds, I can probably get it for 10 cents a shot now!

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    I have one my grandfather brought back from Japan. Mum is ground off. I would love to shoot it someday. There are a lot of resources out there just use your Google Fu. My Grandfather never shot it. It still had the cosmoline in it. I have it cleaned up and ready to go. The Bayonet is the most awesome part of the weapon. I guess my Grandmother chased a buglar out of the house with the Bayonet. I have a type 99. It is something to treasure.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had one for years that I never did shoot. The 6.5mm ammo was expensive then and a quick check of Gunbroker has it at about $4 per round.

That's 50 posts!! I'm off to the classifieds, I can probably get it for 10 cents a shot now!

There, fixed it for ya... (purple = sarcasm) :):

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have one my grandfather brought back from Japan. Mum is ground off. I would love to shoot it someday. There are a lot of resources out there just use your Google Fu. My Grandfather never shot it. It still had the cosmoline in it. I have it cleaned up and ready to go. The Bayonet is the most awesome part of the weapon. I guess my Grandmother chased a buglar out of the house with the Bayonet. I have a type 99. It is something to treasure.
    I remember my friend's dad's rifle from my childhood. It hung on a rack in their basement for years. I remember how HUGE it seemed back then (when I was 7 or 8).

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Not to hijack the thread, but what's with the ground off mums? I took the one I had into Albro's guns to get some info on it and I think the guy told me, but I don't remember. The guy did show me how to put the dust cover on it. I didn't even know what it was. Times were tough before the Internet!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    The mum was a sacred symbol of the emperor, and if possible was to be defaced before the weapon was given up. What the Japanese soldiers would do, if they knew they were going to die (banzai charge, die in place, etc) is use a file or chisel or some other sharp tool to deface the mum to save face for the emperor. Also large scale removal occurred at the end of the war with Japan's surrender.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    The mum was a sacred symbol of the emperor, and if possible was to be defaced before the weapon was given up. What the Japanese soldiers would do, if they knew they were going to die (banzai charge, die in place, etc) is use a file or chisel or some other sharp tool to deface the mum to save face for the emperor. Also large scale removal occurred at the end of the war with Japan's surrender.

Thanks for the info. The great thing about INGO, someone always has the answer.
    :ingo:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I HAD one and it it shot great. The downfall was finding ammo then finding ammo that didnt break the bank. I would consider an Yugo 8mm or even a Mosin before i went out and got a arisaka. Too each his own though! :):

yoger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2012
    muncie
    i plan on getting a mosin nagant first i have done research on it. i was just wanting to know more about the arisaka and its ammo. thank you every one you have been help full.:ingo:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    i plan on getting a mosin nagant first i have done research on it. i was just wanting to know more about the arisaka and its ammo. thank you every one you have been help full.:ingo:
    Ok now go GET SOME! We want pics! :popcorn:

BTW I know where some are 30mins south of Indy. $110-115 IIRC

Last edited:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Used to be some fanatics for Arisakas on Surplus Rifles site. Be warned, they are into tiny marks, series numbers and naturally Mums. Looking for Arisakas? Pawn shops and flea markets. Be aware, every story told about them is not always to be taken as veritas. Add; Watch out for caliber conversions. I have seen 30.06 (I know, .311 bore. That didn't stop them) and 8mm. (Yep, .329 bullets) Very strong action, but..........

Last edited:

henschman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    The rifles are cheap enough... you can usually get more or less intact ones for $150-300 depending on condition. As was mentioned, the issue is ammo. Prvi Partisan makes new factory ammo in 7.7x58, which as has been said can be had for under $2/round, but if you are actually going to do more than just get it out of the safe and fire a couple boxes per year, you really need to get into hand loading.

My grandpa recently gave me the one he brought back from the Pacific theater... it's got an intact mum and even has the factory canvas sling still sewn on the swivels, but it's got some splits in the wood that I need to fix before I take it out to shoot it.

FYI the Arisaka was the first standard issue battle rifle to use a chrome-lined bore and chamber. It was a bit ahead of it's time in that regard. This is nice because it means the barrels are usually still in pretty good condition, even if the rifles have been a bit neglected. Also they are said to have the strongest action of any WWII bolt action.

Top Bottom