I am *begging* you, stop carrying on an empty chamber.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I find it interesting when someone who advocates carrying an unloaded gun (with a charged magazine inserted) invokes Israeli something or other to justify it.

I know some trainers and other people who have had significant contact and training time with current day Israeli "cool guys." They did not carry unloaded guns. They carried their pistols with the chamber loaded. What may have been universal over there in the past probably isn't anymore. Everyone knows someone who was in the Israeli military, but not all of them had the same training or duties.

The reason for training to carry empty pistols was a lack of uniformity in the pistols carried. It was to accommodate training virtually everyone in the country the same way, but who carried a wide variety of pistols that had different manuals of arms.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    In my opinion, carrying with an empty chamber is a failure of mindset. It shows that the person carrying has the idea that a gun is more safe when unloaded. That's a contradiction to the first rule of gun safety. A gun is always loaded no matter what condition the gun is in. To allow the idea that a gun is safer when it's unloaded than when it's loaded is to accept that you handle an unloaded gun differently than a loaded gun. Cemeteries have plenty of folks that were killed with an unloaded gun. The only ND I've ever witnessed happened when an unloaded gun put a bullet through a wall. The carrier is also someone that carries with an empty chamber and went to show his daughter the difference between single action and double action and pulled the slide back to clear the chamber. Unfortunately, there was still a loaded mag in the gun. Fortunately, the gun was pointed away from his daughter when he pulled the trigger. That whole situation began with his belief that an empty chamber was safer than a loaded chamber and led to his thinking he was handling a safer weapon than it would have been with a round chambered.

If you really feel that a gun is more safe with an empty chamber, you need to do some sole searching to see if carrying is right for you. If you have the right mindset, it would make no difference in safety for you to carry chambered or not. If that's true, then there is no good reason to not carry a handgun with a round chambered.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    If you are not my bodyguard I really don't care if you go full condition butterscotch. I'll worry about my own fragile ass and you worry about yours.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    I not going to call no one out here, but im seeing some people in this thread preaching the whole "every sec counts" phrase, but if I go into the oc vs cc thread, you say you CC. How can you preach about seconds counting as for a round in the chamber, but not for taking that extra time to get your shirt up to grab your gun?

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    An empty chamber is an unnecessary move. It serves no practical purpose. CC, on the other hand, serves multiple purposes. Now, you may believe OC is superior, but that's a different question.

"Every second counts" doesn't mean you have hold the gun in your hands at all times. How/what you carry is a balance of many factors. That's why I think it's silly even to argue about openly carrying a rifle in the streets. Sure, it's legal, but unless the US turns into Afghanistan, it's just extra weight, and it immediately makes you a mall ninja. Again, being a mall ninja is not illegal, so have at it.

williepete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    atlanta
    CARRYING ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER WILL GET YOU KILLED.

Please, please, please stop doing this. Is it honestly better to carry no gun than carry a gun that's not ready to fight when you pull it. It will get you killed. IT WILL GET YOU KILLED. The bad guys will prevail because of the head start you gave them in the gun fight. They already have the advantage of knowing when the gun fight is going to start.

I'm tired of good guys losing gun fights. So I beg you, please, please, pretty please stop effing hamstringing yourself. If you absolutely can't bring yourself to do carry with a round chambered, carry a revolver with the chamber under the hammer empty.

I used to be guilty of this til I realized the foolishness of it. Thinking you will have the time and opportunity to rack the slide and use your gun is foolish. You also may just forget in a high stress situation. My gun is ready to fire in an emergency as it was designed to. Now the operator..me, is ready to fire as I was designed to, lol

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I used to be guilty of this til I realized the foolishness of it. Thinking you will have the time and opportunity to rack the slide and use your gun is foolish. You also may just forget in a high stress situation. My gun is ready to fire in an emergency as it was designed to. Now the operator..me, is ready to fire as I was designed to, lol

HE'S BACK!!!

Willie, we are missing you over in this thread. Please come hang out with us.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ts-aggressive-fearful-behavior-onlookers.html

JamesM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I started carrying with a round chambered, external safety activated. When I switched to a glock I for some reason wanted to carry empty chamber. The best advice I got was go ahead and carry empty chamber but count the number of times the trigger is pulled to the rear position at the end of the day. After a few days I trusted the trigger guard on my holster and carry loaded now

williepete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2014
    atlanta
    Lol, sorry, i said my piece. anything else is just "yes you did no you didn't " circle jerking. i think its stupid, they don't. neither of us will change the others mind. I will still fight for our 2a rights, regardless of my wayward cousins in the OC forum....:rockwoot:

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Lol, sorry, i said my piece. anything else is just "yes you did no you didn't " circle jerking. i think its stupid, they don't. neither of us will change the others mind. I will still fight for our 2a rights, regardless of my wayward cousins in the OC forum....:rockwoot:
    . I'm not your cousin.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Carrying on an empty chamber is like driving around without your seat belt on and thinking you will be able to put it one before a crash! Its ludicris to think that you are that quick or able. come on people lets think about this, if you have children that you are worried about getting to your loaded chamber gun you have bigger issues to address and probably need to reevaluate your kids and how you keep a firearm secure.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    500px-DerailImminent.png

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

LOL! That's what I thought. You can't back up your position so off you go.

I'm not your cousin, either.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm OK with people openly carrying their AR with an empty chamber...

… as long as they don't also carry Glocks.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    :rolleyes:

I can pee a stream a little over 7 feet if I have to go real bad. Probably not going to win any contests with that but I'm sure I could've done much farther before BPH set in.

Top Bottom